LBRP questions, Just a few quick ones
flyingmojo
post Dec 11 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Hello all,

I just have 2 questions.

First, what exactly is the purpose of the "sign of silence"? I know the sign of the enterer is used to charge the pentagram with the divine name, so it is empowered and stabilized. But I am rather unclear about the next part, the sign of silence.

Second, for the time being, I've eliminated the very beginning of the QC, you know, the part where you visualize yourself becoming as big as the universe. I found it too difficult for me to visualize, and I got befuddled when performing the actual LBRP, seeing as how I need to stay the same size, and be aware of the space in which I was constructing the pentagrams. Being simultaneously aware of the micrcosm and macrocosm, while doing the other stuff was just too damn much for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) Do you think that is unwise? Should I keep trying, or is it okay to just remain a modest height for the time being until I gain more confidence?

Thanx!

--------------------
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
Einstein

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

bym
post Dec 11 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #2

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

To respond to the second point, I think that to change the Formulae is to change the result. (This is in disagreance with most Chaos Magic(k) which offer you the choice of adapting the ritual to the point where you might as well say, 'What the hell?') These exercises were to be performed whilst the practitioner rose through their various grades on their path. There is a purpose to the description used when describing the Macrocosmic essence. It will be difficult at first but you shall prevail with practice and discipline. Of course continue with the exercise, failing that point or not, you will still gain some of the results desired.
The first part of your question, regarding the 'sign of silence' is representative of the 'god(form) Harpocrates. By giving the sign you are using an archetypal stance that will 'still' the quadrant of the banishing. Within the Ceremonial Path of Hermetic Tradition this is the beginning use of godforms. Much meditation upon each of the Signs will bring illumination and even inspiration. These Signs represent a form of Mystery Play and form an integral part of the rite. They can also represent the forces behind certain Formulae that one will use farther along the path. Learn them all. Learn what they represent/mean. As the Enterer 'opens' the way, in this case, the 'Silence' stills the astral (within the quadrant). I hope this hasn't ended sounding more mysterious or staged. Today we have the research available that was hidden from the non-initiated when I was young.
Now it IS true that one needs to follow ones own energy and path and that we shouldn't rely on others 'spells' but to create our own BUT...these ritual were designed to work for whole groups dedicated toward the Great Work and, if followed, will provide necessary benefits. There is a reason one should try to imagine being macrocosmic. The QC gives you a sense of balance and attunement with your universe. Practice well, practice often! Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

ChaosCrowley
post Dec 12 2005, 02:36 AM
Post #3

Keeper of the Philosopher's Scone
Group Icon

bym gives an excellent description of the meaning behind the assumption of the god forms. You wish to look into the mythology of Horus and Harpocrates to learn a little more.

One thing to note is that by seperating the ritual into individual parts we ignore the very skill that we are trying to develop. That of being able to see the "large picture" and "small picture" simultaneously.

We could use the classic saying of "missing the forest for the trees" to show that we are getting caught up in the details, but here we also endeavor to not "miss the trees for the forest".

In magick there are times were we need to "sink or swim" and allow ourselves to be overwhelmed in order to learn. It's doubtful that any of us on the first performance of the LBRP were greeted by the angels and buffeted by the quarterly winds as the vacuum formed and the hexagrams rushed in. In my own case there was almost nothing perceptible occuring. As we move towards mastery of the ritual it begins to unfold and it's results become noticeable.

I have noticed that you have had a number of posts on techniques to understand the LBRP. I applaud innovation although at times we can break what we attempt to improve. I have yet to see any real improvement on the LBRP, it stands as perfect ritual to be used.

Allow yourself to be overwhelmed and fail at your goals for a while, you will probably find that the fog will slowly clear to reveal indescribable beauty at both the rituals perfect simplicity and it's incomprehendable layers of depth.

The LBRP is one of those few examples that needs no modification.

We don't always need to make additions, ketchup on a hamburger may be tasty but on a 65 dollar filet mignon I would argue it should be a punishable crime.

This post has been edited by chaoscrowley37: Dec 12 2005, 02:39 AM

--------------------
"For many years I have been a Lapsed Idiot. With faith and penance, I hope one day to be a devout Imbecile again." - chaoscrowley

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse