Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Magick School, Actual credits?
Paradox
post Jun 18 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #1

The White Chaos ~Praecantrix~
Group Icon

Okay this is going to be an off the wall question.... but...

Are there any real, offline and online schools for witchcraft that aren't just money scams?
Like the degree actually means something to someone other than yourself?
I would like to think that a degree or several degrees on varies esoteric courses would be valid in "The real world" sort to speak.

--------------------
~Paradox The White Chaos~
~Praecantrix~
IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Imperial Arts
post Jun 18 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

There is ArcanoriumCollege.com..... I've been a member there since last September. It has some of the bigger names in Chaos Magic (Peter Carroll, Ian Read, Lionel Snell) and functions as an organized message forum. It is very similar to the "class lessons" segment of these forums. Membership is about $200 for one full year, in four $50 segments.

I've got to admit that I'm disappointed with them. On one had it's people whose books I've read since I was a kid, and there is one-on-one interaction with them, most of which is very down-to-earth. On the other hand there is a lot of New Age garbage there and there is just about zero dispute to anything posted by the "teachers." I think a certain amount of conflicting opinions makes things a little more well-rounded. It is very much a Chaos Magic based site, although it is not specifically marketed as such. It is not altogether bad, but after a full year you might have learned more by spending the money on books. Understand that you are paying to be at the feet of the Masters of Chaos Magic, and little else.

There is also my own Students program for [email protected], but I'll be the first to admit you get next to nothing despite it being totally free. It is assumed that you have some desire to use the stuff on the site and do so on your own without "help" from the website staff. You receive work-sheets, an email update on rare occasion, and the possibility to participate un-moderated with other students.

It could be worse. Look at http://www.academyofsorcery.com/, which is practically the very definition of a charlatan scam.

--------------------

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Jun 19 2007, 03:30 AM
Post #3

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Greetings,

In short, no, there is no school that has an “occult major”, and any organization or school that offers lessons in it are not “valid in the real world."

But if you want something applicable in a job/career with everything but the magick, then I’d go with a liberal arts education, a major in Philosophy or Humanities. Ether will do; both will have courses you will want to take. A concentration in religious philosophy is appropriate. As far as electives- and an liberal arts education will have a lot of them- go for:

Bible Studies
-Wisdom literature

Theology/Religious Studies
-World religions (general)
-Islam studies
-Christian studies (may or may not include Judaism; easy to find if not)
Less common to find are:
-Buddhism
-Hinduism
-Wicca, Witchcraft, Neo-Paganism/Earth-based Religions

Psychology
-Anything will do

Anthropology
-Culture and personality

Foreign Language
-Hebrew
Arabic
-Anything that might prove useful

Herbalism (Not likely to find)

Botany
-Plant anatomy and physiology

With a base that broad, one could probably be in middle management, or work as a temp. A graduate degree in one of them could land you teaching job with pay worth the trouble.

May not be what you wanted but hope it is sufficient.

Cheery-Bye

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse