Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Abramelin Oil.
swynwyr
post Nov 18 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #1

Initiate
Group Icon

I'm considering making some Abramelin oil partly out of curiosity but mostly for fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/connie_witchy.gif)
I think i can deffinately get hold of the ingrediants as there is a "traditional chinese medicine/ alternative medicine" shop in a town near me and they will sell raw ingrediants.

I wonder have any of you guys made Abramelin oil before?
Galangal or Calamus?
should i distill it after maceration?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Jenfucius
post Nov 19 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(swynwyr @ Nov 18 2008, 04:00 PM) *

I'm considering making some Abramelin oil partly out of curiosity but mostly for fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/connie_witchy.gif)
I think i can deffinately get hold of the ingrediants as there is a "traditional chinese medicine/ alternative medicine" shop in a town near me and they will sell raw ingrediants.

I wonder have any of you guys made Abramelin oil before?
Galangal or Calamus?

I had a freind that made it years ago. It seemed to have gotten stronger over time. It has burning sensation when applied on skin.

It depends on where you are. Galanga or Calamus could be hard to find.

-Galanga comes from Asia but you might find some at a local Asian market.
-Calamus is a North American plant. Often used by native people in Canada. It definatly didnt show up in Europe until Christopher Columbus came around. I presume early settlers were able to send some back to Europe as some form of exotic herb or spice.
-Cinammon (one of the ingredients mention by Abramelin) also came from the far east like in China.

It seems many of the herbs used by Abramelin were consider exotic and expensive back then. Hence maybe it explains its appeal.

I dont think the distilation is neccesary. I dont think Abramelin had such facilities when he made it. If you want to stick to his original method then ist probably better if you dont distill it.

+Quote Post

swynwyr
post Nov 20 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #3

Initiate
Group Icon

I was told that i t could be applied to skin rather liberally and it would be ok.. but that's not the major reason i'm making it to be honest so I don't mind, i am more interested in odour. No i definitely think Calamus is native to Europe if I am thinking of the right one (sweet flag?)

thanks though there are a lot of different recipes floating around. I think my teachers are shocked at my new-found interest in Chemistry and Natural Biology. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Jenfucius
post Nov 20 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(swynwyr @ Nov 20 2008, 12:51 PM) *
... No i definitely think Calamus is native to Europe if I am thinking of the right one (sweet flag?)

Okay maybe its a different species of calamus then.
Sorta like how there are differences between cattail found in the Old World to that of the New World.

QUOTE(swynwyr @ Nov 20 2008, 12:51 PM) *

I was told that i t could be applied to skin rather liberally and it would be ok.. but that's not the major reason i'm making it to be honest so I don't mind, i am more interested in odour.

Ive only know of two people who have made there own. Both ocassion it burns.
One already had sensative skin so it might be because of that. So it doesnt count.
The other one was a very old bottle of Abramelin oil. It seems to have gotten stronger. But I did suggest to him to dilute it with olive oil. I'm sure if its diluted correctly it could be applied to the skin no problem.

I would be curious of anyone else using Abramelin oil. Did it burn? Or did it have no ill effect?

This post has been edited by Jenfucius: Nov 20 2008, 05:24 PM

+Quote Post

Darkmage
post Nov 20 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #5

Snarkmeister
Group Icon

I've only bought Abramelin Oil from occult shops. The current stuff I have is made by Eye of the Cat, the other stuff I had was made by the wife of the owner of the occult bookshop where I bought it. They both smelled the same, but the latter had galangal fragments in it.

I've got uber-sensitive skin and am allergic to just about *everything.* I've never had a problem with the burning skin bit from Abramelin Oil, so whether or not it burns depends on how much cinnamon oil is put into it. With cinnamon a little goes a long way, so usually a couple drops of the straight essential added to a half ounce vial is enough to get the smell in there. Cinnamon oil applied straight to the skin will raise welts on pretty much anyone, so in this case less is definitely more.

As for making it, heat destroys a lot of the scent. I'd macerate the ingredients, pop them in olive or jojoba oil, let it sit in a warm sunny window for a couple of weeks, then strain and use.

--------------------
As the water grinds the stone,
We rise and fall
As our ashes turn to dust,
We shine like stars...
--Covenant, "Bullet"

+Quote Post

Jenfucius
post Nov 23 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Darkmage @ Nov 20 2008, 07:00 PM) *

I've only bought Abramelin Oil from occult shops. The current stuff I have is made by Eye of the Cat, the other stuff I had was made by the wife of the owner of the occult bookshop where I bought it. They both smelled the same, but the latter had galangal fragments in it.

I've got uber-sensitive skin and am allergic to just about *everything.* I've never had a problem with the burning skin bit from Abramelin Oil, so whether or not it burns depends on how much cinnamon oil is put into it. With cinnamon a little goes a long way, so usually a couple drops of the straight essential added to a half ounce vial is enough to get the smell in there. Cinnamon oil applied straight to the skin will raise welts on pretty much anyone, so in this case less is definitely more.

As for making it, heat destroys a lot of the scent. I'd macerate the ingredients, pop them in olive or jojoba oil, let it sit in a warm sunny window for a couple of weeks, then strain and use.

Yeah in the case of the two people I know I suspect they might have used too much cinnamon oil. I know for a fact pure cinanmon oil burns having applied it my self a number of yeasr ago.
I suggested to one of the poeple to dilute it down with olive oil.

+Quote Post

Dreamer
post Jan 2 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

It's not only about the Abramelin oil, or the cinnamon one.
Generally all ethereal/essential oils should never be applied directly to the skin, while in pure form; they can cause skin damage.
Because they can get rather expensive, frequently in the market they are sold washy/diluted, which makes them not to burn as much as they should.

Although I'm not sure and I'll have to check it out, I think that these oils should are often diluted in almond oil before used on the skin.

This post has been edited by Dreamer: Jan 2 2009, 09:44 PM

--------------------
"We shall dive down through black abysses...
and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever"

H.P.Lovecraft

+Quote Post

Jenfucius
post May 25 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #8

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(swynwyr @ Nov 18 2008, 05:00 PM) *

Galangal or Calamus?

I would recomend you buy from the store.
In order for you to distill it you need tons and tons of that stuff. It gets rather expensive and time consuming. And your desire result may be inferior.*
*Commercially availaible oils are distilled at precise temperature (finding the right temp is the hard part too).

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse