Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Psychic Abilities
Thorn
post Aug 10 2008, 12:36 AM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Okay, so a lot of people on here have abilities of some sort or another. Empaths, telepaths, healers, psychics, many with Sight and other magical senses... my question is, do you think these abilities are something you need to be born with? It seems that most of these people have been able to See or whatever it is they do since they were very young. Can one develop these with practice? Is there anyone here who in fact *wasn't* born with an ability, but gained it through their own effort? Any thoughts or methods, throw them in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wizard.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 13)
Neshamah
post Aug 10 2008, 05:22 AM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

This is a great question, and one which has occupied my thoughts a great deal.

I was born as a Clairvoyant Empath, as I began to experience these gifts / curses at a very early age (3 or 4). I also began to do some Astral Travel before I knew what to call it or what to do with it (I was about 9 or so). However, I've known many people who have learned how to perform Astral Travel later in life, so I suppose that all of the "abilities" could be learned.

Some "abilities" are easier to learn than others, however. As I stated, I've known many people who have learned to Travel Astrally, but not as many who have learned Clairvoyance, and even less who have learned to be an Empath (only one I can think of). Perhaps people have to be "pre-disposed" to these "abilities," as people are pre-disposed to losing their hair, or to diabetes. That would make it a genetic issue and not an issue of learning, per se. I'm sure that would make ol' Dr. Dee happy, as he tried all his life (without success) to learn to skry, yet his raucous friend, Ed Kelley could do it with ease.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Peace Profound to All,

Neshamah

--------------------

Neshamah, F.'.R.'.C.'.

IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post

Krell
post Aug 10 2008, 07:39 AM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

I think everyone has all of the abilities. In some esoteric history we all once had them, and will again. The thinking is that it is part of the Shift we are going through at this time. I have more or less tested the theory that everyone has the abilities by bending conversations to the subject. Many become aware and are afraid. Now I have not done this with everybody I have met but a fair number, still not very scientific.

In my family, particularly my mom's side all have had experiences, of some kind. It is talked about freely by many. So from that side none of that "nonsense" was supressed in anyway. These "abilities" are fairly strong in the family. Some of us cultivated the abilities, and use them one a regular basis.

I think these abilities are a matter of awareness. We are all going to be totally telepathic, etc. as we were originally, according to some. We will all get there eventually, but you can speed up the process with exercises. As you exercise the senses the the field of "view", and/or the frequency range widens. I think it needs to be done at a speed the individual can handle it, or one could go insane. Insane not actually because your are "seeing" something that is not there but because you can "see" something that most can't. If the senses were to open too far too fast you would be "seeing" stuff you have no reference or experience you would go insane. I suspect that there are many in institutions for this very reason, and many of those are just more evolved, not crazy.

That was awkward. In other words. If I was with my father's side of the family, it would have been different. I would have been considered crazy by the family at least, and or my awareness of these senses would have been at least stunted, if not wiped out.

Now astral travel is very difficult for me. I don't know why. I can't seem to get out and one the few times when I had it is only a few seconds. I even have a friend that comes and takes me off with her. But if she lets go of me I am back. I am beginning to think I misused the ability and have set up so fail safe so I don't abuse astral travel this time. Unless shamanic journeying is the same thing, I suspect it may be, but have no reference to compare.

Krell

+Quote Post

SonOfAbraham
post Aug 11 2008, 10:52 AM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

I definitely think that there is a genetic predisposition to having spiritual gifts. I have them, my dad has them, and his father had them, and his father had him (and so on, and so forth).

Can these abilities be learned? Absolutely. Depends on how much willpower you have(to not give up, which again is genetically predisposed)

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Aug 11 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #5

Practicus
Group Icon

Personally, I beleive all of these 'abilities' are just manifestations of a single 'additional' sense that everyone has. Some people are better at connecting this sixth sense to other senses, so we get Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, etc. - it's a holographic sort of sense, or rather, a sense which interprets the holographic nature of our reality. But, we have either lost, or not developed yet, a common experiential language of common parlance - such as colors, notes, textures, tastes, and smells - which we can use to teach one another to experience this other sense in it's own pure right, as it's own sense experience.

For instance, you can experience texture just by looking at something. You know what, say, wool feels like, so you look at it and can imagine that you are touching it easily. However, you may mistake something that simply looks like wool for the actual thing just by looking. The same thing goes for interpreting your sixth sense according to another sense. In my opinion, this is why so many so called 'psychics' have so many 'misses' - their brain is creating representations of holographic information that they have not learned to interpret in a pure sensory way.

Most so called psychics do have this component to their experience - most will say that they not only see something, but recieve some kind of information along with it that isn't represented visually, audially, etc., but which is simply 'intuition'.

I think that the inability to properly express and thus exchange purer information regarding the sixth sensory experience, it what generates these abilities in some people. In those who are not naturally able to connect one sense with another - not everyone, for instance, can interpret texture using their eyes, or distance using their ears, even though we do so subconsciously all of the time - they simply do not develop the necessary neural connections to interpret their sixth sense visually, audially, somatically, etc. Empathy and/or telepathy could be, in my opinion, considered closer to the actual experience itself, but still this is pasting another experience on top of it to make 'sense' of it (pardon the pun.)

So, this is to say, some people have a natural predisposition to connecting their senses, some people do not. Those people that do can develop clairvoyance, etc. Those who can't, will not develop that so called gift. On the one hand it's a hinderance, because there is so little common language to lead them towards embracing the experience of the sixth (and theoretically seventh+) senses. On the other hand, those who do explore that elusive sense that literally transcends most common human experience entirely, are usually the more accurate 'psychics' with far fewer misses. Like the interpretation of any other sensory experience, it can be 'read wrong' - you can misread a word, mishear a sound, less commonly but also mis-smell a smell, etc.; you can mis-experience the sensory input on the sixth sensory vector as well.

I believe that the sixth sense, and others, are a simply reality of the human experience. Being less 'tangible', or more properly, just ignored, of our sensory experiences, we don't talk about it. If no one talked about the sense of touch, we would all take it for granted as well and would have difficulty discussing our experiences with the somatic sense - if indeed we tried to discuss it at all.

peace
V

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Aphrodite
post Aug 12 2008, 09:08 PM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

Yes we all have these abilities and they can be developed or sharpened with occult activities.

+Quote Post

VitalWinds
post Nov 25 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #7

Zelator
Group Icon

me? im a natural empath.always have been. i can communicate telepathically with some good degree of effort but only to people who are listening for it. i learned the telepathy along with healing and clairvoyance(i was a little predisposed to it). im a good healer, but only because its the main thing i do. one of the only things i LIKE to do actually. i can scry to a small degree(also the teensiest bit predisposed to) and theres one more thing i am natural at, although i consider it a nuisance(sp?). if i keep my astral hearing open, i can lay down to sleep and in that drifting between asleep and awake,i hear voices moving all around me. i suppose i must be hearing the dream world/astral realm or something, but i really dont care for that. i need my sleep. i may sound like im either full of it, or really naturally talented, but in all honesty, im not as great as i may sound when i say all that. but yeah, practice practice practice. any ability can be gained as long as you believe in yourself. sounds corny or whatever, but its true.

--------------------
Peace.

+Quote Post

Xenomancer
post Aug 29 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #8

Rode off into the sunset...
Group Icon
From: AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON

Okay, so a lot of people on here have abilities of some sort or another. Empaths, telepaths, healers, psychics, many with Sight and other magical senses... my question is, do you think these abilities are something you need to be born with? It seems that most of these people have been able to See or whatever it is they do since they were very young. Can one develop these with practice? Is there anyone here who in fact *wasn't* born with an ability, but gained it through their own effort? Any thoughts or methods, throw them in. wizard.gif

Everyone has them. It takes some more work than others, similar to the idea that some people are born with a disposition to math, and others towards art. Psychic prowess is another intelligence, but has not been formally recognized. As it acts the same way as a facet of intelligence, it should be treated as such that it needs to be explored and practiced.

Predisposition to prowess is always a factor, but a predisposed psychic who is lazy won't be able to do half the things a "muggle" who works his/her but off can do.

--------------------
IPB Image
¡HA HA! ¡ESTOY USANDO EL INTERNET!
-Never learn the Art of Sword before the Art of Dance. - Celtic Proverb
-Even with spiritual power, an unchecked ego will only seek to deify itself. - Frank MacEowen
-One cannot traverse waters without causing waves. - Xenomancer
-I find it interesting that we as scholars of metaphysics have no problem discussing the intricacies of the threads of reality, but when it comes to the things that really matter, we forget them. - Xenomancer
-This world is your home. We have a mix of everything here. If you want better, make better. There's no rule of going elsewhere for the tools. That's what magick is about. - Xenomancer

+Quote Post

soulmage
post Sep 15 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #9

Neophyte
Group Icon

Its true everyone can learn anything the mind and soul offer,, some however is Talented or should i say Gifted, like im not the best of the best in normal day things or work im good but not gifted, what i can i have learned during this life.
On the otherside im gifted spiritually since child, pretty much any spiritual ability is easy for me to reach some abilities im very gifted in others i just need to play with ones or twice to open up, one ability im talented in is drawing sorrow or anger out of people im not sure what this ability is called i havent met anyone able to do this in my life yet, this is one of the abilities i can amongst others, these was not taught to me i was born with them, i did keep them secret for a long long time because i was afraid that maybe something was wrong with me, i was well up in my teenage years before i spoke of my abilities.
I believe some are born very gifted and some is nearly closed to these abilities but anything is possible and anything can be taught more or less just like work or sport there will always be some more talented then others but we can all reach the goal if we put enough willpower and energy into it.

+Quote Post

Shimi
post Oct 18 2009, 07:53 PM
Post #10

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thorn @ Aug 10 2008, 01:36 AM) *

Okay, so a lot of people on here have abilities of some sort or another. Empaths, telepaths, healers, psychics, many with Sight and other magical senses... my question is, do you think these abilities are something you need to be born with? It seems that most of these people have been able to See or whatever it is they do since they were very young. Can one develop these with practice? Is there anyone here who in fact *wasn't* born with an ability, but gained it through their own effort? Any thoughts or methods, throw them in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wizard.gif)

Some people might have more developed senses(just like with the regular ones) and some may have less developed energetic senses. In the end, it doesnt matter though since we all have them at various dagree's of mastery over those senses. In my personal opinion, anyone can learn how to stimulate those "senses" and work them. Get better over time etc etc...

Thing is, that its easier to think that some people are "special" and are just born that way. Because if its denied for you, you wont have to go through the lengthy process of studying and exercising to get better at it(laziness basicaly).

Also, and in conclusion, all those "gifted" people that love to tell you all about it... worked their asses off to understand and do what they do(from the smallest and most boring thing you heard to the more complicated stuff).

So... regarding your last question... everyone may be "sensitive" but to actively do something... some practice and study is in order(a lot even).

Hope this helps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

xXDaemonReignXx
post Oct 19 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #11

Zelator
Group Icon

We are all born with latent talent, just takes the person to realize there potential. I think that some abilities require a certain personality like determination or creativity etc
somethings just require you to have a childish mind and believe in the unbelievable.
small feats of magic can give you courage to use bigger feats of magic I find as well.
Will power and energy are the main things anyway. the rest takes time.

--------------------
“Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted. Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world.”

+Quote Post

cavey
post Dec 22 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #12

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thorn @ Aug 10 2008, 07:36 PM) *

Yeah like everyone has said some abilities your just naturally gifted in. but in saying that i never use to be able to use magical sight i use to use feeling in my body to sence aura an entities that were around etc (may sounds strange but i have known people to sence arua through taste lol) but one day i just decided to use sight and I worked at it and now im able to use both so yeah (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Rae'ya
post Dec 26 2009, 02:00 AM
Post #13

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thorn @ Aug 10 2008, 04:06 PM) *

I believe that everyone is born with some psychic ability, but that the ability will grow and manifest in people in different ways. I believe that some people never develop the ability into a tangible talent, while others may seem to have natural, effortless talent, and others can develop and improve their talent with practice and concerted effort.

I also believe that the way in which our psychic ability manifests (or doesn't manifest) is highly dependent on the society in which we are bought up, our personality, our childhood conditioning, and the cultural context and paradigm in which we practice. These things may contribute to the way our psyches operate to the point that certain psychic 'talents' are much easier or harder than others. So while we may all be born with the ability, we aren't always capable of reaching a high level of proficiency. And we aren't always capable of developing our ability in every possible way that it can manifest.

I like to use the analogy of art and drawing. Every one is capable of drawing a basic stick figure to represent a person. We all have that talent built into us (though I should qualify that and say providing we have the ability to use our hands and eyes). However, some people seem to be natural artists, who can produce masterpieces with seemingly little effort. Others study and practice for years to develop the ability to draw well. Others will always have a skewed sense of perspective or inability to reproduce an image no matter how much they study and practice (this doesn't mean they can't draw, it just means that they can't reproduce an image, and should therefore focus on a different area of art which utilise the talents and abilities in different ways). And on top of that, our personalities and cultural conditioning will have an affect on what we consider 'good art', and therefore affect in which direction we take our ability and talents, or what area we feel is important enough to study and practice and develop. So while we all may carry the ability, we will all manifest and utilise it in different ways.

So, just like in art, while we may all have the ability to develop a certain level of empathy or clairvoyance or energy manipulation, we aren't all capable of being brilliant mediums or will find scrying or journeying or weather magic easy.

+Quote Post

Shimi
post Feb 17 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #14

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thorn @ Aug 10 2008, 01:36 AM) *

Let me tell you this.. in fact none of those people who "did" things since they were young.. other then those with "sensing" abillities(wether to see or feel or whatever it is) actually had any special ability to do anything out of the ordinary. Those are happy accidents which we all remmember. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) They can happan for manny varried reasons. So in conclusion only sensory wise we are all "open" to a certain degree, some more and some less.. without making an effort(or learning anything on the way to achieve those "abbilities", even though i would preffer calling them "tools"). Only superheroes in movies wake up one day with powers which they do not need to know anything about.. and still make them work... just by wishing for it. To actually improve someone's health or lessen the pain\injury extent(as in healing), to change an outcome of an event(without phisicaly working for it), to manipulate other people(without much in the way of interacting with them) and anything else you can list here.. there are specific things to be done.. techniques and exercises and understandings to be learned. No way around them sadly(as i keep finding out with each passing year hehe while trying to find faster and quicker ways for new people interested in the subject to get started) and wishfull thinking doesnt help much either. It is a very technical world we live in wether phisical or otherwise, all has its own set of facts and rulles and ways in which everything interacts with one another to create an outcome or to lead to one. Sadly its not as simple and fantastic as written in manny places, at least not as fantastic as some want it to be. (of course i do not mean to harm anyone's feelings by calling them "liers", because i am sure that for them it was very real and their only explanation of the "accident" is that they performed it even without having the proper expirience and tools to achieve the effect.. so do treat my opinion as an opinion only (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

Now that we covered that, i can continue to the question part of your post. ^^
-Anyone can develop to a certain(!) extent any "tool" or "abillity"(if they are passive, and by your words i take it you meant the passive abbilities of course. Healing and anything that effects others around you not being included in this answer) with practice and the proper understanding of the process and elements that interact to create the desired effect.
-I do not recongise what you listed as "abillities" other then the sensory part. Saying that i cannot truthfully say that i was born without it. All of us have it open to a certain extent as i said before, and mine was quite open to begin with... which did help me to speed up things a bit on my own. But(!) no, you do not have to be born with an overactive sensory capability(regarding sensing energy of others and around you that is) and it can be "upgraded" so to speak with practice overtime.
-I have manny thoughts and methods to share, but there is no post long enough to list them all and not even 5 or 10 hours of just typing will be enough to finish hehe. Though you are more then welcome to address me in personal massage's and i will be very glad to share some of the begginers exercises to develop your energy work and energy sensitivity and basic understanding of the energy works within your body.(again sadly i cannot write everything down just like that.. if it helps to realise the trouble with that request i wrote about 60 articles about basic energy work in the israeli site me and a former student are running).

Best of luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(and sorry i just noticed i allready replied to this in the past, but i guess this is a more informed reply so ill be keeping it :3 )

This post has been edited by Shimi: Feb 17 2010, 04:12 PM

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse