Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Any Modern Day Equivilents?, regardie, bardon, crowley
☞Tomber☜
post Jul 6 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Who are the modern day equivilents of these famous and great magicians? (regardie, bardon, crowley ...ect)
I wasn't looking for astrologers particularly, like liz greene, but was hoping that there would be some that are
still alive that I just don't know of? thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused012.gif)

--------------------
QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jan 30 2013, 02:19 AM) *
Expect nothing, or you will get caught up in the future and not pay attention to the present. Just do the practice diligently, do it because you enjoy it, do it because you believe in it. Don't wait for results, don't wait for it to happen.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
monkman418
post Aug 15 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Tomber @ Jul 6 2010, 01:10 PM) *

Who are the modern day equivilents of these famous and great magicians? (regardie, bardon, crowley ...ect)
I wasn't looking for astrologers particularly, like liz greene, but was hoping that there would be some that are
still alive that I just don't know of? thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused012.gif)

In terms of "after Crowley," many Crowley people hold J. Daniel Gunther and James Eshelman in high regard, both of whom are members of Crowley's A.'. A.'. and also pioneering authors. In Crowley's OTO, some would put Lon Milo Duquette and Hymaneus Beta in a similar category, at least as authors and/or scholars.

I hold Stephen Skinner in high regard for his magickal scholarship and books.

Chic and Tabatha Cicero claim a line of Golden Dawn descent through Israel Regardie, so he obviously thought they were legitimate (and I think the Cicero's books that I've read are quite good as well). Other G.D. groups, not sure.

Among the druids, or celtic revival group, John Michael Greer has made new waves as a prominent practitioner and scholar.

Among Chaos Magicians, Peter J. Carroll has been a leading author.

Not sure about Wicca, though Scott Cunningham and Silver Ravenwolf are popular authors. The Theosophical movement and Dion Fortune's Society for the Inner Light are around still too, but I'm really not sure about them.

The vast majority of Occult literature out there is aimed at persons who have never been involved in a magical group and/or absolute beginners, which seems to match the market demand. I think a lot of the older stuff embraces a level of greater complexity than is generally offered by many of the modern authors. I tend to treat Regardie and friends as more "standard source material."

That said, I highly, highly appreciate Donald Michael Kraig's "Modern Magick," which is very approachable but also deep.

This post has been edited by monkman418: Aug 15 2010, 10:17 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Aug 16 2010, 04:39 PM
Post #3

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Aug 15 2010, 11:51 PM) *

I hold Stephen Skinner in high regard for his magickal scholarship and books.
The vast majority of Occult literature out there is aimed at persons who have never been involved in a magical group and/or absolute beginners, which seems to match the market demand. I think a lot of the older stuff embraces a level of greater complexity than is generally offered by many of the modern authors.

Stephen Skinner is an excellent researcher writer. I agree that many books now are for the beginner which is sad because I have to look for complexity and nuance in magick scholarship, which often is far too dry and hard to use in practice. That said the Magic in History Series is very good. Thomas Cleary did some of the best translations of Hindu Buddhist, Taoist, sikh writings around. Owen Davies, has a few books about western magick that while it is scholarship it is applicable to personal practice with out much extra work.

I'm not has familiar with the western mystery cults and CM as I should be, so I leave that to others.

Of the people who practice what they write on, I like Eva Wong as she is a skilled reliable author of manuals for eastern magic and occult science. Martin Coleman "Communing With the Spirits" is highly respected, I can’t speak about the rest of his works, though. Jenny Blain is a respected practitioner of traditional Norse magick- and the only one I have found that is a practicing shaman. Robin Artisson is my favorite author witchcraft and very respected by people who practice hedgewitchery or so I’m told. The author who goes by the name Seth has a following but I don't think he has published anything comparable to Anton LaVey's work.

I know your not looking for astrologers but concerning the art, Robert Pelletier has some of the best books on the topic.

This post has been edited by fatherjhon: Aug 16 2010, 04:44 PM

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

☞Tomber☜
post Aug 16 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

Hey thanks guys I am writing down a bunch of these guys so I can order their book. And I check out Robert Pelletier's stuff because I actually haven't heard about him so this has all been very helpful

--------------------
QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jan 30 2013, 02:19 AM) *
Expect nothing, or you will get caught up in the future and not pay attention to the present. Just do the practice diligently, do it because you enjoy it, do it because you believe in it. Don't wait for results, don't wait for it to happen.

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Aug 17 2010, 02:12 AM
Post #5

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(☞Tomber☜ @ Aug 16 2010, 07:45 PM) *

Hey thanks guys I am writing down a bunch of these guys so I can order their book. And I check out Robert Pelletier's stuff because I actually haven't heard about him so this has all been very helpful

No problem. It can be frustrating to find modern respected and knowledgeable authors once you read the "magickal classics". You can still find a good number of people writing about magick from all sorts of perspectives but none of them publish as prolifically as the ones in the yearly 1900's. Chaos is the only discipline with any where near the volume of work published by the old CM lodges.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse