Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Baphomet, what your view on Baphomet
Cloud Hex
post Jan 23 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

Heres what I understand:

It is a personification of the Life Force of every being, the sum of all Life on Earth.

Baphomet is the All-begetter and All-devourer. It is both man, animal and plant. It is ever changing, ever growing and dying. It is filled with a dionysian will to grow, feed, mate, survive and die, again and again. It is filled with the ecstatic joy of life and death, and it exists inside every living being.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Acid09
post Jun 5 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #2

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

From a psychological point of view from what I've read baphomet is a chimera of natural forces that embody the whole of humanity itself. I think the symbol shows us an image of what some are afraid to acknowledge within themselves, that dispite our "civilization" we are beasts at heart. Beasts who have the power over parts of nature, and yet are equally submissive to its whims.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Imperial Arts
post Jun 7 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

Baphomet originally designated the Idol of the Templars, used in their rituals. Supposedly they would kiss the Baphomet and do other odd things.

This idol was said to have been uncovered in Jerusalem by the Templars, who afterward re-created themselves under the name of St. John the Baptist. The thing itself is reputedly the bronzed head of John the Baptist, kept by Herod after his wife coerced him to execute St. John for his insults against their worship of Astaroth. Its eyes are set with almandine garnets.

According to legend, the Baphomet was exported and resides now somewhere in the catacombs of France. It was considered demonic by the Church, who wanted to denigrate the Templars as much as possible.

As a figure in Templar history, and the traditional association of Freemasonry with the Templars, it came into the general realm of esoteric lore. Though I assume Eliphas Levi introduced it into magical occultism specifically, Crowley adopted it as his own pseudo-masonic title in the OTO. The design on Lavey's books is actually taken from a book about the Templars.

The five-pointed star undoubtedly refers to Venus, as it does commonly in occult lore, in masonry, and even on the seal of Astaroth itself. Would the Baphomet projected on a five-pointed star then signify a binding of the spirit of St. John by the power of Astaroth?

There are also legends of the Sibyl with the brazen head that speaks oracles of Belial, similar Medieval tales, and Crowley's unpublished Ritual of the Brazen Head. These all indicate the use of a severed and bronze-preserved head that people force to give oracles through occult rituals.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Cloud Hex   Baphomet   Jan 23 2007, 01:59 PM
DeathStalker   Heres what I understand: It is a personification ...   Jan 23 2007, 07:59 PM
Cloud Hex   That's pretty much what it is, but some extrem...   Jan 23 2007, 09:48 PM
J*S   I think that you guys are nailing it, at least as ...   Jan 24 2007, 04:30 AM
Cloud Hex   I think that you guys are nailing it, at least as ...   Jan 24 2007, 10:12 AM
J*S   I'm interested in knowing just what are the ma...   Jan 24 2007, 11:03 AM
Enkidu   Magical image of the universe.Therefore most simil...   Jan 25 2007, 05:17 AM
Cloud Hex   Magical image of the universe.Therefore most simil...   Jan 25 2007, 10:34 AM
J*S   Not unless there is a Croatian hiding under my sta...   Jan 25 2007, 10:39 AM
J*S   I have discussed it with him now. He is in agreem...   Jan 26 2007, 11:17 AM
Cloud Hex   I have discussed it with him now. He is in agreem...   Jan 26 2007, 01:42 PM
J*S   Can you please explain more clearly? I'm a lit...   Jan 27 2007, 03:38 AM
bym   Greetings! You-all may find this article inter...   Jan 26 2007, 01:56 PM
Cloud Hex   Greetings! You-all may find this article inter...   Jan 27 2007, 09:48 AM
Cloud Hex   Thinking back to a something I read on another sit...   Jan 28 2007, 01:24 AM
Rick   http://www.geocities.com/go_darkness/god-baphomet....   May 12 2007, 09:36 AM
J*S   As a point of interest, I have also heard it said ...   Jun 8 2007, 12:36 AM
Joseph   As a point of interest, I have also heard it said ...   Jun 17 2007, 09:03 PM
Noxifer_616   Heres what I understand: It is a personification ...   Jul 27 2007, 08:41 PM
azareth   I have a question BTW,I heard of the inverted pent...   May 10 2009, 08:57 AM

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse