Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

SM Newsletter, Volunteers and ideas?
+ Kinjo -
post Sep 7 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

SM has an average of 1000 unique visitors daily to both the forums/the library and I'm thinking to publish a newsletter to a market size of at least 100 - 1000 interested subscribers.

Now this is just an idea for now since I have very little writing skill and occult knowledge, so I started this topic here to see if anyone has ideas, want to volunteer articles, and what else...

--------------------
IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
fatherjhon
post Dec 16 2007, 07:15 PM
Post #2

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Greetings,

Organizing it need not be a pain. Weekly or monthly yes, but with a bi-annual schedule it is reasonable to simply provide a place to deposit articles where they will be compiled. At worsted the editor puts out a call for papers and it gets published when there are enough submissions. Creating a theme and editing can be preformed rather late in the process and sorted out based on submissions received. The trick will be to get people to write- the herding cats bit. Yet even this can be easier, taking examples set by scholarly journals, the articles could describe recent projects, experiments, oddities and the like by members. A quick search of the forums revealed that many members have posted many interesting things that with a bit of work could be converted in to articles, also removing much of the hassle associated with writing. With some commentary and analysis- perhaps even suggested reading- a sizable article would not be out of the question. That approach, hopefully, would also- because it removes the daunting aspect of finding and researching a topic- get more people to participate, but it will depend on the type of publication.

The form and content will be decided on when the type of newsletter the community decides it wants is fixed. An update style where the recent activities are recorded will be very different to an explainer where topics are examined, so that should be decided first. Alliteratively it could be in the styled “annals” where any number of things- not necessarily for SM but related- are compiled and commented on.

“Lastly, I think we can have and offer some after article topics that last until the next publication. This can provide for off topic discussions as well as more to the point discussions.” I like this idea, provides more content for both the forums and the newsletter.

For my part, I spend a good bit of my time editing anyway, so I would love the chance to work on a project of my own choosing for once. If this gets off the ground I could even provide an article.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
| Kinjo   SM Newsletter   Sep 7 2005, 07:43 PM
chaoscrowley37   Are you planning on publishing it electronically (...   Sep 7 2005, 09:52 PM
Bb3   It's really a great idea and if I wrote anythi...   Sep 8 2005, 01:23 AM
chaoscrowley37   Is this idea moving along? bb3's idea of a pl...   Sep 20 2005, 05:05 AM
SlowLoris   I'd love to be involved with this.   Sep 20 2005, 05:40 AM
A_Smoking_Fox   good idea. I am willing to write something for it.   Sep 20 2005, 06:35 AM
| Kinjo   I'm not quite sure how we get started on this ...   Sep 20 2005, 07:32 AM
paxx   I am re-igniting this thread. I think the board is...   Dec 15 2007, 06:28 PM
fatherjhon   Did this topic die again... and so soon? Or maybe ...   Dec 22 2007, 01:54 AM
Paradox   Seems like a good idea I'd be interested as we...   Dec 27 2007, 09:11 PM
fatherjhon   That’s good. Do you have a favorite topic or doing...   Dec 28 2007, 07:25 AM
Paradox   Thats actually a good idea, That topic did grab a ...   Dec 28 2007, 04:08 PM
SPoison   How's the progress on this so far?   Dec 29 2007, 11:22 AM
fatherjhon   Nothing has been submitted, if that is your questi...   Dec 29 2007, 11:53 AM
SPoison   Alright then, I'll see what I can turn up for ...   Dec 29 2007, 02:53 PM
paxx   Sorry, been occupied of late. From the mod/admin ...   Jan 2 2008, 03:50 PM
+ Kinjo -   I've seen the occult newsletter ideas been thr...   Jan 2 2008, 04:31 PM
fatherjhon   I've seen the occult newsletter ideas been thr...   Jan 2 2008, 09:38 PM
+ Kinjo -   I can sympathize. About five minutes of reflection...   Jan 3 2008, 07:59 AM
SeekerVI   What about an annual or a biannual publication to ...   Jan 4 2008, 07:56 PM
fatherjhon   What about an annual or a biannual publication to ...   Jan 5 2008, 05:48 AM
paxx   Sorry, started a new job recently that has had me ...   Jan 5 2008, 12:28 PM
fatherjhon   Personally in mind I had the concept of two articl...   Jan 5 2008, 12:58 PM
paxx   On the articles, composting, taking bio-waste mate...   Jan 5 2008, 08:30 PM
fatherjhon   On the articles, composting, taking bio-waste mate...   Jan 6 2008, 05:50 PM
fatherjhon   Greetings, It has been awhile. I used the time c...   Feb 7 2008, 12:34 PM

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse