Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Evocation For Non-christians, How do Pagans do it?
Petrus
post Jan 16 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

So I've recently been reading Summoning Spirits. It's an interesting book, but something that struck me is that the rituals in it are as Jewish as the proverbial Bar Mitzvah.

This begs a couple of questions.

1) How do people who adhere to non-Abrahamic religions perform evocations?
2) Are these rituals intended to imply that Judaism genuinely is "the truth," in a supreme or objective sense, to a greater degree than that of other religious systems?

--------------------
Magical Evocation. All the fun of train surfing, without having to leave the house.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Vagrant Dreamer
post Jan 16 2008, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Practicus
Group Icon

QUOTE(Petrus @ Jan 16 2008, 03:52 PM) *
So I've recently been reading Summoning Spirits. It's an interesting book, but something that struck me is that the rituals in it are as Jewish as the proverbial Bar Mitzvah.

This begs a couple of questions.

1) How do people who adhere to non-Abrahamic religions perform evocations?
2) Are these rituals intended to imply that Judaism genuinely is "the truth," in a supreme or objective sense, to a greater degree than that of other religious systems?

Well, there are more pagan ways to do evocation. If you want to work with grimoires, there are two points of view.

The first is that you must follow the grimoire to the letter, and more than that you must actually believe in what you're doing, therefore you have to make some kind of subconscious connection to the judaic and even catholic faiths.

That said, many practitioners believe that the spirits of the grimoires are objective spiritual entities who exist outside the physical planes. In this case, ultimately there is a formula that is used to summon them - and the differences between all of the grimoires suggests that there is not, really, only one way to do so.

So, I suggest looking into Hermetic Magick. Start at the root, with these books: Hermetic Magic and The Greek Magical Papyri.

A book that I also recently read, which turned out to be excellent although it is often, as far as my experience with it's 'followers' as it were, misinterpreted greatly, is here: Ceremonial Magic and the Power of Evocation.

There are not many texts relating to pagan evocation, and many of the texts I have read that were more modern oriented turned out to be dead ends.

I think that building your own system of evocation requires a great deal of experience and knowledge, and of course the practice itself requires a great deal of dedication. The tendancy is to build a system which is expedient, simplistic, and quick - which evocation is not. It must be a formula which fully involves your consciousness, your being, it must exalt your mind and spirit, and make a connection with spiritual power that will allow for evocation to take place.

Also, there are two forms of evocation - physical evocation, which is concerned primarily with the manifestations of demonic entities and neutral, typically elemental, entities; and the evocation of intelligences. Physical evocation is for accomplishing material things, including in many cases the direct transmission of knowledge. Evoking intelligences does not require a physical manifestation - they can be communed with through some astral medium, such as a mirror or skrying bowl, or communed with directly if you have such a skill. Their purpose is to instruct or inform you, from my experience with them, which is personally my primary experience in evocation. While they can help you accomplish things as well, their purview is more along the lines of the necessary information to accomplish a goal, rather than doing it for you. Evoking angels is a similar thing, they will help you, instruct you, and bring higher currents of divine energy into your life, but they will not heed your beck and call. People may have differing views, ultimately much of it depends on your subconscious belief in what these various entities can do for you, because it is your consciousness they will use as a connection to this plane.

Also, while you may not agree with the religious doctrines of the Jewish and Catholic faiths, you do believe in divinity, yes? That there is ultimately a source from which all existence springs? Really consider your own basic beliefs, and then decide whether they are really so different from the beliefs of creation from these other points of view. Taking the dogma, the rituals of those religions aside. You don't have to be jewish or catholic to use the grimoires - but you do need to form a connection to those religions, and respect for them.

They don't imply that abrahamic are the supreme truth, but that the individuals that wrote them (they did not materialize from the source itself) followed them personally - and, given their practices, more than likely held a more mystical, non-mainstream view of them. Plus, as you may read in some of the books mentioned above, one of the reasons there is so much catholic imagery involved in the grimoires is because those that wrote them did so during a period where not being catholic was very dangerous. Many of the judaic grimoires more than likely did not survive that period intact, but some of them did.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

MagicIsMight
post Jan 16 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

I suggest that you discover FIRST 'who' it is you are approaching in such work. It is the "God of the Grimoires" and is indeed one of the many facets to finding him. And yes, be careful with those who misinterpret Ceremonial Magic and the Power of Evocation: these are New Agers. Know this: their explanations are like wheat which the wind blows away. Many times though, they are misinterpretations and THIS is the main difference--also, their ignorance comes from a lack of EXPERIENCE which is perfectly okay--they will learn--or won't. I have personally worked with someone from this forum and thankfully after much time, she came to the realization that she could properly evoke these beings using this way of approching God. You are not a 'quick fix' as it were, and if you think this is for you, then I'd happily answer any questions you may have. As Dr. John Dee said, "Divinity is as close to you as your hand and nearer than your breath." This is your starting point and we could always work with this belief system, but the rules are the rules and CANNOT be changed. Otherwise you will end up with MAJOR 'slingshot effects' and PARTIAL results. Try it for yourself. I am not wrong here. If the need should arise and you are SERIOUS about this, please contact me via the forum. I have dealt with individuals who were in your shoes from sacred-magick and they are now doing PHENOMENALLY well.

Mr. Curi

This post has been edited by Mr. Curi: Jan 16 2008, 07:00 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

Magia est Potentia!

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Petrus   Evocation For Non-christians   Jan 16 2008, 02:52 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   Mr. Curi, Having read Lisiewiski's book, Cerem...   Jan 16 2008, 09:33 PM
Mr. Curi   I have neither ignored nor misunderstood a single ...   Jan 17 2008, 04:15 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   I think you have misunderstood what he meant by th...   Jan 17 2008, 11:34 PM
Mr. Curi   If Lisiewski's book does not cover an 'adv...   Jan 18 2008, 01:19 PM
Petrus   I suggest that you discover FIRST 'who' it...   Jan 19 2008, 06:39 PM
loki   If you don't have these already,you might want...   Jan 19 2008, 07:21 PM
Petrus   If you don't have these already,you might want...   Jan 19 2008, 10:10 PM
rif   So, I suggest looking into Hermetic Magick. Start ...   Apr 6 2008, 05:51 PM
Imperial Arts   It is always amusing to see how people react when ...   Jan 16 2008, 08:09 PM
altpath   Work with the grimoires as best as you can, as muc...   Jan 16 2008, 08:24 PM
altpath   Mr. Curi, I'm sure that everyone here would a...   Jan 17 2008, 05:22 PM
Mr. Curi   Yes, sorry I meant to edit that. I too like the v...   Jan 17 2008, 06:04 PM
Hideout   So I've recently been reading Summoning Spirit...   Jan 18 2008, 01:07 PM
bym   This is turning into a squabble. On one hand I hav...   Jan 18 2008, 09:24 PM
altpath   can we hear from those that have tried non-traditi...   Jan 18 2008, 09:49 PM
Hermetic Angel   From my experience I have found that although we c...   Apr 5 2008, 03:11 AM
altpath   Therefore i see no reason was a Pagan should have ...   Apr 5 2008, 11:19 AM
alkeides   The roots of much of Judaeo-Christian rituals were...   Nov 26 2009, 10:32 AM
Kath   nice post alkeides :) I practice evocation in a d...   Nov 27 2009, 11:17 AM
Ethereal Sight   So I've recently been reading Summoning Spiri...   Mar 17 2010, 09:55 AM
Praxis   I use my own system for summoning/banishing and ev...   Nov 11 2011, 09:12 PM

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse