Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Halloween, What does it mean to you?
DarK
post Oct 29 2006, 03:54 AM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

History

Halloween has been twisted and turned into something totally different than what it had been.

Centuries ago Halloween, or "Samhain (which is the origicanal Celtic word)" was a Pagan holiday practiced in Ireland, where the dead were roaming the earth and peace and understanding would take place between the living and the dead.

They had many practices and rituals held on the day of Samhain, which were also all meant for pleasure and fun.

Due to outside religious influences, Samhain was turned into something totally different, meant to be "spooky" or scary, where people claimed that Witches and Demons would scour the earth to do harm unto humans. Of course, all of this was false, as almost all Spiritualist knows.

Trick or Treat?

Trick or treating originated when beggars went door to door on October 31st, asking for handouts. The gifts were for "Muck Olla" a God who was said to destroy the house of anyone who was not generous.

Jack-O-Lanterns? also had their origin in Ireland; named for a man named "Jack." The story goes that Jack was a miser and when he died, he was not allowed into heaven and he also played jokes on the Devil, so he was not admitted into Hell either, but was doomed to walk the Earth forever. He only had a litle lantern to light his way and this is why he came to be called Jack-O-Lantern. Of course, the spooks, vampires and ghouls were associated with this holiday because of the natural human fear of death and Samhain was a holiday of death.

Now Halloween is just a way for people to express themselves, it is rather a "fun" holiday. Sadly people do not know, and many do not care to know about the true origins of Halloween.

What does Samhain mean to you? How will you celebrate Samhain? Depending on your costums/traditions/religious background/origins?

DeathStalker

This post has been edited by DeathStalker: Oct 29 2006, 03:56 AM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
AngelOfDeath83
post Sep 25 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #2

Initiate
Group Icon

On Halloween, I have my fun. I have some moments of silence, to respect those I have lost. I do what magic I feel needs to be done. Then I go out and have fun. I have a niece and nephew that I take out for trick-or-treating, then I meet up with friends and have a few drinks, go out and dance, just relax and have a good time.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse