Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Flying Dream Theme..., power lines
Vagrant Dreamer
post Mar 2 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #1

Practicus
Group Icon

So, I have flying dreams probably every other dream that I'm aware of, and I've been recording all my dreams for a while. There's this reoccurring theme in my flying dreams specifically that I thought I would share here, and see if anyone had any ideas.

In my dreams, the act of flying is not spontaneous at all - it takes focus, awareness of the ground and my relationship to it, and of course the willingness to jump and keep going up instead of falling down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

However, in every single dream, I always have a hard time avoiding power lines. Regardless of the apparent setting - usually my grandmother's old house, another reoccurring theme - I almost always have to struggle to avoid powerlines while flying.

Anyone have some similar dream experience? Any ideas on what it might symbolize? I have thoughts, but I want to reserve them until I get some outside perspective.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dancing Coyote
post Mar 3 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

Wow guys, whenever I go out of my body I take on the form of a coyote (sometimes with wings). I have difficulty sleeping, so when I do dream I get really odd dreams where I'm in the sci-fi books I'm currently reading (not really flying ones). In out of body though I can switch from human form back again but I don't exactly like traveling in human form, it's too sluggish. Even during my first experiences out of body I've always appeared in the form of a k-nine for whatever reason.

--------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced form of magick will appear indistinguishable from science"

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Mar 4 2009, 02:15 PM
Post #3

Practicus
Group Icon

These are all very interesting replies. Begin at the beginning...

Acid's analysis will take some meditation. The inclusion of my grandmother's old house has always confused me. I stayed there occasionally as a child, but although we lived fairly close to her I didn't see her that often at all - to the point where I am not even a little close to her now although I see her for the occasional christmas and thanksgiving. She doesn't approve of my lifestyle so I spent these past holidays with my boyfriend's family instead, and I haven't attended family holidays for almost five years. I catch a little flak about it but generally speaking, my immediate family were always the outcasts of our larger, very traditional southern babtist, extended family. There was a time just after my parents divorced when we stayed at my grandmother's house, but she made us stay in the damp basement, I got pneumonia, and we moved out after that. Was about three months. I suppose it could represent my mother's - and be extension subconsciously my own - relationship weaknesses; with significant others, with my family, etc. I often have felt that I inherited that from my mother, and that she in turn got it from her mother, who left her 'mountain folk' family when she married my mother's father, and never saw most of them again.

The power lines as obstacles is pretty much how I interpreted them, and in the setting I suppose those could be representative of the vital nature of those particular weakness - power lines supply us with electricity, make our modern lives possible, and the connect almost all corners of our community. They could be likened to the network of 'power lines' in our own energetic body which function very similarly. It may suggest that this weakness can be addressed or understood in those terms. In any case, I will spend some time meditating on this.

may i ask which position you prefer? - sitting up cross-legged arabian flying carpet style, or the superman prone?

I have gone both ways, but most often it is a semi-prone position. Not exactly superman like, kind of 'airplane'-ish, but with slightly bent knees and arms. My flying is sort of like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon if you know what I mean.

how is the temperature in your flying dreams, cold, hot, indifferent?

Usually kind of warm, I have had some dreams where it was colder and that made it difficult to fly. My dreams are about 50/50 for awareness at this point, if I am aware of dreaming on any level then the temperature makes no difference but it is usually a pleasant kind of warm. The wind makes a difference in my flying for sure, though, and I can loft like bird does, etc., I often have to readjust my position to change how the wind is affecting my flying. The wind itself doesn't usually affect/change the temperature. And, I can influence the wind when I am more aware.

did you observe people on the ground? what were they doing? could you hear them?

That is another interesting detail to mention - very often I am with one other person, trying to explain how to fly. The explanation is always the same "You just jump up, and instead of coming back down, keep going up. You have to sort of flatten yourself out, otherwise gravity will pull you back down. You have to uncurve everything a little bit, and concentrate on it like this." I've given that speech so many times that I admit I have actually gone out to secluded places and tried for as much as a couple of hours one time.

Other than the 'teaching someone to fly' dream, I also dream that there are some people milling about and talking like at a little mixer/party or barbeque type setting, and I fly usually to leave. Other times I'm flying over a small town, often made of very cramped together buildings with alleyways and clothes lines between windows, etc., and often fly to get to the other end of town. I dream about my grandmother's house most often though, well over half the time. Sometimes there are no people at all and it's an open field, and I fly as a means of traveling as though I were headed somewhere.

I have only left the earth a couple of times, and I did not pass any planets or go anywhere, exactly, just sort of into nothingness and stars.

do you control your dreams, or try to, or do you let them run as they will cause its cooler to see where it will go, like watching a new movie waiting for a sick twist?

I usually don't really control my dreams. Even when I'm aware of them, its more like I'm following a script and I know what happens next but even if it's bad/disturbing I go with it. As though it's what I'm there for. I have had dreams where I was in control and very lucid, but so far they don't last very long and when I try to control anything to any specific degree I wake up. There were two exceptions to that, but they were still brief. In flying dreams though, the flying part takes constant concentration on some sort of 'other' element around me. Its like I have to unroll or flatten some part of myself and then when I fly I sort of drift. If I get distracted I'll start to fall.

That sensation lead me to consider that what I do in my dreams involves flattening space - gravity is just curvature in space, or at least that's the theory that makes the most sense to me, based on my experiences perceiving from higher dimensions. If you flatten space, then there is no acceleration force, and you are free to move/be moved by other forces. At least, that's how I think of it when I wake up. I try to recall the sensations as clearly a possible, both internally and externally.

was it a nice flight, or a bumpy one? what was the purpose of the flight? just to fly, or was flying incidental to the major portion/overall theme of the dream?

My flying is smooth, but takes focus. It's like being in zero-g, but with some control, usually a combination of my initial jump/acceleration and the wind, but I can control the wind sometimes to some degree as well. Sometimes I fly with more control than other times, but there is always some degree of control and it is always a nice flight. Usually I'm flying for some reason, but it's incidental at the same time - I can just fly as though it's another thing I can do, like cross stitching or cooking. It's completely casual and I'm never amazed at the fact that I can fly, although I think I used to be amazed by it. I've been having a heavy load of flying dreams since I was pretty young, at least 9-10. Their more frequent now, and have continually grown more frequent. My flying dreams rarely center on the flying itself, but when they do it's always as though I'm trying to perfect it, and I try it this way, that way, different positions, etc. Those ones usually take place over a field.

Wow guys, whenever I go out of my body I take on the form of a coyote (sometimes with wings). I have difficulty sleeping, so when I do dream I get really odd dreams where I'm in the sci-fi books I'm currently reading (not really flying ones). In out of body though I can switch from human form back again but I don't exactly like traveling in human form, it's too sluggish. Even during my first experiences out of body I've always appeared in the form of a k-nine for whatever reason.

I have been other kinds of animals as well, but it's very rare for me. When it happens its always a black leopard/panther, and I can jump very far rather than strictly fly. Once I dreamt that I was a large non-specific bird, and when I landed I shifted into a panther. I had dreams of shapeshifting more often when I was a child. Now it's maybe two or three times a year that I have those dreams, and they are usually accompanied by violence of some kind, either witnessed, or inflicted by myself upon others.

When I travel out of body, I don't have a form at all unless I concentrate on having one, and that often ends the experience. If I need a hand, I reach for something and have a hand, but usually that is not necessary.

A lot to think about. Out of curiosity, even if it sounds crazy, has anyone else ever attempted to fly as well? I have always tried to hold that if you never try then you don't know. I've made the attempt more than once. The first time, I was genuinely nervous and had to sit down for a moment to calm myself - my heart pounded, my breathing was short and fast, I got hot all over. I worried about what might happen if I did fly, and if coming down would be as easy and harmless as going up, etc. I once got to a point where I really could not gauge my own body weight, there didn't seem to be any pressure on my feet at all.

I fell down a lot. Jumped pretty high a couple of times though. I took a running start just like in my dreams, tried to generate the same inner sensations, tried to abandon myself to the experience, etc. Afterwards I questioned my sanity for a bit, but then figured that it's no more insane than any other magical endeavor - I've spent hundreds of hours spinning psi-wheels, rolling pencils, and attempting to levitate/move other objects with my will, why not fly as well?

In 'A fire from within', by Carlos Castaneda, Castaneda relates that he was with Don Juan and his fellow students and future nagual group on top of a mesa, and was forced to jump into the abyss in order to learn to fly. If he did not fly he would die, so this was an initiatory practice intended to break the last inner barrier to becoming the nagual. This was to take place right after Don Juan and his compatriots burnt up in the titular fire from within and attained freedom, presumably. I have often wondered if such a situation is not necessary, should one indeed attain to such a skill.

Of course, in the book this was the 'last' barrier to break before Castaneda became the nagual. This is why I try periodically, after I feel I have made progress in other areas of conscious development.

Hm.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Wiggs1992
post Mar 4 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

Oh, discussions about flying dreams. My favorites. I remember the first dream I had that had flying in it. I was in a field, with dead orange grass and a cloudy blue sky.
I remember doing something and I just floated up. I fell down not too long later. Then I would run and occassionally jump, I would float a little more, but my body would feel like it weighed just enough where I would sink back down to the ground.
From then to a month or so ago, I've gotten better at it. The latest one, I was with my best friend and I was telling him "dude you might not believe this but watch", I took off and he was awed of course..
Remembering that now, about two weeks ago I was telling him about magick and how I seriously believe it to be real. My brother thinks I'm dabbling into crazy land and I have not told anyone else. He is the only one I know that would actually believe me when I talked about the Occult, including several things that have happened to me in the past weeks.

The other dreams I enjoy, are the ones where I can not fly but instead do the 'hulk' jump. Gravity takes place, and I fall fast. Before I used to close my eyes because it scared the hell out of me, it was like I was really falling. But it isn't much fun that way, so I try and get over it. Eyes open I jump from the peak of a mountain to the bottom. Fun stuff.

For your flying dreams it does sound like it symbolizes obstacles. I have yet to run into anything while I fly.

--------------------
For every shadow there's light

+Quote Post

esoterica
post Mar 5 2009, 09:27 AM
Post #5

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

QUOTE(Wiggs1992 @ Mar 5 2009, 01:05 AM) *

two weeks ago I was telling him about magick and how I seriously believe it to be real. My brother thinks I'm dabbling into crazy land and I have not told anyone else. He is the only one I know that would actually believe me when I talked about the Occult

mmmmmm...tasty

i keep forgetting there are those who don't believe, mainly since i have pretty much left them behind to rot after a hearty meal

it is pretty much a human thing to be so stupid as to not know stuff since it is is readily available, as no other species i have met thinks like that

i am indeed always in the 'crazy land', and actually forget there are some watching us fly around

congratulations on your waking up to real reality - here's story for you about someone who is also awake

-es

Emma Walks Both Worlds
by Esoterica
Copyright © 2008
All Rights Reserved
[email protected]
Emma woke and stretched like a cat, still under the covers.
It had been another night of incredibly lucid, fantastic dreams.
They came often now, and over the years the message had changed from wholeness to a warning.
This time it was about ghosts and life and death and all sorts of horrible things that would soon
happen to release those ghosts.
These bad things that were to be, were never truly defined or dated, just that uneasy feeling
underlying the dreams.
It wasn't even as clear as a premonition, just the feeling of anticipation of something bad.
She glanced at the clock, pulled her covers up, rolled over and went back to sleep.
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
More than a year ago, she had woken the same way and she was quite used to it now.
It was amazing to be presented with such dreams, but what was the point?
Nobody at work would listen to her.
They would just roll their eyes or go all blank­faced.
They called her a 'flake' and a 'nut' behind her back.
But she knew that she was right to trust her dreams.
That morning, that long time ago, it had been a morning like any other.
She had been having the dreams for a while, but they weren't these bad ones then, just pointing her
to wholeness, or rather, pointing out the lack of something that would bring her wholeness.
She was making coffee and had dropped a spoon, and as she was bending down to pick it up, she
had an awakening.
She saw her whole existence, her past lives all strung out behind her, and even before her.
She realized in that moment that life and death are not two separate states, but are one thing, united
into a whole of existence.
She had lived and died and lived many times, and suddenly the memories of her many lives had
flooded her brain.
It was like someone had gone through her head, kicking all the locked doors in her memory open.
She saw that she, the thing that was really her, ran all the way back through time, and even ahead
into the future.
And she wasn't a "she" at all, but an "it", and the "it" that was her, was old and old.
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
Before that day of awakening, she had recognized the light, but she always knew there was
something more.
The dreams had shown her wholeness, and she unconsciously knew that she was lacking something
that would make her whole.
To be whole was her need, but she couldn't put her finger on what it was that she lacked!
What could this elusive substance be that she was missing that would complete her?
One day at work this young man had come in.
He was dressed in all black and red and he exuded a feeling of dread, almost approaching evil.
Everyone else was laughing at him, but she realized in that very moment that wholeness is exactly
that ­­whole­ness!
His darkness was the opposite of her light, and the two of them together would be not two but one
whole!
She suddenly saw how everything was split into two's in our world ­ up and down and left and right
and good and evil and light and darkness!
Darkness is what was missing from her light!
But she had wondered how one could embrace darkness without being swallowed up by it?
She realized that in her existence as the being she called 'it', there was no light or dark, only
existence.
Was light and dark just a manifestation of the human conditioning?
What made light light and darkness dark?
She had united the physical part of her with the ethereal being she really was, in order to see the 'it'.
Did she need to unite the dark and light within her to see the, what, the gray?
What other things were forcibly separated into duality?
The seven deadly sins came into her mind, balanced by the seven virtues ­ a perfect example of
duality!
Lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy, pride, balanced by the virtues of chastity, abstinence,
temperance, diligence, patience, kindness, and humility.
She wondered what on earth the combination of the sins with the virtues would look like!
"Existence is just existence", she thought.
At work, everyone always complained about their wages.
She didn't, mainly because she never really thought about it.
She had always been grateful for what she got, but she didn't really care about stuff anyway.
What is stuff but congealed energy, and energy isn't good or bad, its how you differentiate and use it
that matters.
She realized that this duality, greed and temperance, she had already solved, not by being greedy or
giving up everything, but by just not caring about it one way or the other.
As for gluttony and abstinence, she was a bit fat, as she indulged her experiences in the sweet and
sour duality too often sometimes, but she really hadn't cared about that either.
She never was a party girl enough to worry about the consequences of lust or chastity, so she
assumed that that one was dealt with too.
She wasn't lazy or slothful, but she also wasn't one to rush out and do things.
She wasn't jealous or angry, nor was she infinitely patient or kind.
She kept herself and her house clean, but for health reasons, and never really thought about walking
with either pride or humility, she just walked.
It was as if most of these things had already been taught her, and it was just that she had to realize
that she had already learned the lesson.
And that lesson was simply existence, existence without judgment.
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
A few minutes on the internet found her a site about ancient Buddist teachings put into modern
ideas for living, and called what she was naturally doing 'wu­wei', doing and not­doing
simultaneously.
Soon she began to realize that she walked not in two worlds, but one world.
The wholeness she reached for, was simply existence without judgment.
Does a tree think or worry about growing?
Did such a tree judge its existence?
Did it experience duality?
She tried to tell her coworker she trusted about it, but he made fun of the word, drawing it out,
saying 'whoooo­weeeee! ­ that's far out!'
Another famous saying came to mind, "There is nothing new under the sun.", and she could have
screamed aloud her frustration at the world for making fun of such a monumental idea.
Her essence, neither light nor dark, but the two co­mingled and gray, neither laughed nor cried, but
simply mourned the loss of another soul to the duality of incarnation.
She wondered to herself how these others were to evolve if all they could do was mimic others and
argue if this or that was true?
Their duality shown in everything they did or wanted or had.
It veiled their whole existence in a cloud of jealousy and unhappiness.
And it was perpetuated by the media and government to keep their absurd consumer economy
afloat, until it was finally bankrupting the very planet they lived on.
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­
She rolled over the other way and snorted.
It wasn't time to get up yet, and if the bad things happened, they'd happen whether she judged them
or not.
The End.
[size=1][size=1]

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse