Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Two Dead In Arizona During 'spiritual Cleanse'
Bb3
post Oct 10 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topst...at_lodge_deaths

Here's one link to the story, I'll get back and comment later when I've got more time.

--------------------
Mad skillz

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Darkmage
post Nov 30 2009, 05:25 AM
Post #2

Snarkmeister
Group Icon

Darkmage I guess I agree with your dark cynicism in part, but mostly this is a thing that truly annoys me; there are some seriously talented occultists out there who could do way better and who make next to nothing, yet are busting it out there all the time helping folks out. I feel that stuff like this is... egomaniacal,

Because the serious occultists who are out there busting ass, covering new ground every day, and helping out their friends and relatives are usually *not* the ones staring at their navels and writing books. They don't have the time. The ones that *do* write books, well, it's just like any other division of the entertainment industry, I'm afraid. Can you get a good agent who can get you a good contract with a juicy advance attached? Most people wouldn't have a clue--I know I wouldn't. In addition, to have a book sell enough copies for the publisher to justify the cost, you've got to break complex ideas and theories down into forms the layman/non occultist can understand. This is actually a hell of a lot more difficult than it seems. The problem is that then the books appeal to the lowest common denominators and people who have passed Magic 101 are screwed when they're looking for new material--Llewellyn publishing, anyone? :eyeroll:

Some of our local heroes like Joseph Peterson are actually more academics than authors, although he does walk the walk which is always a bonus. Those people I like to support as it's very much a 'publish or perish' world at the higher levels of academia--if they're not forced to publish scholarly papers 24/7 and instead can publish much-needed revisions of books most of us on the forum probably have and use regularly, more power to them. Donald Tyson is heading that way, esp. after his magnum opus of Agrippa's Three Books of Occult Philosophy ten years ago. The annotations are worth the cost of the book. Also, there's the Magic in History series which is pretty useful, but usually terribly dry stuff--once again written by academics.

On the other side of the spectrum we have assclowns like the author of The Secret and people like Ted Andrews. Andrews' techniques are good for the beginner, except he wraps the Qabalah into damn near EVERYTHING, even things that don't call for it, and for the love of God get him to an English 101 class and teach him to WRITE. His repetition of things that could be combined into one sentence as well as sentences that could be broken up, but instead go on forever, make my eyes bleed. :/ And don't get me started on Silver RavenFluff. :/

And yes, if anything else pops up I'll let you know, and post links to the stories if available. So far the airwaves have been quiet on this.

This post has been edited by Darkmage: Nov 30 2009, 05:29 AM

--------------------
As the water grinds the stone,
We rise and fall
As our ashes turn to dust,
We shine like stars...
--Covenant, "Bullet"

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Bb3   Two Dead In Arizona During 'spiritual Cleanse'   Oct 10 2009, 07:50 PM
xXDaemonReignXx   http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/topst...at_l...   Oct 10 2009, 08:08 PM
Darkmage   This is ALL OVER the local news atm. I'm sur...   Oct 10 2009, 08:17 PM
Bb3   Well, since I've last heard of it 3 are dead, ...   Nov 14 2009, 05:04 AM
Darkmage   Oh, it gets better--Yavapai County police are now ...   Nov 14 2009, 08:03 AM
esoterica   sweat lodge - a simulation of the underworld - hot...   Nov 15 2009, 01:22 PM
Bb3   sweat lodge - a simulation of the underworld - ho...   Nov 30 2009, 04:28 AM
esoterica   >>His repetition of things that could be com...   Nov 30 2009, 09:57 AM
Darkmage   Here's another little gem on this story: ht...   Dec 22 2009, 03:59 PM
Darkmage   Now he's evidently being charged with manslaug...   Feb 4 2010, 08:07 AM
Aphrodite   Sounds like he is manic and possibly took advantag...   Feb 4 2010, 10:30 AM
Petrus   I periodically hear about things like this. To me...   Feb 5 2010, 02:28 AM
Aphrodite   I periodically hear about things like this. To m...   Feb 5 2010, 07:45 AM
Petrus   What do you mean “not us”? Not occultist? ...   Feb 5 2010, 10:42 AM
Darkmage   "Us," meaning anyone who isn't ethn...   Feb 12 2010, 06:43 AM
SororZSD23   Sounds like he is manic and possibly took advanta...   Feb 5 2010, 10:45 AM
Goibniu   He seems to be guilty of manslaughter so I am not ...   Feb 7 2010, 12:50 AM

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse