Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Ideas For Spells
Ethereal Sight
post Jul 28 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #1

Light Wielder
Group Icon

Okay, I've been on a horrifying and shameful Tolkien binge lately. Literally, horrifying. Three weeks and I read the Hobbit, all three Lord of the Rings books and the Silmarillion. I'm now working on the unfinished tales. Those of you who have access to the box of spells forum (for those who don't... you'll discover many things by the time you reach thirty posts, and access to more forums will be your reward) may have seen my spell for large-scale protective shielding. I got the idea from the Silmarillion. This is the point of this post: to point out the wonderful ideas for spells and things that books can give us. So these books have given me great ones (seeing as the majority of books that include magic are distinctly Harry Potter-esque in the style of the spells used; wave a wand and it will rain candy, the gold ideas are few and far between) and I was wondering: what books have given you great (or good... or average... or bad... you get the point) spell ideas?

--------------------
"Take root in the ground, live in harmony with the wind, plant your seeds in the Winter, and rejoice with the birds in the coming of Spring." - Hayao Miyazaki (Sheeta from the film - Laputa: Castle In The Sky)
All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law. - Voltaire
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
Illusion is the first of all pleasures. - Voltaire

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
NetherSpirit
post Jul 28 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

I found a spell named "Dr. Dee's Dragon-Summonation" in a book called "Dragonology" by "Ernest Drake", which while apparently intended as a fictional spell to entertain the reader, I actually found to be a very potent protective spell when performed with the appropriate intent and visualisation. I'd really recommend "Dragonology" to anyone who is interested in Dragon magic, even if it's a fiction book! It has a spell section towards the end of the book with spells that I may attempt and that others may find useful, and there is also another book in the series which is called "Working With Dragons", which I also found a great read and would highly recommend!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/egypt1.gif)

--------------------
Know thyself...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Ethereal Sight   Ideas For Spells   Jul 28 2010, 04:20 PM
Ethereal Sight   I'd really recommend "Dragonology" ...   Jul 29 2010, 09:52 AM
NetherSpirit   I have that book and adore it. Thank you so much...   Jul 29 2010, 03:10 PM
kaboom13   I'm just curious, where exactly do they come f...   Jul 28 2010, 09:10 PM
fatherjhon   Putting aside books about magick I think the old w...   Jul 29 2010, 08:01 AM
kaboom13   I love the hasty response. Given that is the c...   Jul 29 2010, 11:29 AM
Ethereal Sight   Bring me what information you know about these fi...   Jul 29 2010, 04:41 PM
kaboom13   I think we need to take a deep breath and calm dow...   Jul 29 2010, 05:01 PM
NetherSpirit   Or really, what does cryptozoology count as? Whe...   Jul 29 2010, 05:27 PM
Ethereal Sight   I think we need to take a deep breath and calm do...   Aug 1 2010, 03:27 PM
Vilhjalmr   I came across a great example of this the other da...   Jul 29 2010, 11:30 PM
kaboom13   I'm now not following at all. Every single ...   Aug 1 2010, 05:43 PM
Ethereal Sight   I'm now not following at all. Every single o...   Aug 1 2010, 11:25 PM
fatherjhon   As fun as this thread is, I suggest moving cryptoz...   Aug 1 2010, 06:08 PM
kaboom13   Ohh~ So are you saying that the egregores such as...   Aug 1 2010, 11:42 PM
Vilhjalmr   Can dragons breathe fire, or is this myth? Serious...   Aug 2 2010, 02:00 PM
Ethereal Sight   Can dragons breathe fire, or is this myth? Seriou...   Aug 2 2010, 03:52 PM

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse