Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Religious Discrimination
Religious Discrimination
Have you ever been discriminated for your beliefs?
yea, please tell us how and where [ 28 ] ** [73.68%]
nay [ 5 ] ** [13.16%]
not sure, please explain your situation [ 5 ] ** [13.16%]
Do you hold any prejudice against any particular religious group?
yea, please say explain [ 20 ] ** [52.63%]
nay [ 12 ] ** [31.58%]
not sure, please share an explaination [ 6 ] ** [15.79%]
Total Votes: 76
Guests cannot vote 
Acid09
post Jan 8 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #1

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

Please keep this respectful. Any slurs or attacks against other members because of their beliefs will be deleted.

I'm curious to see what members have to say. In my life time I've been riddiculed by my family, who are Catholic both on my mom and dad's side. I've been picked on in grade school too, thats not surprising growing up in a small town with small minded people. But I've never really enountered discrimination in a work environment or otherwise had my rights overtly broken. In college, well mine at least, people either don't really care or are openly curious. I guess there have been a few religious nuts I've banged heads with, but nothing that really impeded my rights.

Now I do hold a certain level of resentment for religious fanatics of any sort, be they Evangelicals, Jehova's Witnesses, KKK, Pagan knights or cults that I percieve as dangerous. My main resentment towards Christianity in general stems from the idea of conversion. I do not think it is right for any religion to pressure or coerce any other denomination to convert. In prision I did not openly discuss my belief either. But in that kind of environment thats a good choice regardless of one's beliefs. I'm also bitter from just the general "holier than thou" attitude I've encountered in grade school and day to day life. All these aspects have formed a kind of prejudice in me against Christians. Not because all Christians are closeminded fanatics, but because a few roten apples spoiled my pie, so to speak.

For me, this manifests as a messure of mis-trust and disdain. I don't often talk about my beliefs with strangers because I don't want to be oustrasized in my community. And yet a portion of me finds pleasure in pissing off fundies. I've been known to challenge the various Mormons or whoever who periodically come to my front door and try to tell me I'm going to hell and need to accept Christ into my heart, under their banner no doubt.

Of course I do try to be respectful, usually, in these "debates" that get stired up. And I always respect people's beliefs in day to day life.

So where have you, if ever, experienced prejudice or discrimination because of your beliefs?

Do you hold any prejudice against a particular religion?

--------------------
IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Draw
post Oct 3 2010, 06:36 AM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

I've been discriminated against, an i have discriminated.
What discrimination means always seems a thing of debate,
I'd personally see it as a natural part of an intelligent mind to discriminate, the over factors that govern an intelligent mind are often to blame for 'racism' etc.

I am a secretive person, the reasons for that are many but mainly because the majority of people are quite single minded over their beliefs.
I will believe in anything i think might work, very heathen.
Atheists are usually easy going but to win an argument with one they need to have experienced something supernatural, so i don't usually bother explaining my beliefs to them unless i have something up my sleeve.

I hate to say it but i am quite prejudgmental about the christian faith, I see it as a good idea that went very wrong a long time ago.
I can't help but think, the christian church burnt alive anyone with an opposing view for hundreds of years, if their god had any real power an was in any way moral then that wouldn't have happened.
I'd rather spend an eternity in hell rather than pay tribute to a god that condemns people to an eternity in hell for not believing in him.

I know their are Christians with views different from the Church, but why call themselves christian? the name is filthy with the blood of millions.
I highly respect most christians, their are a lot of good people that don't hold a faith that i will go to hell because i am not like them, i like people like that.
My general opinion of christians will change when the general opinion of themselves changes drastically, i.e. completely revolutionized to the point where they can interact with others diplomatically.

Unfortunately good christians are a minority subculture, most christians use their unfaltering faith to suppress their un-sociable un-happy feelings by praying for everyone they don't approve of to spend an eternity in hell.
I believe in belief, an to think that those ignorant little pricks are walking around happy an free of sin, all the while believing that everyone they meet who isn't a member of their church will be burnt in hell for eternity..
well it kind of give's me the creeps, especially when they give out those vacant idiot smiles along with a leaflet.

The majority of christians are just people who know that spiritual things exist but who can't be bothered to understand them, it's an easy well trodden road.

I think that any faith that has been used politically should be judged as one would judge a political system.
Religion's are groups of people who believe in the same thing, if that belief can't evolve an change rapidly then it's repressive to the growth of the individuals involved.

Good choice bumping this ancient thread!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Acid09   Religious Discrimination   Jan 8 2007, 06:26 PM
DeathStalker   I've been incessantly daunted for my beliefs, ...   Jan 8 2007, 06:50 PM
TiacSway   Yes to being discriminated against, and no to disc...   Jan 8 2007, 09:58 PM
Imperial Arts   So where have you, if ever, experienced prejudice ...   Jan 8 2007, 10:36 PM
Eabatu   I had a friend once that was a devout Satanist. I ...   Jan 8 2007, 11:59 PM
esoterica   great posts, y'all WWJD...... wither a fig t...   Jan 10 2007, 04:54 PM
Darkmage   I've got nothing against or for any one religi...   Jan 9 2007, 12:13 AM
Eabatu   LMAO!!!! That is exactly what the ...   Jan 9 2007, 01:33 AM
DeathStalker   LMAO!!!! That is exactly what the ...   Jan 9 2007, 01:47 AM
Acid09   When I was court ordered to take out patient drug ...   Jan 9 2007, 07:14 PM
Imperial Arts   Such as life. Thanks sharing your "war storie...   Jan 9 2007, 09:21 PM
TiacSway   Rossville, TN? Is this the same Rossville next to...   Jan 10 2007, 12:59 AM
Eabatu   You guys do bring up a valid point about how CHris...   Jan 10 2007, 01:28 AM
esoterica   yes i have been discriminated against - my swords ...   Jan 10 2007, 08:42 AM
Darkmage   every bit of the old ways have been usurped by the...   Jan 10 2007, 11:11 AM
A_Smoking_Fox   I don't know if i am discriminating against ch...   Jan 10 2007, 12:03 PM
Eabatu   I remember one time when Jehovas Witness showed up...   Jan 10 2007, 03:32 PM
esoterica   back in my christian paradigm i tried evoking ...   Jan 10 2007, 04:34 PM
DeathStalker   I just, about an hour ago, lost the very person I ...   Jan 10 2007, 08:34 PM
Goibniu   I've never had any overt religious discriminat...   Jan 15 2007, 04:28 AM
Acid09   Any more when I think about occultist who have to ...   Jan 15 2007, 04:06 PM
Enochian   Old Jack would take a shot first....lol Im not ...   Jan 15 2007, 07:22 PM
Oryx   I've had a few nasty run-ins with the xtian fa...   Jan 28 2007, 02:47 PM
Eabatu   Hes not talking aboout "our kind" (whate...   Jan 29 2007, 12:10 AM
Sojrn   I've practiced magick all my life and have had...   Feb 25 2007, 05:18 PM
Xenomancer   I have been descriminated against passively by the...   Apr 28 2007, 02:07 PM
alia   Yes, even if things here are much better than 15 y...   Apr 30 2007, 08:13 PM
Sarena   I have been discriminated against because of my re...   Jun 30 2007, 08:08 AM
Khenti_Amenti   What i find frightening is that the Pagan communit...   Oct 22 2007, 04:15 AM
SeekerVI   :boxface: When going undercover or being inconspi...   Oct 22 2007, 10:15 PM
paxx   I’m going to a bit out of the norm here, my religi...   Oct 23 2007, 06:32 PM
Kupov   As a Christian I am often mocked by "wiccans...   Jan 19 2009, 12:38 PM
Tomber   I am christian and there is nothing I hate more th...   Jul 26 2009, 04:07 PM
Acid09   Well first off this thread was created some nearly...   Sep 29 2010, 07:13 PM

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse