Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Seeking A Mentor
Archimonde
post Jan 27 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

I was wondering if anyone here teaches the system to individual students, I am new to this system but have felt a strong interest or pull if you will to get involved in it, my main problem is that I don't have any of the books and at present cannot afford to buy them, and I have read that the pdf versions have mispronunciations? In any event I would ordinarily not persue something under these circumstances but I am feeling a strong attraction to the system that I cannot explain, as I have never worked with it at all.

I have spent time with some other systems such as Initiation into Hermetics and Donald Michael Kraigs Modern Magick, and while they did give me some good theoretical insight into the world of magick, I just never felt a connection, my work under those systems just felt lifeless and clinical at times, so here I am, seeking a teacher and I will await any replies to this topic, I would also like to know why I feel such a pull toward the system practically out of nowhere if anyone can offer an explanation.

--------------------
Azhir uval nutarus, Azhir mudas ethanul. Dalektharu il dask daku ,Riftuuz e thara samanar utamus. Elas umanes azarathan rakas ibna.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
monkman418
post Jan 29 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Archimonde @ Jan 27 2011, 01:44 PM) *

I was wondering if anyone here teaches the system to individual students, I am new to this system but have felt a strong interest or pull if you will to get involved in it, my main problem is that I don't have any of the books and at present cannot afford to buy them, and I have read that the pdf versions have mispronunciations? In any event I would ordinarily not pursue something under these circumstances but I am feeling a strong attraction to the system that I cannot explain, as I have never worked with it at all.

I have spent time with some other systems such as Initiation into Hermetics and Donald Michael Kraigs Modern Magick, and while they did give me some good theoretical insight into the world of magick, I just never felt a connection, my work under those systems just felt lifeless and clinical at times, so here I am, seeking a teacher and I will await any replies to this topic, I would also like to know why I feel such a pull toward the system practically out of nowhere if anyone can offer an explanation.

Greetings!

No, I don't teach Necronomicon, though I have used it to veritable effect.

First things first: You can buy a paperback Necronomicon for 8 dollars new or for 4 dollars used on Amazon.com. I have plenty of used magical books, including a used Necronomicon, and you don't have to worry about curses. Nor is this book much more expensive at the bookstore. Unless you are really 10 years old and don't have access to money (and most 10 year olds can figure out how to earn a few bucks here and there), no offense but I doubt a lack of resources is holding you back here. And if it's not the money, what is it?

Your request for a teacher makes me think that you feel you need help to learn how to use magick and Necronomicon. Don't let this stop you from being able to purchase and study the book on your own, because you are capable of doing this and also learning Necronomicon. Even working with a teacher, the vast majority of magical work is learned on one's own. We are lucky in this century to be able to have access to other magicians on forums like this one.

I have also been attracted to certain schools and ideas in magick out of nowhere in the past, and my general advice when you get that urge is to really go for it, full throttle. That's why I'm urging you to really get your own copy of the book if you are feeling a serious inclination towards working with Necronomicon.

I can't be your teacher, but I'll be around and there are a lot of other people on this forum that also have a lot of knowledge and experience to share.

Go get that book!

This post has been edited by monkman418: Jan 29 2011, 08:11 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

Archimonde
post Jan 29 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

Thank you for the reply monkman, I have actually located a cheap copy of the book and will be ordering it soon, I did not realize it could be obtained for under 10 dollars in most locations as the first copy I saw was going for about 50 dollars. I have spent some time over the past few days reading in this forum and I was wondering what tools are considered essential for beginning work and where can they be bought?

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Jan 29 2011, 09:04 PM) *

Greetings!

No, I don't teach Necronomicon, though I have used it to veritable effect.

First things first: You can buy a paperback Necronomicon for 8 dollars new or for 4 dollars used on Amazon.com. I have plenty of used magical books, including a used Necronomicon, and you don't have to worry about curses. Nor is this book much more expensive at the bookstore. Unless you are really 10 years old and don't have access to money (and most 10 year olds can figure out how to earn a few bucks here and there), no offense but I doubt a lack of resources is holding you back here. And if it's not the money, what is it?

Your request for a teacher makes me think that you feel you need help to learn how to use magick and Necronomicon. Don't let this stop you from being able to purchase and study the book on your own, because you are capable of doing this and also learning Necronomicon. Even working with a teacher, the vast majority of magical work is learned on one's own. We are lucky in this century to be able to have access to other magicians on forums like this one.

I have also been attracted to certain schools and ideas in magick out of nowhere in the past, and my general advice when you get that urge is to really go for it, full throttle. That's why I'm urging you to really get your own copy of the book if you are feeling a serious inclination towards working with Necronomicon.

I can't be your teacher, but I'll be around and there are a lot of other people on this forum that also have a lot of knowledge and experience to share.

Go get that book!

--------------------
Azhir uval nutarus, Azhir mudas ethanul. Dalektharu il dask daku ,Riftuuz e thara samanar utamus. Elas umanes azarathan rakas ibna.

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Jan 29 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Archimonde @ Jan 29 2011, 08:59 PM) *

Thank you for the reply monkman, I have actually located a cheap copy of the book and will be ordering it soon, I did not realize it could be obtained for under 10 dollars in most locations as the first copy I saw was going for about 50 dollars. I have spent some time over the past few days reading in this forum and I was wondering what tools are considered essential for beginning work and where can they be bought?

Fantastic! Yeah, there are a few expensive hardcover copies on the market, some for as much as $1000. Sellers try to mark occult books up far beyond what they are worth in general, glad you found a deal.

Other magical systems use a larger assortment of tools, the Necronomicon is very minimalist. For the Necronomicon, a piece of paper to draw the sigils and a candle are the only tools you need to start with. A blackened mirror may also be useful for scurrying, but that can wait for now; you can usually find such a thing online for around $30. If you want, you can also wear a simple robe, such as may be bought at azothart.com, but robes run around $100 in general; fortunately, the text only calls for "simple vestments," and one could use a plain set of regular clothing. Some spells call for the use of an alter, but you can use a small table that you own...or buy a small table at Family Dollar for $10 (that's what I did) or at the thrift store. Finally, some spells call for incense; you can buy a lot of this for cheap at panpipes.com

Anything else?

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

Archimonde
post Jan 30 2011, 01:46 AM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

I read somewhere that you need to buy a certain bowl for the bandar at some point and that you have to burn nettles and pine incense, I was wondering will lawn grass or something else do in it's place as I don't have access to nettles. Also I thought I read something about needing a copper dagger which I could not find for sale using google, thankfully I do own a black robe and I was thinking of using a paper mache mask for the crown of Anu, I suppose these things are meant to be acquired gradually as one works through the system but I am just trying to make certain I have my bases covered before starting as I want to give the system the respect it deserves.

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Jan 30 2011, 12:38 AM) *

Fantastic! Yeah, there are a few expensive hardcover copies on the market, some for as much as $1000. Sellers try to mark occult books up far beyond what they are worth in general, glad you found a deal.
Other magical systems use a larger assortment of tools, the Necronomicon is very minimalist. For the Necronomicon, a piece of paper to draw the sigils and a candle are the only tools you need to start with. A blackened mirror may also be useful for scurrying, but that can wait for now; you can usually find such a thing online for around $30. If you want, you can also wear a simple robe, such as may be bought at azothart.com, but robes run around $100 in general; fortunately, the text only calls for "simple vestments," and one could use a plain set of regular clothing. Some spells call for the use of an alter, but you can use a small table that you own...or buy a small table at Family Dollar for $10 (that's what I did) or at the thrift store. Finally, some spells call for incense; you can buy a lot of this for cheap at panpipes.com

Anything else?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Archimonde   Seeking A Mentor   Jan 27 2011, 01:44 PM
monkman418   I read somewhere that you need to buy a certain b...   Jan 30 2011, 03:08 AM
Darkmage   Stinging nettle is quite common worldwide. I don...   Jan 30 2011, 03:46 AM
VitalWinds   Wow. Good job helping him out guys. With all the i...   Jan 30 2011, 09:55 AM
Archimonde   I was also wondering what kind of bowl you guys us...   Jan 30 2011, 09:55 AM
monkman418   Wow. Good job helping him out guys. With all the ...   Jan 30 2011, 12:08 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   I would suggest sticking to whatever the book call...   Jan 30 2011, 03:22 PM
Archimonde   In fact I am attempting to get everything as preci...   Jan 30 2011, 05:17 PM
monkman418   In fact I am attempting to get everything as prec...   Jan 31 2011, 06:34 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   I think the BIGGER issue here is whether or not w...   Jan 31 2011, 07:55 PM
monkman418   War! Sorry to see that you agree with Imper...   Jan 31 2011, 09:10 PM
Archimonde   I certainly did not mean to come across as willy n...   Jan 31 2011, 11:51 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   Real magic can be done with a prayer or a though...   Feb 1 2011, 10:16 AM
Archimonde   Vagrant, when you put things that way I can unders...   Feb 1 2011, 11:41 AM
Vagrant Dreamer   Vagrant, when you put things that way I can under...   Feb 1 2011, 01:16 PM
Archimonde   I think what I will do before starting is to basic...   Feb 1 2011, 04:41 PM
monkman418   Real magic can be done with a prayer or a thought...   Feb 4 2011, 07:15 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   Yet the algorithm has only one form? And everyth...   Feb 4 2011, 11:18 PM
monkman418   I take it that you've used the Necronomicon s...   Feb 5 2011, 03:25 AM
Imperial Arts   Sorry to see that you agree with Imperial Arts on...   Feb 6 2011, 02:24 AM
monkman418   This is an excellent argument, thank you Imperial ...   Feb 6 2011, 03:21 PM
Imperial Arts   If you are conducting an experiment for yourself, ...   Feb 6 2011, 04:22 PM
monkman418   If you are conducting an experiment for yourself,...   Feb 7 2011, 09:53 PM
Imperial Arts   When I began experiments with the Goetia, I was th...   Feb 8 2011, 12:05 AM
Archimonde   Great post Imperial and I agree with you and Vagra...   Feb 8 2011, 04:37 PM
monkman418   It might be a fine experiment. It might be scien...   Feb 8 2011, 09:27 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   If you're going to take it from a point of vie...   Feb 9 2011, 05:23 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   The off-topic portion of this thread was redirecte...   Feb 7 2011, 06:58 PM
Vilhjalmr   Approaching it without the proper passion or solem...   Jan 31 2011, 07:23 PM
sirius666   I should encourage all of us to think a bit beyond...   Feb 9 2011, 08:58 PM
monkman418   I should encourage all of us to think a bit beyon...   Feb 9 2011, 09:20 PM
Imperial Arts   In the case of the Necronomicon, and many other oc...   Feb 10 2011, 12:53 AM
Vagrant Dreamer   I should encourage all of us to think a bit beyon...   Feb 10 2011, 09:41 AM
sirius666   At this point, our discussion has migrated far fro...   Feb 10 2011, 08:34 PM
VitalWinds   I should encourage all of us to think a bit beyon...   Mar 21 2011, 03:01 PM
alkeides   Excuse me for butting in here but I think a food m...   Feb 10 2011, 05:24 AM
Waterfall   I call BS. This is no more a logical or scientifi...   Feb 10 2011, 09:45 PM
monkman418   I call BS. This is no more a logical or scientifi...   Feb 11 2011, 12:09 AM
Vagrant Dreamer   This was not my claim, although Imperial did say...   Feb 11 2011, 10:15 AM
monkman418   It is said that: I've restated my original ...   Feb 12 2011, 07:03 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   Sirius 666 explained this very clearly already, ...   Feb 13 2011, 10:38 AM
monkman418   With apologies for being absent the last few weeks...   Mar 1 2011, 06:55 PM
sirius666   Indeed ... In science, as well as in magick, fall...   Mar 1 2011, 10:09 PM

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse