Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Seeking A Mentor
Archimonde
post Jan 27 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

I was wondering if anyone here teaches the system to individual students, I am new to this system but have felt a strong interest or pull if you will to get involved in it, my main problem is that I don't have any of the books and at present cannot afford to buy them, and I have read that the pdf versions have mispronunciations? In any event I would ordinarily not persue something under these circumstances but I am feeling a strong attraction to the system that I cannot explain, as I have never worked with it at all.

I have spent time with some other systems such as Initiation into Hermetics and Donald Michael Kraigs Modern Magick, and while they did give me some good theoretical insight into the world of magick, I just never felt a connection, my work under those systems just felt lifeless and clinical at times, so here I am, seeking a teacher and I will await any replies to this topic, I would also like to know why I feel such a pull toward the system practically out of nowhere if anyone can offer an explanation.

--------------------
Azhir uval nutarus, Azhir mudas ethanul. Dalektharu il dask daku ,Riftuuz e thara samanar utamus. Elas umanes azarathan rakas ibna.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
monkman418
post Jan 30 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(VitalWinds @ Jan 30 2011, 09:55 AM) *

Wow. Good job helping him out guys. With all the information you just rattled off, I might just get myself a Necronomicon too. (Anyone seen the Evil Dead movies? LOL)

Maybe we should start a Necronomicon club, and decide to open this or that gate week by week and report our experiences. Might cause the end of the world, but it would be fun while it lasted...

QUOTE(Archimonde @ Jan 30 2011, 09:55 AM) *

I was also wondering what kind of bowl you guys use for the burning of offerings, do you use a clay bowl? And when you are instructed to burn bread or nettle you just use a match or lighter? Also when it comes to the offering of fresh bread do you guys just use regular loaf bread that you buy from the store or do you actually make it fresh? Sorry about all of the questions I am sure you all have answered them before many times.

Oh and I checked panpipes.com and yes they do have nettle very cheap prices, thank you for the site monkman it seems to have just about everything one would need and at great prices.

Awesome, yeah, panpipes is great in the incense/herbs/oils department.

I don't think you need to have any specific type of material for an offering bowl, though clay is inexpensive and easy to come by on ebay...factors which also probably made it a popular choice of material in ancient Sumeria. Some magical tools do use specific materials that line up with elemental or other attributions; I doubt this has anything to do with it in this case, but if you're worried clay is cheap.

Use a match or a lighter, unless one or the other bothers you too much. I started doing magick with matches because it felt more "old fashioned" and therefore authentic or something, but switched to using a lighter when I ran out of matches. There is no difference, fire is fire.

Hmmm...well...I wouldn't use a loaf of Wonder bread as an offering. Many stores have a "fresh baked" section where they sell loaves of bread for a few bucks that they baked that morning, so I would try that. Learning to bake bread is very easy though if you want to go that route. What probably matters most is that one is using a nice loaf of bread.

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Jan 30 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #3

Practicus
Group Icon

I would suggest sticking to whatever the book calls for. That way if things don't go the way they are supposed to, you can know that it wasn't because you didn't have the correct tools. And in some books, the various tools are specific and intended for some kind of protection. Metals and various plants, etc., have been long associated with particular uses, and substituting other materials may either produce no effects, or may altar the outcome of the ceremonies in ways you don't want.

Start altering the ceremonies after you have enough experience and knowledge with them as they are, and have had the opportunity to start inquiring of the entities involved personally how much leeway there is - and then keep in mind that they might prefer you be less protected or otherwise in charge.

A copper dagger, a copper crown, an earthen vessel (clay or stone), fresh bread (it takes very little ingredients to make bread, and it is not difficult, and you can make a small amount just for this purpose for less than a dollar per loaf), and a little bit of space is not a lot to ask. Until you get up to the need for gold and silver, most everything in the system is easily acquired. Look for sheets of copper for the dagger and the crown. You can by a rectangular sheet of 'craft' copper thick enough to use as a dagger for $20 or so online (plus a $5 metal file and a $20 set of metal sheers that you can use for other projects), and the same place will sell thinner sheets for less money that can be used to create the crown (which you can secure into a circular shape with an awl driven through in the back in three or four holes that you can use the same metal file from the dagger project to file down).

If you want to explore the system, then take the time to get the appropriate materials. If it takes a little longer to do it right, it will be worth it if you get what you want out of it.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Archimonde   Seeking A Mentor   Jan 27 2011, 01:44 PM
monkman418   I was wondering if anyone here teaches the system...   Jan 29 2011, 08:04 PM
Archimonde   Thank you for the reply monkman, I have actually l...   Jan 29 2011, 08:59 PM
monkman418   Thank you for the reply monkman, I have actually ...   Jan 29 2011, 11:38 PM
Archimonde   I read somewhere that you need to buy a certain bo...   Jan 30 2011, 01:46 AM
monkman418   I read somewhere that you need to buy a certain b...   Jan 30 2011, 03:08 AM
Darkmage   Stinging nettle is quite common worldwide. I don...   Jan 30 2011, 03:46 AM
VitalWinds   Wow. Good job helping him out guys. With all the i...   Jan 30 2011, 09:55 AM
Archimonde   I was also wondering what kind of bowl you guys us...   Jan 30 2011, 09:55 AM
Archimonde   In fact I am attempting to get everything as preci...   Jan 30 2011, 05:17 PM
monkman418   In fact I am attempting to get everything as prec...   Jan 31 2011, 06:34 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   I think the BIGGER issue here is whether or not w...   Jan 31 2011, 07:55 PM
monkman418   War! Sorry to see that you agree with Imper...   Jan 31 2011, 09:10 PM
Archimonde   I certainly did not mean to come across as willy n...   Jan 31 2011, 11:51 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   Real magic can be done with a prayer or a though...   Feb 1 2011, 10:16 AM
Archimonde   Vagrant, when you put things that way I can unders...   Feb 1 2011, 11:41 AM
Vagrant Dreamer   Vagrant, when you put things that way I can under...   Feb 1 2011, 01:16 PM
Archimonde   I think what I will do before starting is to basic...   Feb 1 2011, 04:41 PM
monkman418   Real magic can be done with a prayer or a thought...   Feb 4 2011, 07:15 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   Yet the algorithm has only one form? And everyth...   Feb 4 2011, 11:18 PM
monkman418   I take it that you've used the Necronomicon s...   Feb 5 2011, 03:25 AM
Imperial Arts   Sorry to see that you agree with Imperial Arts on...   Feb 6 2011, 02:24 AM
monkman418   This is an excellent argument, thank you Imperial ...   Feb 6 2011, 03:21 PM
Imperial Arts   If you are conducting an experiment for yourself, ...   Feb 6 2011, 04:22 PM
monkman418   If you are conducting an experiment for yourself,...   Feb 7 2011, 09:53 PM
Imperial Arts   When I began experiments with the Goetia, I was th...   Feb 8 2011, 12:05 AM
Archimonde   Great post Imperial and I agree with you and Vagra...   Feb 8 2011, 04:37 PM
monkman418   It might be a fine experiment. It might be scien...   Feb 8 2011, 09:27 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   If you're going to take it from a point of vie...   Feb 9 2011, 05:23 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   The off-topic portion of this thread was redirecte...   Feb 7 2011, 06:58 PM
Vilhjalmr   Approaching it without the proper passion or solem...   Jan 31 2011, 07:23 PM
sirius666   I should encourage all of us to think a bit beyond...   Feb 9 2011, 08:58 PM
monkman418   I should encourage all of us to think a bit beyon...   Feb 9 2011, 09:20 PM
Imperial Arts   In the case of the Necronomicon, and many other oc...   Feb 10 2011, 12:53 AM
Vagrant Dreamer   I should encourage all of us to think a bit beyon...   Feb 10 2011, 09:41 AM
sirius666   At this point, our discussion has migrated far fro...   Feb 10 2011, 08:34 PM
VitalWinds   I should encourage all of us to think a bit beyon...   Mar 21 2011, 03:01 PM
alkeides   Excuse me for butting in here but I think a food m...   Feb 10 2011, 05:24 AM
Waterfall   I call BS. This is no more a logical or scientifi...   Feb 10 2011, 09:45 PM
monkman418   I call BS. This is no more a logical or scientifi...   Feb 11 2011, 12:09 AM
Vagrant Dreamer   This was not my claim, although Imperial did say...   Feb 11 2011, 10:15 AM
monkman418   It is said that: I've restated my original ...   Feb 12 2011, 07:03 PM
Vagrant Dreamer   Sirius 666 explained this very clearly already, ...   Feb 13 2011, 10:38 AM
monkman418   With apologies for being absent the last few weeks...   Mar 1 2011, 06:55 PM
sirius666   Indeed ... In science, as well as in magick, fall...   Mar 1 2011, 10:09 PM

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse