Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Huge Protests In Egypt
Petrus
post Jan 28 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

If anyone here is willing, please monitor #Egypt or #jan25 on Twitter.

Egypt is currently under near complete Internet lockdown. Multiple fatalities...police setting fire to cars and city squares. Please let anyone know what is happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtTUsqra-MU

This post has been edited by Petrus: Jan 28 2011, 12:56 AM

--------------------
Magical Evocation. All the fun of train surfing, without having to leave the house.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Lichdar
post Feb 1 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #2

Initiate
Group Icon

Because someone has to play the devil's advocate:

Before massively endorsing the breakdown of oppressive and dictatorial governments, consider that democracy is a process and as a process, it needs significant scaffolding in the form of overall freedom, a more generally educated population, and a variety of other factors. And sometimes, its not always appropriate. Augusto Pinochet was a horrible tyrant, but I would honestly credit Chile's present economic strength: the highest nominal GDP per capita to it and thus, the improved welfare of hundreds of thousands to his oppressive methods that nonetheless benefitted the essentially effective structure of a free market economy.

And sometimes, one has to prop up devils and monsters when necessary; there are many mercenaries who are former felons and criminals, but you might consider them quite differently when you're guarding you from taking a 45 caliber in the head. Sometimes the relative value of a partner is not in their overall morality, but in their present necessity.

That said, it doesn't particularly justify most Middle Eastern governments who are genuinely outdated and pathetically corrupt institutions that do little except to perpetuate themselves. I am hopeful that Egypt will reform effectively, though the fear that it will descend into chaos and bloodshed is yet present with me.

As a final aside, I actually work for an Islamic institution in one of my jobs. I think it would be immensely patronizing to consider the Islamic culture to be identical to our own without considering it on its own merits and weaknesses. It is generally, at least a slightly more aggressive religion in atittude. If you go into a Catholic high school, you will see a lot of scripture, but not much praise of the Crusades. In an Islamic school, its not infrequent to see a lot of praise of the 'power of Islamic' as reflected in their heydays of conquest as it is often seem as indistinguishable from Allah's promise of love and blessing to his people.

That said, they're still human beings - just because they are different or may even have a culture that's more vulnerable to extremism does not change that indeed, they still have housewives who need to shop, boys who want to annoy people and girls trying to get colorful headscarves so they'll be looked at. People are still people.

This post has been edited by Lichdar: Feb 1 2011, 07:48 AM

+Quote Post

Petrus
post Feb 2 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Lichdar @ Feb 2 2011, 12:42 AM) *

Because someone has to play the devil's advocate:

Before massively endorsing the breakdown of oppressive and dictatorial governments, consider that democracy is a process and as a process, it needs significant scaffolding in the form of overall freedom, a more generally educated population, and a variety of other factors.

To really play devil's advocate, I'm getting to the point of wishing that we could try something other than "democracy," personally; or at least in terms of the federated/centralised euphemism that people usually seem to refer to. Centralised government, in the context of many millions of people, is IMHO both unnatural, and is too large for human cognition to be able to cope with it. That's why, I think anyway, we have such endemic corruption in government, among other things. There can't be accountability with so many people.

http://neotribe.tribe.net/thread/ebb13ba4-...09-d327977fbdf7 - A post on neo-tribalism.

--------------------
Magical Evocation. All the fun of train surfing, without having to leave the house.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse