Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Karma, Have you really thought about it?
Dancing Coyote
post Feb 19 2010, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

I personally don't believe in karma for varying reasons which will be pointed out in the duration of your stay. I hope to get a clearer picture of the generalized belief being Karma, hopefully you can enlighten me.

Karma is a strange thing, have you thought about it? Let us first address this: we get "bad karma" or 'punished' by thoughts or actions. Now I feel this is a reasonable response to a bad action, but I am one of those who have a vested interest in ethics: so let's pick this apart. Bad actions. Do we get punished for harming animals? Generalized occult studies, basic animism, and modern science, all agree we are no different than another species of animal on this planet; but we're harvesting them for food, we cause global suffering for the worldwide animal population and most of us don't even realize half the extent of it. Now if we do get punished for harming animals, if it is an ethical 'wrong' then how far does it go? Do we get bad karma for killing a cockroach? Technically speaking this cockroach has basically the same right to life as you do, so you're intrinsically killing a being equal to that of yourself. So how far do we go? Do we take it to the microbial level? Do we get bad karma for fighting off a disease, "Sir, our antibodies killed thousands today. I'd suggest you donate to that starving-children in africa foundation" Or does our bodily karma have a sort of just war theory behind it? Now if karma exists on a universal scale: I very much doubt bad karma comes out of fighting and/or killing: not all animals always kill for food, nor do the harvest/use all of their kill. So either karma exists for all animals or it exists for humans only. This is a weird concept, why would it exist for humans only?

Maybe humans have a sort of psychic law enforcement behind all actions and things. Wow that's a bit eerie to think about. If this is true then karma would largely function on the cultural influence around it, it might not be karmatically wrong to eat beef in texas but if you even think about it in India you're fucked royal. Maybe it's even intrinsically wrong to not be racist in the south; bad things will happen to you if you do not submit to the surrounding cultural beliefs/taboos. This makes karma sound a bit like a perpetuation of an anthropological word "ethnocentrism."

The only time I've heard the word "karma" used is when someone doesn't get what they want from someone else, and it's a term used in a cursing fashion. "that karma will get to em, you wait and see. What goes around comes around." So this is closer to calling the furies on someone than anything else.

How about cultural gaps, is it wrong for a man to take up several wives? Is it intrinsically wrong to practice polyamory? How about consent age, it's 16 in the Netherlands.

Do we get punished for spending money on a shirt from a big brand-name clothing superstore who obviously gets their products from Indonesian sweatshops?

I could go on with examples but I think you get my point, karma is closer to a curse than anything else. Something like evoking the furies, or using the evil eye only in the guise of justice, quite possibly closer to evoking the rune Tyr.

--------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced form of magick will appear indistinguishable from science"

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Dancing Coyote   Karma   Feb 19 2010, 11:17 AM
scoobs   I have thought about Karma. :blablabla: Intent...   Feb 19 2010, 09:16 PM
Dancing Coyote   I have thought about Karma. :blablabla: Inten...   Feb 19 2010, 11:22 PM
scoobs   I've gotten positive results from anger-worki...   Feb 20 2010, 11:45 AM
SororZSD23   I agree with you on some observations about Karma,...   Feb 20 2010, 10:49 AM
SororZSD23   Found this in the booklet Khaos Magick and Urban S...   Feb 21 2010, 12:49 PM
scoobs   Don't you think it would be in your benefit t...   Feb 21 2010, 11:10 PM
Dancing Coyote   Found this in the booklet Khaos Magick and Urban ...   Feb 25 2010, 07:55 PM
scoobs   Light and Dark, Sun and Moon, Creation and Destruc...   Feb 26 2010, 11:49 AM
Dancing Coyote   Light and Dark, Sun and Moon, Creation and Destru...   Feb 26 2010, 12:46 PM
Moonchilde   I have thought about Karma. It's a simple act...   Feb 22 2010, 09:05 PM
Bb3   I was at the gym the other day and I heard somethi...   Feb 25 2010, 07:31 PM
SororZSD23   Bb3's anecdote perfectly describes what is all...   Feb 27 2010, 09:15 AM
scoobs   Morals were used in my examples because it was the...   Mar 1 2010, 12:30 AM
SororZSD23   K :blackeye: . After you've spent 25+ yea...   Mar 1 2010, 07:15 PM
Dancing Coyote   K :blackeye: . After you've spent 25+ ye...   Mar 1 2010, 09:37 PM
plainsight   People tend to slap a price and quantity to the id...   Apr 13 2010, 07:34 PM
Lacresh   I do not believe in karma as a supernatural force ...   Aug 24 2010, 02:27 AM
☞Tomber☜   Of course this isn't absolute, as evidenced b...   Aug 24 2010, 06:03 AM
Draw   I like to think of karma as simplistic magic for e...   Aug 24 2010, 10:58 AM
MrJohm   For any one who does not believe in Karma, I advis...   Mar 27 2011, 12:46 PM
Imperial Arts   I am not a scholar of Eastern religions, but from ...   Mar 30 2011, 01:32 AM

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse