Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Focus & Control, Need them; Don't Have them
fatherjhon
post Mar 7 2007, 01:41 AM
Post #1

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Greetings,

I have a question about the lack of focus and control of thought during meditation and AP.

Now, Getting to the astral is not the problem; staying there is. I often find myself thrust about, as my mind is unable to maintain; focus shifts back to the physical, or somewhere else.

Similarly, I meditate regularly and have no problem clearing my mind. However, if I try to concentrate on something in particular, my mind goes from aspect to aspect until I'm no longer thinking of what I should- often I wind up on some past event that I have not thought about for years.

This only seems to happen when in the astral, or during particular meditation, and never during a ritual or spell. I do not know why it happens, but more upsetting the selectivity of when it happens.

Any thing you can offer is appreciated.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Mar 7 2007, 03:46 AM
Post #2

Practicus
Group Icon

In your astral projection method, you mention that you stare at a single point until your vision goes black. Observe the sensation of the action of that practice - that is, what it feels like to do it - as that is an excellent exercise of focus and control. If you are not able to extend those instinctive skills into other areas yet, then it only means you have been perfecting an action without perfecting the skill you use to perform it - like learning to draw a specific picture, without learning the art of drawing. Our unconscious uses a variety of skills naturally and instinctively - to us it looks instinctive anyway, that is our name for seeing it in action - all we have to do is pay attention when it does those things, to learn the principles behind them. The principles are fewer than the applications. Focus entirely on a few other actions, like making a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. Truly inhabit and experience the process, contemplate the substances, their differences, observe them totally. That is the same principle as what you are applying to the single point. That principle is, in fact, single pointedness. A 'single point' can be any experience willfully focused on to the exception of all else, no matter how wide that experience may be - a point on the wall, an object, a room, an astral landscape.

Peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Mar 7 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #3

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Greetings,

Sounds like it may take sometime. Experiencing something totally, is counter to what I have been told/doing. Normally paraphernalia is used- as long as the correct objects are used, all one need worry about is keeping ones emotions back.

I have made harder adjustments in the last few years; should be fine.

Thank you, for the help.

Cheery-Bye

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Mar 7 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #4

Practicus
Group Icon

It is deceptively simple and complex at the same time. The object is to be totally in the experience, focused on it, but not directing it. It's a combination of hanging on and letting go at the same time. Make it your reality.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse