Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Pop Icon Godforms, Buffy Summers Hear My Cry
Marconus
post Apr 3 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

Ok,

I'm just wondering how many Chaotes here like to use popular characters (from television, cereal boxes, billboards, whereever) as godforms in their rituals.

Personally, I've used a bunch: Bob Marley, Bruce Lee, John Wayne, Spike (both the BtVS and Cowboy Bebop characters), Ed Wood, Elvis, and Marilyn Monroe.

My favorite pantheon is made up of the Bebop Crew. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/001.gif)

So let's hear about you all's.

This post has been edited by Marconus: Apr 3 2005, 06:14 PM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

TaylorE
post Apr 4 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #2

Initiate
Group Icon

I've worked with a bunch of pop culture icons...the bebop crew for elemental work...Harry Potter's another favorite

+Quote Post

Marconus
post Apr 4 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

Cool,

What elements did you associate the Bebop crew with? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Or by elemental work do you mean servitor stuff?

I like invoking them the best, especially Spike Spiegel since all I have to do is kickback and light a cigarette. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Marconus: Apr 4 2005, 10:47 PM

+Quote Post

mediocracy
post Apr 5 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #4

GONE
Group Icon

TaylorE is too polite to mention his excellent book 'Pop Culture Magick' or which chapters 5 & 6 cover this very topic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

Rin
post Apr 5 2005, 01:53 PM
Post #5

Yaoi Fanboy
Group Icon

While he may not be an "icon," Drop and I have experimented with using David Boreanaz and/or his character "Angel" as a godform. The character Angel works quite well with my patron, INPW.

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/Rin_Daemoko/Boreanaz-David3v.jpg)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

DropAndRiver
post Apr 5 2005, 02:35 PM
Post #6

Neophyte
Group Icon

::swoons::

Yes, I pray to Angel. I also pray to Jack Skellington occasionally; mainly for him to kill me and let me live in Halloweentown lol. Everything I have requested from Angel has been fulfilled.

He's our Champion....

--------------------
Hello! What can the Universe do for/to you today?

+Quote Post

mediocracy
post Apr 5 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #7

GONE
Group Icon

Invokations of pop icons can go badly wrong. This is a prime example of a Rocky invokation that got out of control...

http://theteatime.free.fr/talc/rocky.html

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/7.gif)

+Quote Post

Marconus
post Apr 5 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Neophyte
Group Icon

Wow, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/7.gif)

That kind of reminded me of that show on Comedy Central "Trigger Happy T.V." how long did the guy keep it up? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shok.gif)

TaylorE is too polite to mention his excellent book 'Pop Culture Magick' or which chapters 5 & 6 cover this very topic. 

Neat, would there be a copy of it in the SM Library by any chance?

Maybe Talor can tell us some more about that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Please. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/00000051.gif)

+Quote Post

Marconus
post Apr 5 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #9

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Rin Daemoko @ Apr 5 2005, 02:53 PM)
While he may not be an "icon," Drop and I have experimented with using David Boreanaz and/or his character "Angel" as a godform. The character Angel works quite well with my patron, INPW.

I've said a couple of prayers to Buffy, Willow, and Cordy (Angel version) a couple of times.

Willow sometimes reminded me of the Morrigan a couple of times, and sometimes I've wondered if it wasn't the Morrigan impersonating Willow.

Buffy makes a good Guardian, but Cordelia makes an excellent sex deity, so I've done Sex Magick with her from time to time.

And I think I'll try Angel (and Faith) for a while, see if they're as responsive as you all say they are. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) No, I'm not going to test them, I'll simply worship them for a while. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Marconus: Apr 5 2005, 05:07 PM

+Quote Post

Radiant Star
post Apr 6 2005, 03:41 AM
Post #10

Theoricus
Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ac41.gif)

Best laugh I have had in days - thank you mediocracy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/00000008.gif)

+Quote Post

babyalien
post Apr 9 2005, 09:53 AM
Post #11

Neophyte
Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) thats so funny, Invoke jesus and you may get stigmata I guess, is another example.

+Quote Post

Praxis
post Aug 11 2005, 08:16 PM
Post #12

Mage
Group Icon

I really would not be surprised if by the end of the decade there is a new generation of young Mages evoking and invoking members of the Pokemon Pantheon.

I know that will make the short hairs of many Elders of The Art curl tighter than screws in a pocketwatch, but I can really see it happening - both because many kids really were deep into Pokemon for a while during the late 90s, and because the Pokemon Pantheon is a really large conglomeration of entities with various abilities.

At the very least, someone might come up with a method for using all those species of pokemons as templates for servitors (talk about taking servitor battles to the next level or what, huh?)

I wouldn't put it past Llewellyn to publish The Pokemonicon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by Praxis: Aug 11 2005, 08:28 PM

+Quote Post

KosmischeMusik
post Oct 19 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #13

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

Haha....Pokemonicon

What about group work as voltron/ and his composite parts...

--------------------
Excerise extreme skepticism and general disbelief to everything you just read... if you havent already...

+Quote Post

FraterNPLS
post Mar 31 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #14

Neophyte
Group Icon

It's really funny that you mention Pokemon, a Japanese anime, because A LOT of occult based anime is coming out of Japan. But not just their animal/card capture genre. If anyone has played Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or SMT: Digital Devil Saga, they will know exactly what I'm talking about. Shin Megami Tensei is a genre that until Nocturne, was considered too dark and controversial to be sold in the US. In some parts of Nocturne, it is aparent that you are working for Lucifer against the will of Yahweh, or for neither! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evil2.gif)
You recruit demons, fuse them, and recover artifacts that have extreme occult significance.
As a matter of fact, Shin Megami Tensei in Japanese roughly translates as "The Rebirth of The Goddess"
This is but one of many video game references, and of course strictly anime-based television programs are no better. (except they have to be toned down for ratings)

This post has been edited by Ouroboros: Mar 31 2006, 06:13 PM

--------------------
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

+Quote Post

LordCorpusOpium
post Jun 2 2006, 08:29 AM
Post #15

Neophyte
Group Icon

I would never use pop icons and the like for godforms.I think most of us are anyway so much above those people.

+Quote Post

TaylorE
post Jun 11 2006, 02:57 AM
Post #16

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(Marconus @ Apr 5 2005, 05:55 PM) *
Wow, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/7.gif)

That kind of reminded me of that show on Comedy Central "Trigger Happy T.V." how long did the guy keep it up? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shok.gif)

TaylorE is too polite to mention his excellent book 'Pop Culture Magick' or which chapters 5 & 6 cover this very topic.

Neat, would there be a copy of it in the SM Library by any chance?

Maybe Talor can tell us some more about that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Please. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/00000051.gif)

Hi...gee this was posted a long time ago...my life kinda blew up for a while as can be the case. Pop Culture Magick is basically a book about how to integrate pop culture into magic and work with it. This includes entity work, but also practical examples. As for the bebop crew...I associated Jet with Earth, spike with water, Faye with Fire, Ed with Air and Ein with spirirt...used them to get rid of a sore throat but also do some balancing work in my life in general. Sorry for the very late reply.

+Quote Post

puck
post Aug 26 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #17

Initiate
Group Icon

Growing up in a protestant home, YHWH has always had alot of power to me. Currently he is Mr. Clean sitting on his Burger King bench in the sky, charging my sigils...

+Quote Post

bleachXlight
post Sep 6 2006, 09:22 AM
Post #18

Neophyte
Group Icon

i have never tried that before

but i always wanted to use the power words

in Alice 19th (a manga)

for a chaos paradigm

+Quote Post

altpath
post Oct 30 2006, 10:16 AM
Post #19

Zelator
Group Icon

My sister, very much a non-occultist, accidentally (well maybe intentionally) invoked Lex Luthor (Smallville TV-series version) once or twice.
She was cruel and cool and knew exactly what to say. Very unlike her since she is one of the shyest and quietest persons you'll meet.

That invocation turned into a thoughtform/obsession for awhile, so be careful when doing this sort of thing. Since they're pop-culture icons, they're as strong (possibly stronger) than some Gods, in feel. I don't mean that they can do more for us than the Gods, I mean that they are more in your face and not nearly as intelligent as the Gods. Like supercharged egregores that think they are gods.

That being said, my sister and I are interested in making a familiar out of a japanese manga character, Negi Springfield from Mahou Sensei Negima. If we do that today, I'll post about it later in a new thread.

--------------------
www.occult-desires.com/english/
Lust/Love, Money, Healing, Divinations - SpellWork with Daemonic Aid

www.occult-desires.com/espanol/
Ahora disponible en Espaņol, con servicios mas baratos para los Mexicanos.

+Quote Post

AncientOne
post Nov 5 2006, 07:31 AM
Post #20

Zelator
Group Icon

In my experience many characters from books and movies are more powerful than gods.They have much larger base of worshippers (meaning people that invest energy in them) and they are quite close to our plane in a way,much easier to evoke than traditional deities but most of them are not that intelligent.Which does not hinder their use however.Try summoning Beelzebub and Pinhead for revenge and see who comes first.Beelzebub is not likely to respond without heavy evocation,on the other hand simple and well prepared ritual is going to attract Pinhead with ease.Modern gods are more accessible.

+Quote Post

tyrian
post Nov 6 2006, 08:23 AM
Post #21

Neophyte
Group Icon

Edit: I don't think it's any easier to invoke a godform out of pop culture instead of bonafide deities. I can think of a dozen characters from films&books I'd have an easy time visualising (or actually idolising..) so slipping into that becomes just a little bit easier. Most of them are "larger than life" and quazidivine anyway. Maybe it's simpler than working with pantheon gods who come with so much historical baggage. It always happens: Medieval Europe had 'lives of the saints', Classical Greece had Homer, Aboriginal kids are raised with the Dreamtime cycle... every culture has that hugely important storytelling mechanism. I guess what's unique now is that massive choice replaced core groups of indisputable, canonical works which kept getting repeated and built-up on. Maybe what it comes down to is how available the concept is in your mind when you need it.

I'd summon Zoidberg.

This post has been edited by tyrian: Nov 6 2006, 08:28 AM

--------------------
Every man is sociable until a cow invades his garden

+Quote Post

altpath
post Nov 6 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #22

Zelator
Group Icon

I wouldn't be surprised if the "old" Godforms have simply been the same Gods in each culture, under different names, and are now the Pop-culture icons that we "worship" in this new era. I haven't done any investigation on it yet, but it seems to me that no matter what phase mankind is going through, the Gods are always there, under different names of course. They are a part of us, and want us to notice them and be a part of our life, even if it means being a character on TV.

Any ideas on who could be the new Ra?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Julian
post Nov 16 2007, 06:19 AM
Post #23

Neophyte
Group Icon

Thanks for the idea I started doing this with mangas characters and it really works fine
Does anybody have an idea of a journalist / writer god gorm I've tried some old gos out but I'd like to experience others

+Quote Post

sycho
post Nov 23 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #24

Initiate
Group Icon

Personally I use halo and full metal alchemist for my pantheon and elements. Master chief for my body and martial prowess. Cortona for knowledge and wisdom. Edward for alchemy .and to many others to name. I find it easier to invest belief and emotion in these characters over some long. gone god. plus its fun watching or reading something and trying to figure out what type of god form you can make.

--------------------
ALL THINGS BOUND BY THE LAWS OF NATURE--EVEN THE GODS

+Quote Post

Silver Dragon
post Nov 25 2007, 07:06 AM
Post #25

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(mediocracy @ Apr 5 2005, 04:19 PM) *
Invokations of pop icons can go badly wrong. This is a prime example of a Rocky invokation that got out of control...

http://theteatime.free.fr/talc/rocky.html

OK ...

Now that's just bizarre. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shok.gif)

--------------------
IPB Image Silver Dragon

Follow Me on Facebook

+Quote Post

Tyler Durden
post Dec 16 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #26

Zelator
Group Icon

I like to invoke characters (invoke as in pull their energy into my own, essentially "becoming" them mentally. My favorite thus far is Wolverine. I heal super fast when I invoke wolverine. Tends to give me a bad attitude though...whenever I invoke a character, to maxamize gaines, I have to completley become them...I had been working with the Wolverine invocation for about a month and a half when I wrecked my car head on into a concrete divider at 95+mph. Didn't phase me. I was in the gym workin out the very next day...

I also love invoking the very real Jim Morrision when I get up on stage and do Doors songs...

I'm workin on my John McClain (Die Hard)...

+Quote Post

altpath
post Dec 17 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #27

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Makavelli @ Dec 16 2007, 09:51 PM) *
I had been working with the Wolverine invocation for about a month and a half when I wrecked my car head on into a concrete divider at 95+mph. Didn't phase me. I was in the gym workin out the very next day...

I also love invoking the very real Jim Morrision when I get up on stage and do Doors songs...

I'm workin on my John McClain (Die Hard)...

Now that's magic, LOL.

Sweet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Btw, as an update about that Lex Luthor thing, my sister was also much more attractive to women in those days, LOL.

This post has been edited by altpath: Dec 17 2007, 12:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dasao
post Jan 1 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #28

Initiate
Group Icon

I don't have much experience in rituals, but I have invoked pop icons a few times, and you've played Kingdom Hearts, Organization XIII can make an interesting pantheon, with all of them having a corresponding element.

This post has been edited by Dasao: Jan 1 2008, 12:48 PM

+Quote Post

Silver Dragon
post Mar 3 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #29

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Makavelli @ Dec 16 2007, 08:51 PM) *
I like to invoke characters (invoke as in pull their energy into my own, essentially "becoming" them mentally.

I do something similar with Jeannie.

I don't actually BECOME her per se, but she's been a tremendous help to me as a magickal role model (If I'm hung up on a particular technique, I often ask myself, "How would Jeannie handle this?")

--------------------
IPB Image Silver Dragon

Follow Me on Facebook

+Quote Post

Star
post Mar 6 2008, 04:03 PM
Post #30

Neophyte
Group Icon

A better technique would be to enter into the universe of a character and use the actual person, perhaps speak to him/her. Otherwise you are only getting the the egregore or a mental thoughtform with some power at most.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
2 Pages 1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse