Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Books On Ancient Egypt?
grim789
post Feb 16 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

I was curious if anyone could give me some good reading on ancient egypt such as there gods/godesses and rituals just everything there is to know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Im trying to fill my brain with some more knowledge and i found the egyptian civilization to be very interesting so any books or websites for more info on this would be great and thanks in advance to any help.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blablabla.gif)

--------------------
When the devil cries in agony who then comes to his aide.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Darkmage
post Feb 17 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #2

Snarkmeister
Group Icon

Check your local library's anthropology section. Second choice would be a good used bookshop. Dover Publishing has quite a good selection of facsimile editions: http://store.doverpublications.com/

Basically look around first, then ask.

--------------------
As the water grinds the stone,
We rise and fall
As our ashes turn to dust,
We shine like stars...
--Covenant, "Bullet"

+Quote Post

scoobs
post Feb 17 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

There is a really good series of videos called magical Egypt I recommend and a related book written by John Anthony West called "Serpent in the sky - The high wisdom of ancient Egypt".

There was one part in the series, their interpretation of the afterlife, that I did not agree with though. It was an Egyptian picture of the soul bodies getting off the boat and a big horizontal snake with 12 human images along it. They said the snake represented Kundalini, but I disagree with that because Kundalini is not a singular entity, it is a dual entity of sun, moon and is always depicted vertical, not horizontal. I personally think the image has more to do with time and the 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 different times of the year a soul can be reincarnated in, renewed, reborn. IT might also be depicting the 12 ages of man in the long year count (precession).

--------------------
Student of Life

+Quote Post

grim789
post Feb 17 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

Thank you all for the post. Scoobs thanks for the post a video series would save some time LOL. I will look into this.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Mchawi
post Feb 28 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

Can't beat Ra Un Nefer Amens series titiled, "medu neter" there are now four volumes out by their temple each seeking to explain the culture and practices in detail using the Paut Neteru or company of Gods as a template (QBL).

Its from an African perspective and might make difficult reading for some, no referance to mud or ignorance appeasement but its well worth the read giving what is broken down within it.

This post has been edited by Mchawi: Feb 28 2010, 12:39 PM

+Quote Post

grim789
post May 16 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mchawi @ Feb 28 2010, 02:35 PM) *

Can't beat Ra Un Nefer Amens series titiled, "medu neter" there are now four volumes out by their temple each seeking to explain the culture and practices in detail using the Paut Neteru or company of Gods as a template (QBL).

Its from an African perspective and might make difficult reading for some, no referance to mud or ignorance appeasement but its well worth the read giving what is broken down within it.

Thank you i will be looking for a copy of this. I found a couple of good websites but i do enjoy reading a book after all can't take a computer everywere.

--------------------

+Quote Post

NetherSpirit
post Jun 8 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

"HEKA The Practises of Ancient Egyptian Ritual & Magic" by David Rankine is a BRILLIANT book that goes into great detail but is easy to take in and understand (unlike some books!), and "Endless Path" by Brenda Ralph Louis is great for understanding from a historical perspective rather than a magical one and might help with understanding other sources of information.

I also found "Egyptian Birth Signs" by Storm Constantine a good read that is useful if you enjoy astrology (although I doubt the validity of some of it), "The Wisdom of Ptah-Hotep" by Christian Jacq is again worth reading and really helps with understanding ancient Egyptian morals, and of course The Book of the Dead is a great read but I REALLY wouldn't suggest reading this until you've got a good understanding of ancient Egyptian religion.

Good luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Laie_58.gif)

--------------------
Know thyself...

+Quote Post

Unico
post Oct 3 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #8

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mchawi @ Feb 28 2010, 08:35 PM) *

I belive this writer can easy beat Ra Un Nefer Amen, this writer R. A. Schwaller de Lubicz is said to be maybe the last Egypt alchemyst, in these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfrbsJDcL-o&p=2481E3A968B08B9A&playnext=1&index=6

His books includes:
http://www.amazon.com/R.-A.-Schwaller-de-Lubicz/e/B001JPCHEW/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1286130475&sr=1-1

The temple of man seems to be the most famous!!

This post has been edited by Unico: Oct 3 2010, 12:34 PM

--------------------
El Unico

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse