Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Martial Arts
Ethereal Sight
post Jun 13 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #1

Light Wielder
Group Icon

Okay, this is deliberately placed in this section even though it doesn't fit entirely.

So I've decided to take up a martial art. #1 on my list is capoeira, #2 is krav maga, #3 is kung fu. However, it struck me that since many martial arts involve psionics, some of the people on this forum might practice a martial art and have some suggestions. So my question for those of you who take martial arts; what martial art would you recommend and why?

--------------------
"Take root in the ground, live in harmony with the wind, plant your seeds in the Winter, and rejoice with the birds in the coming of Spring." - Hayao Miyazaki (Sheeta from the film - Laputa: Castle In The Sky)
All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law. - Voltaire
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
Illusion is the first of all pleasures. - Voltaire

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

termsof
post Jun 13 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ethereal Sight @ Jun 13 2010, 03:41 PM) *

Okay, this is deliberately placed in this section even though it doesn't fit entirely.

So I've decided to take up a martial art. #1 on my list is capoeira, #2 is krav maga, #3 is kung fu. However, it struck me that since many martial arts involve psionics, some of the people on this forum might practice a martial art and have some suggestions. So my question for those of you who take martial arts; what martial art would you recommend and why?

I don't personally take martial arts, but I would say that the most 'psionically' based martial art that I've heard of is probably 'ba gua', but I've heard it takes a lot of training to be master effectively, and slow to learn, unlike some other more combat oriented martial arts.

"Kung fu" is a very broad term. Look up 'external' or 'internal' Chinese martial art to tell the difference.

This post has been edited by termsof: Jun 13 2010, 06:00 PM

+Quote Post

Ethereal Sight
post Jun 13 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #3

Light Wielder
Group Icon

QUOTE(termsof @ Jun 13 2010, 07:41 PM) *

I don't personally take martial arts, but I would say that the most 'psionically' based martial art that I've heard of is probably 'ba gua'

Ba gua is a taoist philosophy based on the elements... I'm confused.

--------------------
"Take root in the ground, live in harmony with the wind, plant your seeds in the Winter, and rejoice with the birds in the coming of Spring." - Hayao Miyazaki (Sheeta from the film - Laputa: Castle In The Sky)
All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Jun 13 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

Bagua is a soft martial art, akin to Taiji chuan. It is very effective, but hard to find. I do Taiji and Wing Chun Kungfu, but that is in part because I managed to find good teachers in these arts. Neither of the martial arts you were interested in are popular. Finding a good teacher is actually more important than the particular style.

If you are interested in the energy work aspects (Qigong, Kiko, etc) then the soft martial arts would be your best bet. Qigong, Kiko, energy work, whatever you want to call it is the 'psionic' aspect that you are referring to. It is part of most martial arts, but in soft martial arts such as Xing Yi, Ba Gua, Taiji, and Aikido it is much more emphasized. In the hard martial arts it is taught near the end of the training if at all, while in the soft styles it is taught from the very beginning.

Bagua perhaps takes a bit longer to be combat ready than in Tae Kwon Do, for instance, but not that much longer. It is also generally more effective and comprehensive. But the effectiveness of the martial artist depends less on the particular style than on the individual's athletic ability, the amount of work they put into learning to perform the skills, conditioning and courage. As one of my teachers used to say there are only so many ways to throw a punch or block a kick. I would suggest that you ask for recommendations, talk to potential teachers (no matter the style), and ask them such things as how long they have been practicing, how long have they been teaching, do they include internal work (Qigong, Kiko), and try to get a feel for the potential teacher. Do you think they would be inspiring to you? Do they seem knowledgeable, ethical, hard working, easy to get along with? What do you want out of it? Does the teacher seem to be training the students to become competitors, MMA fighters, street fighters? How does this fit into what you want? Schools often are focused on turning out competitive MAs (martial arts as a sport), street fighters (self defense), or hobbyists (exercise, a way of getting an evening away from the wife).

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Jun 14 2010, 01:18 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

What aspects of Kung Fu are you looking into? What do you want from it?

The more 'badass' or 'awesome' or 'cool' the art usually, is the far more rigid, brutal, cold, the teachers will be. From personal experience, they will treat you like crap (with good reason), scream at you, and continue to berate you until you get something right. This is all in their nature, given the art their teaching sets perfection as the baseline, but be prepared for the fact they think that 'the nail that sticks up must be pounded down.'

+Quote Post

Kath
post Jun 14 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

hehe, reminds me of a karate teacher I had as a child, he'd whack you with a stick on whatever body part you were not moving correctly. he was kinda like Mr Miyagi's grouchy humorless twin.

I've heard some people express feeling appalled that he'd actually hit students with a stick like some crazy old nun with a ruler. But it was actually a very effective training method IMO.

Anyway, the "internal" martial arts from china (those dealing extensively with energy and spirituality as a foundation) are collectively known as 'neijia'. Well sort of... neijia is a bit 'china-centric' and tends to exclude 'internal' martial arts which are foreign in origin. Still, it's a useful search term for tracking down some of the many 'internal' martial art forms.

Myself, I like the internal arts in general, and kung fu in general (I prefer a style based on fluidly conserving and redirecting momentum, as apposed to a striking style, I find this tends to blend very seamlessly into the internal and energy arts as well).

--------------------
‘Εκατερινη
IPB Image
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Audaces fortuna iuvat

+Quote Post

Xenomancer
post Jun 16 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #7

Rode off into the sunset...
Group Icon
From: AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON

Actor Yang Sze/Bolo Yeung (The buff guy from Enter the Dragon) took on his own training routine of Tai-chi and weightlifting. Supposedly, the weight training gives him the hard-training, while Tai-chi gives him the energy and spirit from the soft training for balance.

I am thinking of starting that same routine.

The idea of having the spiritual and energetic advantage of Tai-Chi in a built, trained body is a little... hyperbolic, but still nothing short of a "Superman" effect.

--------------------
IPB Image
¡HA HA! ¡ESTOY USANDO EL INTERNET!
-Never learn the Art of Sword before the Art of Dance. - Celtic Proverb
-Even with spiritual power, an unchecked ego will only seek to deify itself. - Frank MacEowen
-One cannot traverse waters without causing waves. - Xenomancer
-I find it interesting that we as scholars of metaphysics have no problem discussing the intricacies of the threads of reality, but when it comes to the things that really matter, we forget them. - Xenomancer
-This world is your home. We have a mix of everything here. If you want better, make better. There's no rule of going elsewhere for the tools. That's what magick is about. - Xenomancer

+Quote Post

Ethereal Sight
post Aug 24 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #8

Light Wielder
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ethereal Sight @ Jun 13 2010, 06:41 PM) *

So I settled on Karate and thought I would threadnap this for an alternate purpose - recycle this post instead of starting another.

Anybody have any tips????

--------------------

+Quote Post

Xenomancer
post Aug 24 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #9

Rode off into the sunset...
Group Icon
From: AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON

MOVE YOUR HIPS. MOVE THAT TRUNK.

The quicker you pivot the hips, the quicker you kick and recover.

LIFT THOSE KNEES! Don't limit your kick height!!

PROTIP: In the pivot of a fist from tucked to extended, wait until the final fourth of the punch's trajectory before twisting the fist to palm-over position. The speed of the pivot adds kinetic energy to the impact, therefore increasing force. Maximum effect from the twist at the last moment, because all the force is concentrated in a smaller increment in time, therefore increasing power following the principle Power=work/time (P=▲W/▲T).

This post has been edited by Xenomancer: Aug 24 2010, 09:58 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
¡HA HA! ¡ESTOY USANDO EL INTERNET!
-Never learn the Art of Sword before the Art of Dance. - Celtic Proverb
-Even with spiritual power, an unchecked ego will only seek to deify itself. - Frank MacEowen
-One cannot traverse waters without causing waves. - Xenomancer
-I find it interesting that we as scholars of metaphysics have no problem discussing the intricacies of the threads of reality, but when it comes to the things that really matter, we forget them. - Xenomancer
-This world is your home. We have a mix of everything here. If you want better, make better. There's no rule of going elsewhere for the tools. That's what magick is about. - Xenomancer

+Quote Post

Bb3
post Sep 4 2010, 03:44 AM
Post #10

Zelator
Group Icon

If you look at Goibniu's post again it's a great contemplation. Only advice is to practice correctly, if you've found a teacher you can relate to well and the art seems suited to you, then invest in some private lessons, or if broke ask as many questions as possible, the point being, get as much technique as you can as quickly as you can so you're practice time becomes as worthwhile as possible.

Remember, all martial arts should, if properly trained in 'occult' manner will return to soft, even if it's up to you to finish that aspect of your training. Don't let that thought stop you from learning the 'hard' way, hmmm... lol.

This post has been edited by Bb3: Sep 4 2010, 03:45 AM

--------------------
Mad skillz

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse