Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 SM Newsletter, Volunteers and ideas?
+ Kinjo -
post Sep 7 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

SM has an average of 1000 unique visitors daily to both the forums/the library and I'm thinking to publish a newsletter to a market size of at least 100 - 1000 interested subscribers.

Now this is just an idea for now since I have very little writing skill and occult knowledge, so I started this topic here to see if anyone has ideas, want to volunteer articles, and what else...

--------------------
IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

ChaosCrowley
post Sep 7 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #2

Keeper of the Philosopher's Scone
Group Icon

Are you planning on publishing it electronically (.pdf format)?
Or some type of hardcopy. You could do some type of thing where everyone is allowed to submit something and the moderators or forum members vote on a poll to determine whether to put it to issue.
If it is in .pdf what might be a good idea is to have a commentary on a certain work and then include the original.
I have some things i would like to contribute...right now am working on a short biography of giordano bruno that I will let you know about if you are interested. Even maybe the more interesting threads of the forum might be good.

chaoscrowley.txt

--------------------
"For many years I have been a Lapsed Idiot. With faith and penance, I hope one day to be a devout Imbecile again." - chaoscrowley

+Quote Post

Bb3
post Sep 8 2005, 01:23 AM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

It's really a great idea and if I wrote anything worthy to be put I would love to contribute as well. Every year I buy the Llewelleyn almanac and even though I don't use 95 percent of it the other 5 percent pays for the book. You could do it monthly, because I've yet to find a truly good monthly occult magazine, or you could do it quarterly and pay homage to each season, I think that the magazine would surely benefit of having some sort of planetary almanac as certainly dates and times can have affect.

--------------------
Mad skillz

+Quote Post

ChaosCrowley
post Sep 20 2005, 05:05 AM
Post #4

Keeper of the Philosopher's Scone
Group Icon

Is this idea moving along?
bb3's idea of a planetary almanac is a good one.
I hoped to see this idea come to fruition. One thing I think would be great is if it embraced the true multi-faceted nature of this forum and it's members.
I have received some other newsletters but too often they dwell within a specific section of belief.

--------------------
"For many years I have been a Lapsed Idiot. With faith and penance, I hope one day to be a devout Imbecile again." - chaoscrowley

+Quote Post

SlowLoris
post Sep 20 2005, 05:40 AM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

I'd love to be involved with this.

+Quote Post

A_Smoking_Fox
post Sep 20 2005, 06:35 AM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

good idea. I am willing to write something for it.

--------------------
In LVX,
Frater A.V.I.A.F.

+Quote Post

+ Kinjo -
post Sep 20 2005, 07:32 AM
Post #7

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

I'm not quite sure how we get started on this since I never done a newsletter before. Maybe we need to have people submit content/articles first.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

paxx
post Dec 15 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #8

Resident Fool
Group Icon

I am re-igniting this thread. I think the board is mature enough for a quarterly or bi-annual newsletter.

Organizing it is a pain. Getting people in the occult to do X is a pain in the rear…herding cats is an often-used analogy.

I have some failed experience at it, but I can outline what it takes and problems often encountered.

What it takes.
It takes at least 1 truly dedicated person, preferably more.

It takes people willing to write on topics and make footnotes and offer places to go. So as opposed to a message in a board, it is a complete self contained article, however it offers places to start looking if one wants to learn more.

It helps if there is some theme.

It helps if there is some editorial vetting, getting things to be concise, on point, well written, easily understood.

Some type setters…while not needed in electronic publications, someone has to put it together, what articles go where, that the document is searchable…and that pictures and such are well placed making it an easy and attractive read.

Because it is electronic, there is a lot we can do as we do not have the cost of publishing it on paper.

Lastly, I think we can have and offer some after article topics that last until the next publication. This can provide for off topic discussions as well as more to the point discussions. After the next publication, we lock the topics and allow them to be viewed, but not added to.

For the topics that truly grow, we add them to the standard forum.

I am willing to help, perhaps even in organizing but I always hope for people more enlightened then myself to.

The bad things…people promising things and not delivering. It happens all the time, you need to expect it and not count on things that are not done yet.

--------------------
--Paxx

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Dec 16 2007, 07:15 PM
Post #9

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Greetings,

Organizing it need not be a pain. Weekly or monthly yes, but with a bi-annual schedule it is reasonable to simply provide a place to deposit articles where they will be compiled. At worsted the editor puts out a call for papers and it gets published when there are enough submissions. Creating a theme and editing can be preformed rather late in the process and sorted out based on submissions received. The trick will be to get people to write- the herding cats bit. Yet even this can be easier, taking examples set by scholarly journals, the articles could describe recent projects, experiments, oddities and the like by members. A quick search of the forums revealed that many members have posted many interesting things that with a bit of work could be converted in to articles, also removing much of the hassle associated with writing. With some commentary and analysis- perhaps even suggested reading- a sizable article would not be out of the question. That approach, hopefully, would also- because it removes the daunting aspect of finding and researching a topic- get more people to participate, but it will depend on the type of publication.

The form and content will be decided on when the type of newsletter the community decides it wants is fixed. An update style where the recent activities are recorded will be very different to an explainer where topics are examined, so that should be decided first. Alliteratively it could be in the styled “annals” where any number of things- not necessarily for SM but related- are compiled and commented on.

“Lastly, I think we can have and offer some after article topics that last until the next publication. This can provide for off topic discussions as well as more to the point discussions.” I like this idea, provides more content for both the forums and the newsletter.

For my part, I spend a good bit of my time editing anyway, so I would love the chance to work on a project of my own choosing for once. If this gets off the ground I could even provide an article.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Dec 22 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #10

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Did this topic die again... and so soon? Or maybe everyone is putting polish on the articles. Because I like this I idea I'll assume the second one; I have acquired a program to design and publish news letters as well as an email account where one can deposit submissions.

The address is "[email protected]"

The question that ended this endeavor the fist time around was how to get started so it might be helpful to address it. Typically getting subscribers is the easy bit, simply have a input box in a explanatory page and link it to the front page. Some advertising couldn't hurt, but the rest is up to the writers and editor. Hope I'm not talking to myself.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Paradox
post Dec 27 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #11

The White Chaos ~Praecantrix~
Group Icon

Seems like a good idea I'd be interested as well.

--------------------
~Paradox The White Chaos~
~Praecantrix~
IPB Image

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Dec 28 2007, 07:25 AM
Post #12

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

That’s good. Do you have a favorite topic or doing anything interesting, maybe you are reading a book- good or bad? If so write about/review it. There is no need for long or even formal articles; with the prevalence of Chaotes’ on the forums I would not expect it. Just a semi-coherent account with a little insight or analysis, then send it off in whatever form you want to the address provided above.

Your “You Cast What You Eat!” topic seemed well received perhaps you can revisit it.

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Paradox
post Dec 28 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #13

The White Chaos ~Praecantrix~
Group Icon

Thats actually a good idea, That topic did grab a few people's attention.

--------------------
~Paradox The White Chaos~
~Praecantrix~
IPB Image

+Quote Post

SPoison
post Dec 29 2007, 11:22 AM
Post #14

Zelator
Group Icon

How's the progress on this so far?

--------------------
A blind person who sees is better than a seeing person who is blind. - Iranian (on wisdom)

Feel your center of power... Feel the world around you... Close your eyes and expect the unexpected...

Knowledge is universal

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Dec 29 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #15

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Nothing has been submitted, if that is your question, but It is the holidays and it hasn't even been a month so I would not expect a deluge. I will give it some time before I put out a call for papers. Other than that every thing is ready for when articles show up. I am also looking through the forums for intresting topics that might be turned in to a articles.

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

SPoison
post Dec 29 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #16

Zelator
Group Icon

Alright then, I'll see what I can turn up for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I have a collection of interesting tidbits that you might like.

--------------------
A blind person who sees is better than a seeing person who is blind. - Iranian (on wisdom)

Feel your center of power... Feel the world around you... Close your eyes and expect the unexpected...

Knowledge is universal

+Quote Post

paxx
post Jan 2 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #17

Resident Fool
Group Icon

Sorry, been occupied of late.
From the mod/admin side of things nothing really has been stated. I am waiting on Kinjo to comment on this. Since it is sort of his site :-P

But I am really looking forward to helping with this, I like the concepts and ideas, but until I get feedback, not sure it is going to move…then again you seem to be keeping it moving.

--------------------
--Paxx

+Quote Post

+ Kinjo -
post Jan 2 2008, 04:31 PM
Post #18

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

I've seen the occult newsletter ideas been thrown around for years on OccultForums and here on Sacred Magick Forums but noone really team up and dedicated enough to see it through. I'm tired of seeing someone stating anything without any real delivery. But if anyone up to it with good motivation, planning and management skill etc, off course I'll back it up with my available server and technical resources etc, so, let's just see.

This should start with a shortlist of dedicated volunteers to begin with.

Newsletter volunteers:
1. Team Leader: ??? Contribution offered: ???
2. Username: ??? Contribution offered: ???
3, Username: ??? Contribution offered: ???

Would anyone be dedicated enough to put their name up in public here to commit and deliver?

Also, how long should we expect the newsletter to survive? How is it different or what benefits it will offer to the readers that will differentiate it from random topics/posts everyone can read from the forums? Since nobody is getting paid to write the articles, naturally I wouldn't expect it to survive periodically for very long.

Honestly, I'll be more optimistic if we have groups of authors offering free book chapters or short articles to promote their books. There is more motivation, market, drive and win/win solution there.

All IMHO off course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Jan 2 2008, 09:38 PM
Post #19

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(+ Kinjo - @ Jan 2 2008, 05:31 PM) *
I've seen the occult newsletter ideas been thrown around for years on OccultForums and here on Sacred Magick Forums but noone really team up and dedicated enough to see it through. I'm tired of seeing someone stating anything without any real delivery. But if anyone up to it with good motivation, planning and management skill etc, off course I'll back it up with my available server and technical resources etc, so, let's just see.

I can sympathize. About five minutes of reflection brought to mind many times when I ran across abandoned attempts. Just curious, what recourses resources do you foresee the publication needing?

This should start with a shortlist of dedicated volunteers to begin with.

Newsletter volunteers:
1. Team Leader: ??? Contribution offered: ???
2. Username: ??? Contribution offered: ???
3, Username: ??? Contribution offered: ???

Would anyone be dedicated enough to put their name up in public here to commit and deliver?

Unless someone more qualified wants it, I volunteer as:
Team Leader: Father Jhon
Contribution offered: Editor, compiler

Also, how long should we expect the newsletter to survive? How is it different or what benefits it will offer to the readers that will differentiate it from random topics/posts everyone can read from the forums? Since nobody is getting paid to write the articles, naturally I wouldn't expect it to survive periodically for very long.

Survive? I suppose it will last at the very least a year- 2-4 publications. By then it will be obvious if the readership is interested or not. Conveniently the long space between issues allows for plenty of tinkering if something is wrong. If you don’t ‘expect it to survive for… very long’ you could always pay us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Honestly, I'll be more optimistic if we have groups of authors offering free book chapters or short articles to promote their books. There is more motivation, market, drive and win/win solution there.

Good idea... I see if I track down someone who will be willing to part with some excerpts.

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

+ Kinjo -
post Jan 3 2008, 07:59 AM
Post #20

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Jan 3 2008, 10:38 AM) *
I can sympathize. About five minutes of reflection brought to mind many times when I ran across abandoned attempts. Just curious, what recourses resources do you foresee the publication needing?

Not really sure until I see the content and format of the newsletter. But most probably will need a good commercial mailing list, autoresponder or other similar softwares that we can review latter. No biggie. Or just let me know what you need and I can have my developer work on it.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

SeekerVI
post Jan 4 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #21

Neophyte
Group Icon

What about an annual or a biannual publication to start out with? If it went well, you could always increase the frequency of the publications. Time's something I'd worry too much about if I had to write something monthly or heaven forgive, weekly!

--------------------
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
- Saul Bellow

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Jan 5 2008, 05:48 AM
Post #22

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(SeekerVI @ Jan 4 2008, 08:56 PM) *
What about an annual or a biannual publication to start out with? If it went well, you could always increase the frequency of the publications. Time's something I'd worry too much about if I had to write something monthly or heaven forgive, weekly!

Well that is the idea- to publish twice a year and tinker with the bits that go wrong between. By the end of the first year it will be quite plain if it will continue, by looking at the readership and the extra articles that did not make it in time or for whatever reason. The more extra spare articles the more likely to contenue, the same goes for the readership. There are other devises in the works to help engage the readers, but you get the idea.

I took the liberty of setting the tentative publication dates at Jul 1st and Dec 30th.

And right now I'm setting the min. number of articles for publication at seven articles at 700-1200 words each. The complete publication would then be between 8-10 pages, more than enough to start.

Also I find many Nec topics in my long list, but they will be under represented in the newsletter unless a more qualified editor is found. Preferably someone who actually practices, but anyone who knows what their talking about will do.

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

paxx
post Jan 5 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #23

Resident Fool
Group Icon

Sorry, started a new job recently that has had me working very odd hours I think in a couple of weeks that will normalize as my training is done, but I am filling a new position and it is not clear when the best hours for those duties are.

Anyway to the matter at hand.

Life of the project?
Until it dies.

Difference from the forum?
This would be in most cases longer posts, more researched, more indepth. It would give the chance to completely add context to the post.

It would also offer some type of viral advertisement to a multitude new people. I suspect that a good newsletter would survive a few years if it has one or two articles (sections) that are useful to others. From my experience good newsletters always led me to new sites and or forums.

I would offer that we should allow for longer articles, as long as they are concise on what is being said.

The biggest thing is that ideas or concepts be complete. We have a forum, this needs to be different. It also does not need to be timely, it should be more classic. In the sense that is does not matter if I am reading it now or 5 years from now.

I am willing to commit to anything short of editing and art work, those are areas I can not contribute to well. Personally in mind I had the concept of two articles, one on Composting for a small garden and one on multiple view points of giving thanks for the things we have. Goal of both articles are not to be the definitive articles on the topic but to get readers thinking and researching on their own.

I can also help with coordination and support, keeping track of progress, things like that.

Personally, I think we should shoot for twice a year, new submission cut off 40 days before publication. This allows for rewrites and fixes/changes edits and such. It also allows for any adding of images and such.

That is my take.

--------------------
--Paxx

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Jan 5 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #24

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(paxx @ Jan 5 2008, 01:28 PM) *
Personally in mind I had the concept of two articles, one on Composting for a small garden and one on multiple view points of giving thanks for the things we have. Goal of both articles are not to be the definitive articles on the topic but to get readers thinking and researching on their own.

I'm not sure I follow you, can you elaborate a bit.

Everything else works for me, save the cut off date. It ends the submissions nearly two months before it is due for publication. I was working from the assumption that anything turned in will be on the whole clear and accurate; so a lengthy re-wright phase is unneeded. It may be advisable to give people all the time possible to wright, unless you think what may be wrong can't be handled in the normal course of editing?

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

paxx
post Jan 5 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #25

Resident Fool
Group Icon

On the articles, composting, taking bio-waste materials and making it into fertilizer / rich soil. The other is about giving thanks for the things one has with a major twist, in fact it is three different ways of thinking about the same subject. One way is to think about it as doing magic across time (into the past) another is giving thanks, and the last is the fact that one should learn to want what they do have, before thinking about what they do not have. There are even more ways to think about it, but that is the main idea in my head.

As to the reason for early submissions…well I have found that it is easier to construct such things with what you “know” you have. Allowing time for improvements and such. Later if more articles that meet readability and subject matter requirements, they are still allowed but might be left out for a future publication…the due date is not totally solid but for most it should be considered such, for people who are good writers, it is not as necessary.

But in reality it is the Lead editor who sets deadlines and such, I would just submit that knowing myself and many of the “magickaly inclined” procrastination is a large part of our lives…getting things in at the last minute is common.

--------------------
--Paxx

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Jan 6 2008, 05:50 PM
Post #26

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(paxx @ Jan 5 2008, 09:30 PM) *
On the articles, composting, taking bio-waste materials and making it into fertilizer / rich soil. The other is about giving thanks for the things one has with a major twist, in fact it is three different ways of thinking about the same subject. One way is to think about it as doing magic across time (into the past) another is giving thanks, and the last is the fact that one should learn to want what they do have, before thinking about what they do not have.

Ah yes I see now. In so long as they are still useful to occultists it would widen the possible readership, and therefor be rather useful. Seeing as it is your idea you should get the first chance at it.

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Feb 7 2008, 12:34 PM
Post #27

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Greetings,

It has been awhile. I used the time constructively however, and sent letters to several authors I like in hopes of enticing them to an interview, or even- as Kinjo suggested- an extract from a book of theirs. Unfortunately I have only had one author respond, for an interview and a “maybe” on the extract.

So now I find myself without any one to contact and some pages to fill so if anyone has a author they enjoy or would simply like to see something from, send me a list and I will see if their interested.

Also I have received little by way of volunteers, so I have taken the liberty of nominating a few threads, where one or more posts have received positive reputation points. If it was good enough to nominate it should be good enough for a short article. (Which I will be posting just as soon as I remember how to add attachments- there are some four pages.) Feel free to add your own, or if your post was on the list feel free to write something on it, or anyone for that matter. I am currently browsing the Blogs to find interesting bits, and there are more than a few there that need vary little work.

There are more than a few Nec topics here but I am qualified to nether edit nor decide what is capable of being an article. Therefore I need someone more qualified. If you would like to help then make yourself known.

This post has been edited by fatherjhon: Feb 7 2008, 12:35 PM

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse