Reply to this topicStart new topic
 What Are Genies?
Uwe
post Jan 4 2007, 03:05 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

Sry, i dont know if this belongs here.

Are Genies like high ranks for some elementals?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Acid09
post Jan 4 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #2

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

Genie, the word itself, comes from the Latin Genius, which was believed to be the equavilant of a guardian angel. Each person supposedly had one assigned to them at birth. The French word génie meant a spirit of any kind. The Arabian Nights talked about the jinni, so the French translated the book as genie because of their similarities.

The general concept of the Jinn is that they are entities above man but lesser than Gods. They have powers greater than man but not like that of the Gods either. Their status being greater than man makes them jealous because man gets more attention from the Gods. Thus they are generally considered malicious towards people, though thats dabatable.

An interesting little tib bit I just read about the Jinn is that in Islam they are made of fire that does not create smoke. They have free will and Satan is considered to be one.

This post has been edited by Acid09: Jan 4 2007, 07:14 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

esoterica
post Jan 18 2007, 09:25 AM
Post #3

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acid09 @ Jan 4 2007, 08:47 PM) *
Genie, the word itself, comes from the Latin Genius, which was believed to be the equavilant of a guardian angel. Each person supposedly had one assigned to them at birth. The French word génie meant a spirit of any kind. The Arabian Nights talked about the jinni, so the French translated the book as genie because of their similarities.

The general concept of the Jinn is that they are entities above man but lesser than Gods. They have powers greater than man but not like that of the Gods either. Their status being greater than man makes them jealous because man gets more attention from the Gods. Thus they are generally considered malicious towards people, though thats dabatable.

An interesting little tib bit I just read about the Jinn is that in Islam they are made of fire that does not create smoke. They have free will and Satan is considered to be one.

if the devil is supposedly a jinn (because of the pact business?), then what is ja with his covenant?

sorry, couldn't help myself, but there comes a time when one must 'whois the finger'

so, then when we die, do we become like the jinns?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

mystick
post Jan 18 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #4

Light of Enki
Group Icon

when Djinns talk about evil spirits, they refer to them as saitan.. As if talking about a whole different race.. Some Djinns are spiritual too as some mention themselves as friends of Allah... and innocent humans are "Allah ké bandé" which mean child of Allah.

So i am not really sure about satan being a Djinn... There might be several classes of Spirits. as analogy, demons are to the east, angels to the west, Djinns in the centre as humans and God in all directions ;-)

--------------------
"The foolish disregard Me, when clad in human semblance, ignorant of My supreme nature, the great Lord of beings"

+Quote Post

Acid09
post Jan 24 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #5

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

if the devil is supposedly a jinn (because of the pact business?), then what is ja with his covenant?

I'm not sure what you mean here. If Djinn is something like an angel then in Islamic terms, Satan would be one of the fallen Djinn, those not friends of Allah.
so, then when we die, do we become like the jinns?

I have no clue. Perhaps, perhaps not. While reading about Djinn I didn't read anything that suggests from a theological perspective what we become when we die.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse