Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Magician Or Priest, HOW TO APPROACH THE NEC ENTITIES
markus
post Sep 11 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

I've been reading the "how to begin..." posts on the Nec's section, and there was a mention about approaching the Entities as a Magician or as a Priest, now for me a Magician is someone that(among other things) evokes an Entity for a determined purpose and that's it, can call this one again or not, can send Him/Her on a determined task, etc. While, for me at least, a Priest is someone who dedicates himself to the adoration?(perhaps) of a deity or group of deities within a specific system or a specific pantheon(so to speak), but -again from my point of view- this is done is an exclusivity basis, this Priest doesn't approaches , or more exactly can not..., nor contacts any other entities without his system and doesn't practices anything else that is beyond or outside the realm of his current practice of Priest of a system.

Then, is the above statement basically true in regard of the Nec practice? I think -and really hope- this topic can help completely beginners as me to have a better understanding of the Nec system, which of course would be an outsider understanding until the moment the actual practice begins, but anyway a guide to know how to approach the system at least at the bginning.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Markus

This post has been edited by markus: Sep 11 2007, 01:55 PM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

gmcbroom
post Sep 12 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

Are you asking if its better to be a priest or magician? If so then that is a choice that each individual has to make. Note-Most not ALL but most of the people who come to the Nec. usually start out as magicians from other systems and work their way into this system. It resonates with many so a good majority usually choose to become Priests or Priestesses of the Deities of Sumer (which are mentioned in the Nec.) now this is not true for all.

If there is one thing I can recommend its this. Read the books. If you feel drawn to it the work with the 50 names of Marduk. If you really get into it then walk the Gates. Then if you feel called by one of the Elder Gods/Ancient ones then see about becoming a Priest/Priestess. But don't make that choice without seriously thinking about it. Plus keep in mind you could always move on if the system doesn't work well or at all with you as you can with any system of magic or faith for that matter. Take me I enjoy the system and respect and honor the Elder Gods. But I'm not ready to be a priest of the Nec. Now if called I will serve. But in the mean time I practice with the 50 names and look at other systems of magic as well.

Sincerely,
gmcbroom

+Quote Post

markus
post Sep 12 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

Hi Gmcbroom, thanks for your reply, you've clarified the issue for me, it is something the person will realize when the moment arrives, if it arrives of course. Just one further question, under this system a Priest can still practice other systems, or must be completlely(and exclusively) devoted to the Nec system?

Markus

+Quote Post

gmcbroom
post Sep 13 2007, 05:42 PM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

That my friend is a damned good question. That is also an intimate question each would have to ask themselves. If I were to dedicate myself to any single Deity or pantheon I'd probably take the purist view and acknowledge that while other magical paths and faiths work out there I'd stick with that Deity or pantheon. Example: If i became a priest of Enki I'd likely use all my rituals through him or the Sumerian Gods/Goddesses but avoid Enochian , Goetia, Chaos magick, and other systems because I devoted myself to Enki. Like I said though that would be me. Notice: I'm a ceremonial magician not a priest. There are priests who frequent this forum. Perhaps one or more may answer your question.

gmcbroom

This post has been edited by gmcbroom: Sep 13 2007, 05:43 PM

+Quote Post

markus
post Sep 14 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

Hi gmcbroom, I see your point clearly, at the end it seems as a matter of commitment, a Priest will only serve or practice one system, whether by choice whether by instructions from the system's Deity(ies), thanks for your insights.

Markus

+Quote Post

gmcbroom
post Sep 15 2007, 07:07 AM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

Your welcome. I wish you well on whichever path you choose. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

markus
post Sep 17 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

Hi, actually I'll begin working with the NEC, I was first attracted by the evocations subject, in general, I have done evocation with mixed results, basically my "strongpoint" is the mental communications and reception/exchange of information, some sort of physical manifestations, but not an actual physical manifestation. Well, I "found" the NEC and I'm feeling the "need" of really get in deep on it, I no longer have any i nterest in doing any other kind of evocation. I'm feeling the "urge" to work the NEC, at this point I'll begin with the NecSpell, afterwards -after thoroughly- studying the NEC I'll do the full invocations. In the last days I've been reading all the posts in the Q&A, Getting Started, in the beginners section etc., and the more I read the more my interest grows... As I think I'll be "jumping in" in the NEC very soon, I have some concerns in regard of some details, if can help(and excuse me for taking from your time) I'll really appreciated your reply.

1. If I use a seal for getting someone heal, can I used that same seal for another health related issue, or the seal should only be used with that person. For me is not clear the remark about not to use the seal for a different purpose, I understand that a seal for a Name that can help in making money can't be used for healt issues(for instance), but if I use a seal to help me in one particular business(as an example) can it be used for help in another business related issue? or only for the same petition can this be used again?

2.On is regarding the tools: I've seen that not all are necessary, what are the minimal requirement on this regard that a beginner would met?

3. Can I burn lawn grass?, fresh or dried?

4. What is lentil, is that the edible grain(of the family of the beans)?

5. In regard of the bread, can this be a slice of bread bought in the supermarker, or is it a special kind of bread?

Well, I really apologize for asking this much, but if can help I'll really appreciate it!

Peace,

Marcus

+Quote Post

warlock asylum
post Sep 25 2007, 09:28 AM
Post #8

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(markus @ Sep 11 2007, 03:51 PM) *
I've been reading the "how to begin..." posts on the Nec's section, and there was a mention about approaching the Entities as a Magician or as a Priest, now for me a Magician is someone that(among other things) evokes an Entity for a determined purpose and that's it, can call this one again or not, can send Him/Her on a determined task, etc. While, for me at least, a Priest is someone who dedicates himself to the adoration?(perhaps) of a deity or group of deities within a specific system or a specific pantheon(so to speak), but -again from my point of view- this is done is an exclusivity basis, this Priest doesn't approaches , or more exactly can not..., nor contacts any other entities without his system and doesn't practices anything else that is beyond or outside the realm of his current practice of Priest of a system.

Then, is the above statement basically true in regard of the Nec practice? I think -and really hope- this topic can help completely beginners as me to have a better understanding of the Nec system, which of course would be an outsider understanding until the moment the actual practice begins, but anyway a guide to know how to approach the system at least at the bginning.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Markus

I would suggest that you re-read the Neconomicon and look how many times it uses the term "invocation" in comparision to "evocation" that should help you answer the question, and knowing that to invoke is vastly different than to evoke, this gives you an answer as to how one should approach the system.

+Quote Post

markus
post Sep 25 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #9

Neophyte
Group Icon

Thanks for your comments, I'm reading again the Nec and as a matter of fact it seems that I overlooked what you mentioned, so I'll pay more attention to the "invocation" and "evocation" issue, thanks again.

Markus

+Quote Post

warlock asylum
post Sep 25 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #10

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(markus @ Sep 25 2007, 02:56 PM) *
Thanks for your comments, I'm reading again the Nec and as a matter of fact it seems that I overlooked what you mentioned, so I'll pay more attention to the "invocation" and "evocation" issue, thanks again.

Markus

Your quite welcome.

This post has been edited by warlock asylum: Sep 25 2007, 05:25 PM

+Quote Post

altpath
post Sep 29 2007, 06:12 PM
Post #11

Zelator
Group Icon

Markus, to answer your questions:

1. You don't need to use lawn grass, but if you have a lawn, then go ahead and use it fresh. I don't have any, so I don't use any with my watcher and I'm just fine.

2. lentils is some kind of wild grass that grows in europe I think, and you can buy that online. Use that instead of the lawn grass of course. I hear it's somewhat like a drug that helps you perceive the presence of the bandar.

3. Regular slices of bread is fine, but as you work with your bandar, you might want to give him something with sugar like a doughnut every once in awhile if you're in the habit of buying them for yourself, might as well get one for bandar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You don't need the pine either, but I am going to be getting essence of pine, or at least pine incense soon. I don't understand why it's in the "recipe", but there must be a reason.

One thing I found very fascinating, and useful, is that when you work with the 50 names and get drained of energy, simply burn bread in the agga mass ssaratu. You don't even need to summon your bandar (useful if you can't have the flour circle formed at all times), just burn the bread on a regular basis, either daily or weekly. As you do that, you make yourself stronger (as bandar is an aspect of your higher self) and your bandar too. Technically you could do that anytime you are feeling tired or sick, and that might even make you feel more hyper. I haven't tested that, but I believe it will work.

--------------------
www.occult-desires.com/english/
Lust/Love, Money, Healing, Divinations - SpellWork with Daemonic Aid

www.occult-desires.com/espanol/
Ahora disponible en Español, con servicios mas baratos para los Mexicanos.

+Quote Post

markus
post Sep 30 2007, 05:35 PM
Post #12

Neophyte
Group Icon

Thanks Altpath for kindly replying my questions:
(By the way, pls be patient with my comments, maybe can look as asking for details that I should have grasped with your explanation, but the fact is that I want to do the things exactly as "per the book", I'm trying not to screw up anything, specially at the beginning!).

1. Yes, I have a lawn, so I can use the grass; just cut it and burn it, by the way: does it matters if the grass is dried or fresh?, I mean I think the grass would smell and burn differently depending on that. I ask because when burning sage, I have to wait until it dries, when recently cut from the tree(fresh and still green) it doesn't burns.

2. In regard of lentils I thought it was the edible plant, of the legume family(pls, check this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentil) So, it seems that is the plant what should be burnt, not the "fruit or seed", right?, maybe I can grow that plant at home, actually I done so years ago when in school, for a a biology experiment.

3. In the bread's case, any fresh bread(not just from the oven) bought in the supermarket, and I think that it is Sliced Bread that is sold in supermarkets the one to use, right?, I ask this detail to make sure which one to use(for instance: could it be a baguette right?, or a hot dog bread?, actually I think is not about either of them, but if can clarify this the better).

4. Can I use Pine, Cedar and/or Sandalwood incense?, I know where those incenses are sold, close to where I live, and are rather cheap,

5. Interesting point in regard of the bandar: The very fact of making use of the agga mass ssaratu makes a link with the Bandar(even though he's not being summoned), very interesting.

By the way, once you summon the Bandar and don't banish him, do you have to remain with him forever?, or it is possible to keep him - lte's say- for two months after summoning without banishing, and then after those two months banish him?

Thanks for your help, and be in Peace!

Markus

+Quote Post

altpath
post Sep 30 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #13

Zelator
Group Icon

You're very welcome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

1. I guess it's up to you to find out which method works for you with the grass. I would burn it fresh, a small amount of it, because by being fresh it would give a stronger link of the living to Bandar. By giving dried grass, symbolically it would be like giving something dead to Bandar, so it would not help him as much. That's just the way I see it.

2. I don't know much about lentils, but no, it's not the kind you eat, lol. In the book it's called olieribos I think. You can buy that online. I can PM you if you want to know where you can buy it.

3. Yeah any kind of bread is fine at first, but over time you will find you might want to give him more than just one slice of bread.

4. I don't know about cedar, but pine and sandalwood are perfect for Bandar, and if you can find them easily at a cheap price, even better.

If you are not sworn to Enki (with blood), you have to banish Bandar each time you evoke him. If you call on Bandar without a circle, he might attack you. The only safe way to evoke him without the circle is if you are sworn to Enki or any of the elder gods in the book (not the ancient ones). Don't go signing your name in blood to Enki right away without knowing you really want it though. Be sure you know what you are doing, and I'm sure Enki will be happy with that.

If you do decide to swear yourself to Enki, then you can go ahead and leave Bandar on earth at all times, but I wouldn't keep him around for a couple months then banish him. What's the point? Don't do it if you are not 100% sure you want Bandar at all times with you(and if you were a priest of one of the elder gods, you need to have him with you to protect you at all times).

You don't have to put all your focus on the watcher at all times, it's not for everyone. So just be sure you know what you want. That being said, you can go a couple months without burning any bread for bandar and he won't be mad. The first time you call on your watcher, just banish him according to the book (taking the sword out with your left hand and reciting the line in the book) and then burn bread in the bowl once a week or once a month if you want. Then burn bread again next time you summon him and that's fine.

oh, I remember now. It's not lentils what you burn, it's nettles. That's one name for olieribos I think, and if you can get it, you don't need to burn the lawn grass.

--------------------
www.occult-desires.com/english/
Lust/Love, Money, Healing, Divinations - SpellWork with Daemonic Aid

www.occult-desires.com/espanol/
Ahora disponible en Español, con servicios mas baratos para los Mexicanos.

+Quote Post

markus
post Sep 30 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #14

Neophyte
Group Icon

I really thank you for taking your time to answer my questions, I really don't have anything else to ask in regard of these topics (of course, have many questions regarding other aspects of the Nec!), you were very thorough and very explanatory.

By the way, it is very important what you mentioned in regard of the blood sworn and in regard of the Bandar, I’m taking very seriously your advice.

Finally, I’ll really appreciate if can PM me the information about where to buy the olieribos(not lentil!!, lol).

Thanks again for your help,

Markus

+Quote Post

Kath
post Oct 14 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #15

Zelator
Group Icon

Personally I consider myself both a priestess and a magi (by your definition) and I'm not sure why you would have to be only one or the other.

Sure in christianity-judaism-islam, you're talking about a monotheism where any interaction or magical power or entities other than the 'one supreme being' is forbidden... but outside of semitic monotheism, why would there be any conflict at all?

I have a 'deity' with whom I am very VERY close. And I interact with a lot of entities. I consider rubbing shoulders with a lot of entities to be an almost unavoidable part of my path with her. I'm not sure I see why there should have to be any conflict in that.

Now if you are asking whether it is my reflex to go to her or to another entity when seeking an agent to perform magick for me?
I'd answer "neither". My reflex is to do the magic myself.
If I do seek help of a 'manpower' sort, then I would seek out an entity for assistance.
If I seek help of a 'insight' sort, then I would seek out 'Her' assistance.
usually anyway. I'm not above learning from other entities. For example, I learned most of what I know about fear energy from a nightmare-being, not my patron. It's not like having a conversation or exploring the multiverse around you is a form of adultery against a deity. my deity openly encourages it. I would tend to think that any deity who didn't, is a bit of a possessive egomaniac.

But then I'm thinking of what I call "True deities" which I differentiate from the 'super-egregore' beings which you find at the top of most religions. Super-egregores are ultimately dependent on their followers, and so might understandably behave much more possessively.

--------------------
‘Εκατερινη
IPB Image
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Audaces fortuna iuvat

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2024 - 02:11 PM