Anubis - anpw, inpew, He who is in his wrappings
Rin
post Mar 25 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #1

Yaoi Fanboy
Group Icon

Anubis/Inpew
by Mirjam

Anubis/Inpew/Yinepu/Anpu, "Lord of the Hallowed Land", meaning the necropolis. Jackal or dog headed god protecting the deceased. Known since Predydnastic times and linked to the name Khenty Amentiu, "Foremost of the Westerners". He was also the protector of embalming and guardian of the mummy and the necropolis. Sem priests used to wear a mask of Anubis during mummification.

After the cult of Osiris had risen to power, Anubis was placed under his rule, Osiris taking over much of Anubis´ role as caretaker and protector. This is when Anubis became the embalmer, ("he who is before the divine booth") and overseer of the funerary proceedings.

In the Hall of Judgement he oversaw the weighing of the heart of the deceased. In myth he is sometimes called the son of Nebt-Het (Nephtys) and Set or of Nephtys and Osiris. The jackal or doglike animal which he also is shown in has so far not been satisfactorily identified.

Main center of worship:

Zawty/Lycopolis/Asyut, 13th N, Upper Egypt

Other places:

Mena´t Khufu/ el Minya, 16th N, Upper Egypt

Hardai, 17th Nome, Upper Egypt

Saqqara 1st N, Lower Egypt.

http://www.realmagick.com/articles/70/370.html

--------------------
IPB Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Rin
post Mar 25 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #2

Yaoi Fanboy
Group Icon

Egyptian Mythology: ANUBIS
Also known as ANPU, IMEUT, IENPW, INPU, LENPW, YINEPU

ANUBIS: Egyptian God of the Dead and Lord of Mummy Wrappings. He's the famous funeral God with the black dog's head. But is he a doberman or a jackal? No-one really knows for sure. ("Down, Anubis down!" No, it must be a jackal.)

He's the primordial son of spooky NEPHTHYS and shining RA, and is far too profound to be the son of Cow Goddess HESA as some sources claim. Death was a serious business to the ancients and ANUBIS ruled over it with grim majesty until OSIRIS took over the job.

Nowadays he takes a back seat in funeral matters, but still likes to be involved in the judging of the dead. He holds the scales of justice steady while your soul is weighed, and if you're light enough he'll lead you to OSIRIS for the top prize of everlasting afterlife.[/b]

http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/egyptia...ity=ANUBIS&ds=N

This post has been edited by Rin Daemoko: Mar 25 2005, 02:15 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

DropAndRiver
post Mar 25 2005, 01:34 PM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

I have yet to work with any of the Gods of the Egyptians (save in CM), but when I do, Anubis will be the first one I will go to. I am glad you have researched your patron, Rin; way too many people just remain ignorant of them and just claim them when someone asks, giving no thought to what they are and stand for.

--------------------
Hello! What can the Universe do for/to you today?

+Quote Post

Rin
post Mar 25 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #4

Yaoi Fanboy
Group Icon

QUOTE(DropAndRiver @ Mar 25 2005, 02:34 PM)
I have yet to work with any of the Gods of the Egyptians (save in CM), but when I do, Anubis will be the first one I will go to. I am glad you have researched your patron, Rin; way too many people just remain ignorant of them and just claim them when someone asks, giving no thought to what they are and stand for.

Father would kick my ass if I didn't. He'd call me all sorts of names like "hypocrit" and "wanna-blessed-be" and such (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by Rin Daemoko: Mar 25 2005, 02:17 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

lunukaos
post Mar 28 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

I've been tossing around the idea of making an Anpu mask for an invocation later in the year. I can't decide on the materials I want to use.

--------------------
http://babalonrising.org A pan-Thelemic Festival

+Quote Post

Rin
post Mar 28 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #6

Yaoi Fanboy
Group Icon

QUOTE(lunukaos @ Mar 28 2005, 02:26 AM)
I've been tossing around the idea of making an Anpu mask for an invocation later in the year. I can't decide on the materials I want to use.

That would be so cool. I would love to have an inpw mask! That would actually work perfectly for what I plan to wear for this coming Samhain. I've seen a few masks online - one of them from a furries fettish website, which wasn't too badly done. It was very furry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/13.gif)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

lunukaos
post Mar 29 2005, 02:41 AM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

I'm thinking of getting a batman mask as the base, actually. It wouldn't be too hard to add a snout to it, and I'd just have to trim off the bat symbol.

--------------------
http://babalonrising.org A pan-Thelemic Festival

+Quote Post

Uni Reflections
post Apr 26 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #8

Zelator
Group Icon

Does this Anbuis have a brother subgod from the ancient past??? I have some dude who "claims" to be possesed by it...

--------------------
Purple Pill level:

Unification Theorium:
http://home.ripway.com/2005-2/265334/UnificationTheorem.doc
Uni-Force:
http://home.ripway.com/2005-2/265334/Uni-Force.doc

But now I am a Lord of the Monestary of Balance, boy have i come far in one year...
http://fraterhabilus.proboards61.com/index.cgi
http://supremeunione.proboards45.com/

The three parts of any magicakl process: Visualization{Imagination} + Intent{Emotion, Willpower, and Desire/Want} + Belief {Self-Trust and Self-Belief}

+Quote Post

bym
post Apr 26 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #9

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Greetings!
Apuat was/is the counterpart to Anpu. (There are many names ascribed to both...)
Anpu is a very good beginning into the sphere of the Neteru, I have yet to find better.
I doubt very much that Apuat has possessed your friend.
Ma'at Kheru,
Bym

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

Uni Reflections
post Apr 26 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #10

Zelator
Group Icon

True... but I think he's abuseing his power... I don't think he possessed by Auput... (Or, as he calls it: Soegen) but HE has possessed, or abused Auput/Soegen's abilities...

That and I don't think it likes me... the dude doesn't either...

--------------------
Purple Pill level:

Unification Theorium:
Uni-Force:

But now I am a Lord of the Monestary of Balance, boy have i come far in one year...

The three parts of any magicakl process: Visualization{Imagination} + Intent{Emotion, Willpower, and Desire/Want} + Belief {Self-Trust and Self-Belief}

+Quote Post

bym
post Apr 26 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #11

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Greetings!
That very interesting thing about working with the Neteru (such as Anpu and Ap-uat) that they will not act irresponsibly and it will become a selfcorrecting problem. Frankly, I've never known either to have anything to do with unbalanced people. period. Your acquaintance is full of something but it isn't a Neter! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/horse.gif)

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.

+Quote Post

Uni Reflections
post Apr 27 2005, 07:35 AM
Post #12

Zelator
Group Icon

Yea... well he's a VERY antisocial cracker whose obsessed with dooming the world... He does, unfortunatly, have experiance in the Dark Magickal realm...

--------------------
Purple Pill level:

Unification Theorium:
Uni-Force:

+Quote Post

GeNoCyDe
post Apr 27 2005, 08:55 AM
Post #13

Neophyte
Group Icon

Anubis:

He is in fact a jackall.

He's a quiet and friendly being.but always serious.

He[and several others of that group,Sekhmet and Set notably]are NOT into being worshipped!

He is a healer of sorts and has a kind but practical heart.

He always gives useful information about thier kind of majick,solid history facts,and is quick to tell you,not everything written about them is true.

He and Set like the dark.

He likes games of skill and strategy,but deplores violence.

The best time to contact him,Set,or Sekhmet is when it is dawn in Egypt,place your intent at the top of the great pyramid.speak deliberately and with respect,none of them have any likeing for gibberish. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/egypt1.gif)

This post has been edited by GeNoCyDe: Apr 27 2005, 08:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

bym
post Apr 27 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #14

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

greetings!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ac42.gif)

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.

+Quote Post

Seiko
post Apr 28 2005, 10:57 AM
Post #15

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(GeNoCyDe @ Apr 27 2005, 09:55 AM)
Anubis:

He is in fact a jackall.

He's a quiet and friendly being.but always serious.

He[and several others of that group,Sekhmet and Set notably]are NOT into being worshipped!

He is a healer of sorts and has a kind but practical heart.

He always gives useful information about thier kind of majick,solid history facts,and is quick to tell you,not everything written about them is true.

He and Set like the dark.

He likes games of skill and strategy,but deplores violence.

The best time to contact him,Set,or Sekhmet is when it is dawn in Egypt,place your intent at the top of the great pyramid.speak deliberately and with respect,none of them have any likeing for gibberish. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/egypt1.gif)

Some interesting things of note there, GeNoCyDe and Bym!

Anpu fascinates me, and from what I've read in the experiences of others, would be a most valuable friend, if you will. I've a small, hand-made, black-clay statuette (the typical jackal seated upon the sarcophagus) of him situated on my windowsill. It has a small space inside to hold trinkets, but I plan on cleaning it out shortly.

I've yet to attempt any work with Anpu, for various reasons. The only "preassembled" ritual I have is fiat_lux_777/Todd's "Invocation of Anubis", which is based off Liber Israfel/YHVH formula--and as I've made it a motto of starting with evocation before invocation, I suppose I would either need to make my own changes or construct my own ritual.

Either way, it'd be for the best. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm curious to hear what other knowledge and experience forum-goers have of Anpu, first-hand or otherwise.

Also--GeNoCyDe: You mention Set in your trio of Neter. I take it you've worked with him as well? If it is not too much a trouble, I'd love to hear anything more you're willing to share on this or the topic at hand. PM will be fine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Thanks.

Shalom.
-Seiko

--------------------
Forever.
user posted image

+Quote Post

GeNoCyDe
post Apr 28 2005, 07:56 PM
Post #16

Neophyte
Group Icon

As I said,the best time to contact any of the three is when dawn breaks in Egypt,they have a tradition of meeting the day and watching "Cairo get dirtier"as Set puts it.Set is a pretty all right guy once he knows you,he's a bit broody sometimes but he likes intelligent conversation,far from being the bumbleing chaotic horus' followers painted him as,he's a noble and intelligent warrior.dropping my name might get you in quicker,it might not.[Genocyde is fine}If you astral travel you stand a good chance too,none of the three like being summoned,and they DESPISE being worshipped!if you make contact,ask for the new teaching they want brought to the world. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/egypt1.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Seiko
post Apr 28 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #17

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(GeNoCyDe @ Apr 28 2005, 08:56 PM)
As I said,the best time to contact any of the three is when dawn breaks in Egypt,they have a tradition of meeting the day and watching "Cairo get dirtier"as Set puts it.Set is a pretty all right guy once he knows you,he's a bit broody sometimes but he likes intelligent conversation,far from being the bumbleing chaotic horus' followers painted him as,he's a noble and intelligent warrior.dropping my name might get you in quicker,it might not.[Genocyde is fine}If you astral travel you stand a good chance too,none of the three like being summoned,and they DESPISE being worshipped!if you make contact,ask for the new teaching they want brought to the world. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/egypt1.gif)

Thank you, GeNoCyDe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'll be sure to keep all of this in mind.
Particularly the part of -my- finding -them- (AP). I just hope I've not offended anyone in my disjointed bumbling already. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Thanks again.
Shalom.
-Seiko

--------------------
Forever.
user posted image

+Quote Post

GeNoCyDe
post May 2 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #18

Neophyte
Group Icon

Doubtful.but Anubis has been quite talkitive of late.

Nothing like wakeing up to a smileing jackyll,but this one tells me good things.ask him about healing and the preperations for the afterlife,he won't hush.

He loves the company of those with a healing nature,if he sees you have one,be prepared to take notes,the great one can take you places you never dreamed,or ever want to leave.be sure of yourself if and when you follow his servants across the bridge.

Lest you find yourself in his company a bit longer than planned.lovely place,but if you're not finished here........not desireable.

One day I plan to join him in his green light,but not for a while.

Bottom line,be sure of yourself and your current path.his ways are oh so entranceing.and the place of his dwelling is permeanant.those who travel it do not return.who'd want to?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Seiko
post May 3 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #19

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(GeNoCyDe)

Nothing like wakeing up to a smileing jackyll,but this one tells me good things.ask him about healing and the preperations for the afterlife,he won't hush.

I'd imagine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
"Talkative"? Concerning the aforementioned subjects, or something else?

QUOTE(GeNoCyDe)
He loves the company of those with a healing nature,if he sees you have one,be prepared to take notes,the great one can take you places you never dreamed,or ever want to leave.be sure of yourself if and when you follow his servants across the bridge.

I couldn't begin to say if I am of some 'healing nature' myself, though the subject was a pivotal interest for me at one point. Great excuse to take the study of healing arts back up, no?
Again, continued thanks for sharing your knowledge, GeNoCyDe

QUOTE(GeNoCyDe)
Lest you find yourself in his company a bit longer than planned.lovely place,but if you're not finished here........not desireable.

Bottom line,be sure of yourself and your current path.his ways are oh so entranceing.and the place of his dwelling is permeanant.those who travel it do not return.who'd want to?

Interesting words... Noted.

Shalom. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
-Seiko

--------------------
Forever.
user posted image

+Quote Post

GeNoCyDe
post May 3 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #20

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Seiko @ May 3 2005, 05:17 PM)
QUOTE(GeNoCyDe)

I'd imagine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
"Talkative"? Concerning the aforementioned subjects, or something else?

QUOTE(GeNoCyDe)

I couldn't begin to say if I am of some 'healing nature' myself, though the subject was a pivotal interest for me at one point. Great excuse to take the study of healing arts back up, no?
Again, continued thanks for sharing your knowledge, GeNoCyDe

QUOTE(GeNoCyDe)

Interesting words... Noted.

Shalom. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
-Seiko

Abubis likes to talk about the human race of late,they and those who remained here have noticed the unusual violence and development of nuclear weapons by immature nations.it's got them worried,they've seen what such things lead to and it ain't pretty.

If you can contact him or them,I'm sure they'll be glad to tell you many things about many things.

They've been kind of bored these past years.

This post has been edited by GeNoCyDe: May 3 2005, 10:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

fiat_lux_777
post Jun 16 2005, 06:15 AM
Post #21

Neophyte
Group Icon

Here is a friend's site that may be of interest to some -

http://www.angelfire.com/rant/anpu/anpushrine/shrine.html

93 93/93

Todd

+Quote Post

TheFates
post Jun 17 2005, 09:38 AM
Post #22

Neophyte
Group Icon

Every heard of karma he put it on his scales.He confronts it.Invoke him before any Kiffilpot.[he fits with the dark style as well]

+Quote Post

Rin
post Jun 20 2005, 07:22 AM
Post #23

Yaoi Fanboy
Group Icon

QUOTE(fiat_lux_777 @ Jun 16 2005, 07:15 AM)

Here is a friend's site that may be of interest to some -

http://www.angelfire.com/rant/anpu/anpushrine/shrine.html

93 93/93

Todd

Very nice! Thank you.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

DocHolliday
post Jun 29 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #24

Neophyte
Group Icon

Hotep! Henu!

I would be another "Yinepup," if it weren't for the fact that I've the other face, namely Wepwawet.

Yinepu may not be one for violence or direct confrontation, but flip the coin and you're going to find an extremely martial bent, as Wepwawet not only opens the way to Amentet, but also to victory in battle. IIRC, the royal placenta (an icon of Wepwawet) was used by the first of the Pharoahs (along with Setekh and the falcon of Heru).

I'm not so sure about all this talk regarding Yinepu-Wepwawet as a healer. That seems to be more the task of Sekhmet-Hethert and Serqet.

Eh, on a personal level, the flow of sekhem below the Abyss starts with Montu and Sekhmet, get's directed by Wepwawet, and is given physical life by Setekh, so it's entirely possible that I'm just completely skewed in one direction (IMG:style_emoticons/default/egypt1.gif)

--------------------
www.livejournal.com/users/tenebrozo

+Quote Post

bym
post Jun 29 2005, 05:01 PM
Post #25

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Greetings!
I'm not sure where the analogies began with healing and Yinepu but I suspect that they evolved from the Greeks. Embalming led to anaesthetics led to healing. Later, after the Renaissance, there was so much confusion about the Egyptian religous thought/process between bored European gentry and what was reality that some things got very blurry around the edges. Like the idea that Setekh was the personification of evil... Now please correct me if I'm wrong but don't BOTH Yinepu and Wepwawet have the title 'Opener of the Ways'? Even with Budge firmly in hand whilst sitting on a stack of papyrus it still is a confusing mess. The Greek says one thing and the old stele's say another.
On a side note, though related, are there any particular sources of information that you'd care to point out...besides the Western Lodge tradition...that would give the learner a good start (alright, for me)? I've studied Khemetic Heka for quite a few years and I'm always (pleasantly) pleased to find yet more sources to cozy up to. A while back I was very happy to make some new friends in Australia and New Zealand that are on similar paths. We are always looking for new material. Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by bym: Jun 29 2005, 05:17 PM

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.

+Quote Post

DocHolliday
post Jun 29 2005, 09:08 PM
Post #26

Neophyte
Group Icon

Yinepu = royal child [sic]

Wepwawet = opener of ways

Those, at least, are the most literal understanings of each netjer's name. As far as their functions go, both were considered to be psychopomp and Khenti-Amentet. I believe that Wepwawet was the older facet (taking the approach of the two being, in reality, one deity), dating back to Aha/Narmer/Scorpion.

One problem with accurately pinning down the netjeru is that fuctions and titles fluctuated over time, as gods grew into and out of prominince, politics changed, and netjeru were fused together and separated apart.

--------------------
www.livejournal.com/users/tenebrozo

+Quote Post

Sekhem Akasha
post Dec 26 2005, 06:03 AM
Post #27

Initiate
Group Icon

Anpu is a very kind God, if you feel sad He want to make you
laugh. And He learns me a lott about astral traveling.

This post has been edited by Sekhem Akasha: Dec 26 2005, 06:04 AM

+Quote Post

esoterica
post Dec 26 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #28

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

QUOTE(GeNoCyDe @ Apr 27 2005, 09:55 AM)
-snipp-ed thusly

The best time to contact him,Set,or Sekhmet is when it is dawn in Egypt,place your intent at the top of the great pyramid.speak deliberately and with respect,none of them have any likeing for gibberish.

-snip

I love the 'morning hymn' and have tried unsuccesfully several times to include it in certain rituals. The 'evening hymn' worked out much better. Many thanks to Andre Norton (rest well in the summerland dear lady!) for opening my eyes to it so many years ago in the book "Shadow Hawk".

bare as you came into the world (at least barefoot)

strip yourself of all jewelry, etc.

face the setting sun

visualize the sun as Re in his curtained boat (standing at the stern, proud and virile, the oarsmen groaning under the lash, awaiting nighttime and being released from work for drinks at the local bar)

perform the warrior's salute (bow from the waist, palms parallel to the ground at knee level), eyes straight into the face of Re (no flinching or you're hiding something!)

speak the hymn aloud:

"I give praise when I see they Beauty, I hymn Re when He sets."

straighten up, but keep eye contact with Re

"Who hearest him that Prays."

"Who hearest the entreaties of him who calls upon Thee."

"Who comest at the voice of him who utters Thy Name."

(wait a moment for any messages)

salute again

"I give praise when I see they Beauty, I hymn Re when He sets."

still saluting, bow the head in thanks, breakimg the eye contact and signaling the end of the ceremony

note: I had a friend who was afraid of looking directly into the sun ('it will make you go blind') - then what was she doing worshipping a solar God who wouldn't protect her eyes? who knows! if you need a disclaimer here about looking at the sun directly then look within yourself for one, not to me.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

bym
post Dec 27 2005, 08:21 AM
Post #29

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Greetings!
This is a side note/comment to the previous post and is OFF TOPIC!
note: I had a friend who was afraid of looking directly into the sun ('it will make you go blind') - then what was she doing worshipping a solar God who wouldn't protect her eyes? who knows! if you need a disclaimer here about looking at the sun directly then look within yourself for one, not to me.

Please do not look directly into the sun without eye protection specifically made for this! You can damage your eyes permanently! No matter what level of spiritual attainment you have reached, NONE, I repeat, NONE may do this without the proper protection! We here at Sacred-Magick Forums will take no responsibility for anyone receiving damage if they attempt to look at the sun, with or without adequate protection! Thank you for your time! -Mod Squad

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.

+Quote Post

moonlit
post Mar 16 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #30

Neophyte
Group Icon

I happen to LOVE Anubis. i dont know what it is about him but I'm extreemly interested in him. I found this site, it gives a lot of information on him I found it to be very helpful. Check it out if you like!
http://www.geocities.com/sphinxmuse/wicca/wanpu.html

--------------------
"I'm not afraid of the dark,
I am afraid of what is IN the dark."

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
2 Pages 1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse