Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Witches Cottage And Mummified Cat Unearthed In Britain
☞Tomber☜
post Dec 8 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

I usually check out the sci-tech section of foxnews. Ha I guess it's just a misc section to them anymore because I found this headline today: Centuries-Old Witches' Cottage and Mummified Cat Unearthed in Britain

I think this is pretty interesting.

PENDLE, England – A cottage believed to be linked to a famous group of 17th-century English witches and a mummified cat were unearthed by workmen in Lancashire, northern England.

The site, described by one archaeologist as "Lancashire's Pompeii," was discovered during a construction project, Sky News reported.

Water engineers found the 17th-century cottage during excavations in Pendle, and experts think it could be connected to the famous Pendle Witches, a group of 16 women tried for witchcraft in 1612.

It is thought the mummified cat -- found sealed into one of the walls -- may have been entombed in the wall while still alive, as paranormal protection.

"Cats feature prominently in folklore about witches. Whoever consigned this cat to such a horrible fate was clearly seeking protection from evil spirits," Pendle Witches expert Simon Entwistle said. "We're just a few months away from the 400th anniversary of the Pendle Witch trials, and here we have an incredibly rare find, which could well be the famous Malkin Tower."

Malkin Tower was said to be the site of a notorious meeting between the witches on Good Friday in 1612.
Frank Giecco, who led the team that unearthed the cottage, said, "It's like discovering your own little Pompeii. We rarely get the opportunity to work with something so well preserved. As soon as we started digging, we found the tops of doors and knew we were onto something special."

The cottage is said to be in remarkable condition and contained many 19th-century artifacts such as crockery, a cooking range and a bedstead. The construction project was put on hold while archaeologists investigate the site.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/12/08/.../#ixzz1fyA1v8AA

FoxNews Witch Link

This post has been edited by ☞Tomber☜: Dec 8 2011, 12:33 PM

--------------------
QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jan 30 2013, 02:19 AM) *
Expect nothing, or you will get caught up in the future and not pay attention to the present. Just do the practice diligently, do it because you enjoy it, do it because you believe in it. Don't wait for results, don't wait for it to happen.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Mephilis
post May 5 2014, 03:28 AM
Post #2

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(☞Tomber☜ @ Dec 8 2011, 01:32 PM) *

I usually check out the sci-tech section of foxnews. Ha I guess it's just a misc section to them anymore because I found this headline today: Centuries-Old Witches' Cottage and Mummified Cat Unearthed in Britain

I think this is pretty interesting.
FoxNews Witch Link

they may not have protected themselves, but clearly the cottage was protected

--------------------
Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.
Albus Dumbledore

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse