Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Texts?, Loking for reading material on Santeria
gmcbroom
post Sep 8 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

I'm curious about Santeria and Voudou. Are there any really good texts on the subjects?
gmcbroom

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

J*S
post Sep 9 2007, 04:05 AM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(gmcbroom @ Sep 9 2007, 01:22 AM) *
I'm curious about Santeria and Voudou. Are there any really good texts on the subjects?
gmcbroom

Pick up a copy of "Divine Horsemen". That is good as far as the voodoo is concerned. For Santeria a good one is "Santeria: The Religion"...largely because it is pretty much the only one available on these shores. If you are in the US then I should imagine there are many more titles on both topics that someone could steer you towards.

--------------------
"If thou thyself hast not a sure foundation, whereon wilt thou stand to direct the forces of Nature?" Liber Librae, AC

+Quote Post

Dancing Coyote
post Jan 19 2009, 02:22 AM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(gmcbroom @ Sep 8 2007, 07:22 PM) *

gmcbroom

Drum and Candle by David St. Clair, Urban Voodoo by Christopher S. Hyatt and S. Jason Black, The Serpent and the Rainbow by Wade Davis,.

--------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced form of magick will appear indistinguishable from science"

+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Mar 15 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #4

Unregistered

The Rainbow and the Serpent is absolutely interesting, but to be honest, it feels like an nineteenth century anthropologist talking about "those fascinating savages."

My personal background is from Taiwan, more or less a nation that landed the a same historical pattern like Haiti (with the exception that it was the Spanish, the Dutch, then the Japanese). I consider Voudoun to be a 'higher' form of 'nature worship' or 'folk magick.' I have no terms that I can use to express how I feel about it except for the fact its 'matured' folk magick.

In saying this 90 percent of it is folktales and tradition. You have to have grown up in the tradition to actually interact with their entities fully, et cetera. Most of the earth spirits whenever I go back to Taiwan seem to be slightly more open to me, as opposed to the ones on American Soil, or even my times in other places.

But, after saying this: All of those books are now on my reading list.

+Quote Post

Dancing Coyote
post Mar 16 2010, 01:16 AM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(kaboom13 @ Mar 15 2010, 06:36 PM) *

The Rainbow and the Serpent is absolutely interesting, but to be honest, it feels like an nineteenth century anthropologist talking about "those fascinating savages."

My personal background is from Taiwan, more or less a nation that landed the a same historical pattern like Haiti (with the exception that it was the Spanish, the Dutch, then the Japanese). I consider Voudoun to be a 'higher' form of 'nature worship' or 'folk magick.' I have no terms that I can use to express how I feel about it except for the fact its 'matured' folk magick.

In saying this 90 percent of it is folktales and tradition. You have to have grown up in the tradition to actually interact with their entities fully, et cetera. Most of the earth spirits whenever I go back to Taiwan seem to be slightly more open to me, as opposed to the ones on American Soil, or even my times in other places.

But, after saying this: All of those books are now on my reading list.

Well quite frankly Wade Davis became apart of the voodoun culture as a whole and almost went the path of a full fledged voodoun sorcerer according to his book, anthropologists aren't about saying 'those savages' they're trying to show the world the exact opposite.

--------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced form of magick will appear indistinguishable from science"

+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Mar 16 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #6

Unregistered

QUOTE(Dancing Coyote @ Mar 16 2010, 03:16 AM) *

Well quite frankly Wade Davis became apart of the voodoun culture as a whole and almost went the path of a full fledged voodoun sorcerer according to his book, anthropologists aren't about saying 'those savages' they're trying to show the world the exact opposite.

I didn't quite follow your wording at the end~ anthropologists are trying to show the world the exact opposite of how the subject of their study saw it? I don't quite pick up the nuances of what you're saying well~ sorry.

+Quote Post

Roj
post May 16 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #7

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(kaboom13 @ Mar 16 2010, 09:22 AM) *

I didn't quite follow your wording at the end~ anthropologists are trying to show the world the exact opposite of how the subject of their study saw it? I don't quite pick up the nuances of what you're saying well~ sorry.

I believe what Coyote is trying to say is anthropologists try to show the rest of us what these indigenous cultures are really like.

--------------------
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse