Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Need Advice On Writing Necro Rituals,spells,etc
Xenos
post Jul 15 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

I am purchasing another copy of the Simon Necronomicon soon,and I need info on writing rituals and spells to be used "strictly" within the Necronomicons religious and magickal system for :

1) The worship of the various Elder Gods or the various Ancient ones.

2)My own spells for various needs/purposes and desires: protection,love,lust,money,health,revenge.

3) Making Necronomicon based talismans and amulets

4)Creating and working with my own egregores for various purposes.

5)Developing. solitary as well as coven based Necronomicon initiation rites.

6) seeing as some freinds and I want to form a Necronomicon based Coven,I would also like information/advice of how to develop group rituals.

Thank you
Xanos

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Jul 15 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #2

Practicus
Group Icon

QUOTE(Xenos @ Jul 15 2012, 02:05 PM) *

I am purchasing another copy of the Simon Necronomicon soon,and I need info on writing rituals and spells to be used "strictly" within the Necronomicons religious and magickal system for :
1) The worship of the various Elder Gods or the various Ancient ones.

2)My own spells for various needs/purposes and desires: protection,love,lust,money,health,revenge.

3) Making Necronomicon based talismans and amulets

4)Creating and working with my own egregores for various purposes.

5)Developing. solitary as well as coven based Necronomicon initiation rites.

6) seeing as some freinds and I want to form a Necronomicon based Coven,I would also like information/advice of how to develop group rituals.
Thank you
Xanos

There is plenty of internal symbolism used within the book itself without necessarily having to explore sumerian/babylonian/assyrian mythology, but it is definitely worth looking into it.

Take for example invocations to the planets - the orphic hymns are an excellent resource, they offer poetic names for the spheres which capture their qualities in ways that are meaningful in words. Obviously you wouldn't use the orphic hymns in a strictly necronomicon based system...

To really formulate any good advice, though, you'd first have to grasp the basic principles of all of these elements - how to make talismans and amulets generally, how to construct group rituals, how to connect mythological symbolism to a rite, etc. The questions you seem to have speak to the most basic elements of magical practice. Are you familiar with ritual magic in general? It would be helpful to know how much you already know.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Xenos
post Jul 15 2012, 04:41 PM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jul 15 2012, 05:28 PM) *

There is plenty of internal symbolism used within the book itself without necessarily having to explore sumerian/babylonian/assyrian mythology, but it is definitely worth looking into it.

Take for example invocations to the planets - the orphic hymns are an excellent resource, they offer poetic names for the spheres which capture their qualities in ways that are meaningful in words. Obviously you wouldn't use the orphic hymns in a strictly necronomicon based system...

To really formulate any good advice, though, you'd first have to grasp the basic principles of all of these elements - how to make talismans and amulets generally, how to construct group rituals, how to connect mythological symbolism to a rite, etc. The questions you seem to have speak to the most basic elements of magical practice. Are you familiar with ritual magic in general? It would be helpful to know how much you already know.

peace

When i was younger (39 now) i studied both traditional Wicca as written about by Raymond Buckland,etc etc and then later on Nocturnal /darkWicca as wrote about by Konstantinos(both the religious amd magickal side),and still have all of my books purchased when i was studying/practicing wicca.

This post has been edited by Xenos: Jul 15 2012, 04:42 PM

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Jul 16 2012, 02:01 PM
Post #4

Practicus
Group Icon

QUOTE(Xenos @ Jul 15 2012, 06:41 PM) *

When i was younger (39 now) i studied both traditional Wicca as written about by Raymond Buckland,etc etc and then later on Nocturnal /darkWicca as wrote about by Konstantinos(both the religious amd magickal side),and still have all of my books purchased when i was studying/practicing wicca.

Within that kernel of academic knowledge you probably have enough guidelines to begin understanding the nature of ritual.

There are things to consider that exist in virtually every ritual framework. First, every aspect of a ritual should be meaningful. This can be simple, however, or complex. You can draw correspondences to literally every aspect of a ritual solo or group, so that every piece of attire worn is meaningful to the purpose; the number of steps taken around a circle relate to the work; the tools handled or present have symbolic meaning. In creating a ritual, think in terms of telling a story using a given set of vocabulary words; all the accouterments are the words and you must place them and string them together in such a way that you are constructing sentences after a fashion - conceptual sentences.

However simple or complex your ritual is, there are basic stages. A definition of space, which could be inherent in the space itself, a cleansing/allying with that space, an invocation to a power (higher, lower, inner, outer, etc.), a presentation of communion of some fashion (from simple, like pouring milk into the ground as an offering to complex, boiling a cauldron and doing a dance, etc), and a call to action of the forces so gathered and petitioned. Then usually some kind of gratitude and closing segment.

Talismans and Amulets are terms that are sometime interchangeable, but personally I use them in context to how they work - talismans make things happen, and can be kept in symbolic places, whereas amulets prevent things and generally should be worn. However, that's partly my own system of use and definition, so take it for what it is worth. The talisman is also a kind of story - it has a background (the material it is made of, symbolic of the realm within which the included forces are expected to operate), characters (the various figures marked onto it in whatever way), plot (the symbolic arrangement of those characters) and outcome (usually a combination of the above in terms of a general outcome, "Because these things are brought together in this way in this place, this will happen" - however, this can be more specific even down to inscribing the intended outcome onto the talisman itself.) I don't know what conditions for making these objects might be specific to the Necronomicon, but I'd imagine it has to do with the planets. They wax and wane like the moon does, though it is normally the relative position of Earth that determines how much directly reflected light we are getting from it. The sun is the exception, obviously, save for the solar eclipse.

Group rituals follow the same basic ideas - each person simply tells their part of the story as a whole. It may be worthwhile to look into storytelling in tribal culture. Ritual is basically a kind of theatre, and for the kind of ritual related to the Necronomicon, you're looking at a more tribal kind of theatre. Masks and body painting should probably be involved, even though the book itself is written for a modern western audience - look into sumerian/babylonian/assyrian cultural relics and mythology and the picture you will get is very different than what is presented in the book. This is because those elements of ancient just-barely-post-tribal civilization were not as accessible when the book was published.

Peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Xenos
post Jul 16 2012, 03:58 PM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jul 16 2012, 03:01 PM) *

Within that kernel of academic knowledge you probably have enough guidelines to begin understanding the nature of ritual.

There are things to consider that exist in virtually every ritual framework. First, every aspect of a ritual should be meaningful. This can be simple, however, or complex. You can draw correspondences to literally every aspect of a ritual solo or group, so that every piece of attire worn is meaningful to the purpose; the number of steps taken around a circle relate to the work; the tools handled or present have symbolic meaning. In creating a ritual, think in terms of telling a story using a given set of vocabulary words; all the accouterments are the words and you must place them and string them together in such a way that you are constructing sentences after a fashion - conceptual sentences.

However simple or complex your ritual is, there are basic stages. A definition of space, which could be inherent in the space itself, a cleansing/allying with that space, an invocation to a power (higher, lower, inner, outer, etc.), a presentation of communion of some fashion (from simple, like pouring milk into the ground as an offering to complex, boiling a cauldron and doing a dance, etc), and a call to action of the forces so gathered and petitioned. Then usually some kind of gratitude and closing segment.

Talismans and Amulets are terms that are sometime interchangeable, but personally I use them in context to how they work - talismans make things happen, and can be kept in symbolic places, whereas amulets prevent things and generally should be worn. However, that's partly my own system of use and definition, so take it for what it is worth. The talisman is also a kind of story - it has a background (the material it is made of, symbolic of the realm within which the included forces are expected to operate), characters (the various figures marked onto it in whatever way), plot (the symbolic arrangement of those characters) and outcome (usually a combination of the above in terms of a general outcome, "Because these things are brought together in this way in this place, this will happen" - however, this can be more specific even down to inscribing the intended outcome onto the talisman itself.) I don't know what conditions for making these objects might be specific to the Necronomicon, but I'd imagine it has to do with the planets. They wax and wane like the moon does, though it is normally the relative position of Earth that determines how much directly reflected light we are getting from it. The sun is the exception, obviously, save for the solar eclipse.

Group rituals follow the same basic ideas - each person simply tells their part of the story as a whole. It may be worthwhile to look into storytelling in tribal culture. Ritual is basically a kind of theatre, and for the kind of ritual related to the Necronomicon, you're looking at a more tribal kind of theatre. Masks and body painting should probably be involved, even though the book itself is written for a modern western audience - look into sumerian/babylonian/assyrian cultural relics and mythology and the picture you will get is very different than what is presented in the book. This is because those elements of ancient just-barely-post-tribal civilization were not as accessible when the book was published.

Peace

Definately given me much food for thought (IMG:style_emoticons/default/zomby.gif)

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2024 - 02:20 PM