Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Magickal Grimoires, Gotta catch 'em all!
monkman418
post Jan 6 2011, 01:42 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Hello!

I'm looking for a COMPLETE list of all the known books that would be considered to be "Grimoires."

The many so-called Keys of Solomon (greater and lesser) present a particular difficulty because there are so many "subsections"...anyone have a complete list of them? Bonus points if you can rattle them off without having to look it up!

Here's what else I got:

The Grimoire Pope Honorius III
The Grimoire of Arbatel
Abramelin the Mage
Ars Notoria (supposedly another text of Solomon)
The 6th and 7th books of Moses
Three Books of Occult Philosophy by Agrippa
Fourth Book of Occult Philosophy (supposedly by Agrippa)
The Grand Grimoire
Grimoirium Verum
John Dee's Enochian writings (again, a complete list would be helpful).

Let me know what else I'm missing here! Thank you!

This post has been edited by monkman418: Jan 6 2011, 01:42 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

ComaOfLoss
post Jan 6 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

The Black Pullet
The Keys to the Gateway of Magic (transl. Skinner & Rankine)
Archidoxes of Magic by Paracelsus
Suomen Kansan Loitsurunoja by Lönnrot (finnish folk magic spells, never translated to english afaik).

This post has been edited by ComaOfLoss: Jan 6 2011, 04:21 PM

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Jan 6 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

Thanks for those titles ComaofLoss!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the "Lesser" Key of Solomon, or the Lemegeton, only has 5 parts:
Goetia, Theurgia Goetia, Pauline Art, Ars Almadel, and Ars Notoria

Anyone have the books of the Greater Key? (would the complete Greater Key be in the "Veritable Key of Solomon" by Skinner et al.?)

This post has been edited by monkman418: Jan 6 2011, 04:55 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Jan 7 2011, 02:17 AM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

Just in case you haven't looked here. And here. Also here.

Grimoire magic is my absolute favorite type, so if you learn anything neat, please tell me. If you have any experience working with them, or any plans to, shoot me a PM or make a thread - I'd like to hear!

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Jan 7 2011, 09:28 PM
Post #5

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vilhjalmr @ Jan 7 2011, 03:17 AM) *

Just in case you haven't looked here. And here. Also here.

Grimoire magic is my absolute favorite type, so if you learn anything neat, please tell me. If you have any experience working with them, or any plans to, shoot me a PM or make a thread - I'd like to hear!

Well that those are the most famous, but depending on what you mean I have more than 40 grimoires in my library, many from the SM library. I do take the term Grimoire a bit more liberally than others, and include any book of magick that works with spirits, ancient or modern. I have a Shinto, Tibetan, native American, and many many European Grimoires- many written in the last 50 years. If you take only manuscripts that are older than a particular age then that limits the number drastically. The Black Pullet for example first appeared in the 1800s. Include the books of spells and we can really have fun.

Coma, I's love to know more about this Suomen Kansan Loitsurunoja though. Most of the old traditions from the northern Europeans are hard to come by.

This post has been edited by fatherjhon: Jan 7 2011, 09:31 PM

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

ComaOfLoss
post Jan 8 2011, 02:59 AM
Post #6

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Jan 8 2011, 05:28 AM) *

Coma, I's love to know more about this Suomen Kansan Loitsurunoja though. Most of the old traditions from the northern Europeans are hard to come by.

It was first published in 1880, compiled by Elias Lönnrot, the same man who compiled Kalevala (the national epic of Finland). It's around 340 A4 pages and consists of old folk magic spells (or poems would be a more correct word) ranging from getting rid of syphilis to getting your dog to be silent at night. Pretty much anything you can imagine has a spell for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

You can get it here:
http://www.salakirjat.net/PublishedService

This post has been edited by ComaOfLoss: Jan 8 2011, 03:02 AM

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Jan 8 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #7

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(ComaOfLoss @ Jan 8 2011, 03:59 AM) *

It was first published in 1880, compiled by Elias Lönnrot, the same man who compiled Kalevala (the national epic of Finland). It's around 340 A4 pages and consists of old folk magic spells (or poems would be a more correct word) ranging from getting rid of syphilis to getting your dog to be silent at night. Pretty much anything you can imagine has a spell for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

You can get it here:
http://www.salakirjat.net/PublishedService

If I could read it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

ComaOfLoss
post Jan 8 2011, 02:58 PM
Post #8

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Jan 8 2011, 09:59 PM) *

If I could read it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That is true. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) But you could email them if they know of any translations.

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Jan 9 2011, 08:36 AM
Post #9

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Jan 6 2011, 02:42 PM) *

I'm looking for a COMPLETE list of all the known books that would be considered to be "Grimoires."
Let me know what else I'm missing here! Thank you!

Here are the books I own, know exist, or have heard that people use in magick- and are in English. About half of this list comes from Owen Davies, Grimoires: A History of Magic Books, a very good read, and useful reference work / shopping list. Some of these you can get on the site library.

Frater Alastor - THE MAGIC OF ARMADE
Dr. Johannes Faust- Magical art or miracle book
Kieckhefer - Forbidden Rites: A Necromancer's Manual
Don Karr - Sefer Raziel (Liber Salamonis)
The Book Of Paramazda
Liber Lillith
Heptameron of Agrippa
The Grimoire of the Sixfold Star
Crowley & Stratton-Kent - Liber Pyramidos
Black Dragon
Galdrabok an Icelandic Grimoire
Books of Agrippa
The Goetia of Dr Rudd
Al Toukhi - Red Magick: Grimoire of Djinn Spell
Masuch - Tenth, Eleventh, and Twelfth Books of Moses
Masuch - Eighth and Ninth Books of Moses
Book Of The Sacred Magic Of Abramelin the mage.
The Red Dragon
Hockley - Occult Spells; A 19th Century Grimoire
Sepher Reziel Hemelech: Book of the Angel Reziel
Pseudomonarchia Daemonum
Liber Juratis
The Grimoire of Cyprian (better called “one of” as the man has more than a few attributed to him.)
Liber Falxifer
Herpentilis Schwarze Book
The Sworn Book of Honorius
The Grimoire of Pope Honorius III
The Enchiridion of Pope Leo III
The Clavicule of Solomon,
Petit Albert
Grand Albert
The Magus
And the works of HermesThoth.

Not in English, not used, or rumored to exist is a list that grows by the day but here are a few extras to look over. The many works of Al-Majriti in Arabic, the Turkish, and Prussian books of magick, the many hundreds of latian texts and manuxcripts amoung the ones known to magick of one form or another The Munich Manual Clm 849, Voynich Manuscript, and Sloane Ms. 3854.

This post has been edited by fatherjhon: Jan 9 2011, 08:38 AM

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Mchawi
post Aug 14 2013, 04:49 PM
Post #10

Zelator
Group Icon

Hmmmm.... am looking for a text that deals with Egyptian deities specifically, anyone know of one?

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Aug 17 2013, 09:40 AM
Post #11

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mchawi @ Aug 14 2013, 06:49 PM) *

Hmmmm.... am looking for a text that deals with Egyptian deities specifically, anyone know of one?

Do you mean from the Egyptian religion or any book that uses Egyptian deities?

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Mchawi
post Aug 17 2013, 09:48 AM
Post #12

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Aug 17 2013, 10:40 AM) *

Do you mean from the Egyptian religion or any book that uses Egyptian deities?

Anything would do to be honest, more toward a text that works evokation style with the deities.

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Aug 17 2013, 02:34 PM
Post #13

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mchawi @ Aug 17 2013, 11:48 AM) *

Anything would do to be honest, more toward a text that works evokation style with the deities.

Hum.. its been a great long time sense I looked at anything Egyptian but I don't recall evokation being their thing. You might try Ancient Egyptian Ritual Practice by Routledge. Not a grimoire but a study of how the Egyptians conducted rituals. Other than that I think the Golden Dawn did a little with that pantheon.

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Mchawi
post Aug 17 2013, 04:37 PM
Post #14

Zelator
Group Icon

Yeah, a long shot by any means recall reading about working with them in that style but it was a while ago.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th September 2024 - 11:05 AM