Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Creating Servitors
Ethereal Sight
post Jan 5 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #1

Light Wielder
Group Icon

So I've scoured this forum and two others for six hours at this point and there are several posts on how to make a thoughtform servitor without actually explaining how it's done. I've seen a lot of book recommendation, but that's not accessible to me. I have absolutely zero idea how to do this and I need it for a ritual I'm planning (the ritual's in July, so no sweat on timing, but practice makes perfect). I've been told to sigilize, but I'm really bad at that because the process confuses me. I want to endow my servitor with certain properties and abilities fed by elemental energies, but I don't know how to do that. Help?

--------------------
"Take root in the ground, live in harmony with the wind, plant your seeds in the Winter, and rejoice with the birds in the coming of Spring." - Hayao Miyazaki (Sheeta from the film - Laputa: Castle In The Sky)
All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law. - Voltaire
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
Illusion is the first of all pleasures. - Voltaire

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Jan 6 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #2

Practicus
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ethereal Sight @ Jan 5 2011, 09:57 PM) *

So I've scoured this forum and two others for six hours at this point and there are several posts on how to make a thoughtform servitor without actually explaining how it's done. I've seen a lot of book recommendation, but that's not accessible to me. I have absolutely zero idea how to do this and I need it for a ritual I'm planning (the ritual's in July, so no sweat on timing, but practice makes perfect). I've been told to sigilize, but I'm really bad at that because the process confuses me. I want to endow my servitor with certain properties and abilities fed by elemental energies, but I don't know how to do that. Help?

Siglization may just take practice as well, what about the process is confusing though?

One possibility is to create sigils of each of the individual properties, and then condense the individual charged sigils into a single sigil representing the thoughtform itself.

If you are more interested in talismanic magic as an approach, vs sigilization, then you might create talismans for each property, and then again create a thoughtform attached to an associated base, i.e. a fetisch, but this also relies on ensuring that you can maintain an altar space for the fetisch and associated talismans.

Yet another method would be to establish fetisches for each of the elements, and then to create the thoughtform in a ritual setting in which the elemental fetisches are present to be attached to the physical base of the thoughtform - whether that is a sigil or another fetisch object.

A fetisch can be any appropriate object. Fire might be a zippo lighter, earth might be any rock or crystal, air could be a fan or some such, water could be a traditional cup, or an actual bottle of water - preferably a glass bottle of some interesting look. In any case they should all be interesting an appropriately non-ordinary. The fetisch for the thoughtform should again be something appropriate to its central purpose.

A thoughform or servitor should always have a central directing purpose or initiative, its 'spirit' if you will. That is what is meant when you read that a servitor should 'serve a single purpose or task'. Whatever other attachments you create after that are the tools it must use to accomplish that task. Really, it's better if you don't try to give it elemental tools, etc., to use - this will limit how it can go about doing what it needs to do, but then I don't know what it is you want it to accomplish either.

Finally, you could create individual thoughtforms intended to direct their elemental energies to the use of the 'governing' thoughtform.

It's difficult to explain exactly what needs to be done without knowing exactly what you don't know. Do you have some kind of understanding of what a thoughtform actually is and what it can accomplish? Like the name implies, thoughtforms operate on the mental plane - giving it access to elemental power will possibly direct it's actions towards their presence on that plane, but not on the physical plane, and not in the astral or spiritual plane. Thoughtforms can affect decisions and choices, and will bring about what you want by manipulating currents on the mental plane. Empowering a thoughtform with elemental fire, for instance, will give it a propensity to affect the will of individuals who will play a role in bringing about that central goal; water may affect emotions; air may affect intellectual affairs and intentions; earth may affect stability and cohesion.

Figure out in all this what you aren't sure about and I can elaborate on a particular method if you need.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Vilhjalmr
post Jan 7 2011, 02:13 AM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

^ I always felt that fetishes and idols were probably most useful for stuff on a spiritual/astral level. Are there ways to create, summon, or bind entities that can affect these planes (specifically through something like a talisman, fetish, idol, etc)?

--------------------
Für Wodin!

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Jan 7 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #4

Practicus
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vilhjalmr @ Jan 7 2011, 03:13 AM) *

^ I always felt that fetishes and idols were probably most useful for stuff on a spiritual/astral level. Are there ways to create, summon, or bind entities that can affect these planes (specifically through something like a talisman, fetish, idol, etc)?

The astral and psychic spheres are often lumped together, but they are separated by a degree of vibration or phase. A thoughtform is a thought-given-form. They represent collections of concepts, which are in turn constructs of psychic material. Just as one's thoughts are not what is present, or affects, the astral sphere, likewise a thoughtform does not affect the astral sphere. The quality of thought in the astral sphere is very different, because a different part of you is thinking. If you want to create an entity to affect the astral sphere, then you must either create that entity there by reconstructing its physical base in the astral sphere, or create a physical 'duplicate' in the physical sphere of some astral 'base'.

The same process can be carried out in the psychic sphere. Most 'astral projection' is projection to the psychic sphere. Things are more concrete there, and it is more closely tied to the physical, hence, we can create thoughtforms more easily on that sphere.

If you are able to contact an entity during projection to the astral sphere, that entity can give you a 'key' of sorts, or can specifically instruct you as to what qualities of objects are necessary to establish a fetisch for that particular spirit. This is a typical 'medicine shamanism' kind of approach applied to spirit guides, spirit animals, etc. It will be a quality of object as well as a quality of thought around it - a taboo of a sort. Astral entities need to descend through the psychic and to the etheric world to mediate between, which means they need a psychic resonance (taboo) and an etheric resonance (quality of fetisch {think, 'from a graveyard' 'growing wild' 'cut from a certain tree at a certain time', etc.}) and a physical 'magnet' (fetisch object itself). You can go backwards by getting an object of a certain quality and treating it a certain way, drawing a particular kind of spirit down that way - but, you either have to be informed of that particular spirit's natures and requirements, or you have to know enough to know how to get the kind of spirit you want.

To go a level up, causal entities follow the same formulae, but in addition to a particular kind and quality of object treated a certain way, you must be a 'certain kind of person'. Your own personal astral quality is something above and beyond your thoughts, having something to do with the quality of your actions and the summation of the motivation of your thoughts. Astral self is a kind of 'pre-thought' self which is more essential and directing than your mental self. But consider - angels are causal beings, and the abramelin operation requires rituals involving handing out alms and spreading psalms, fasting and being chaste, etc. Particular qualities of beingness, to create resonance for causal spirits that must have an 'in' to the astral sphere through which to descend. Beyond the causal I don't know what is required, but you can see how the formulae operates, hopefully.

Additionally the same explanation taken 'down' a level to just the thoughtforms initially discussed - a certain kind and quality of object, but without the taboo. On the physical sphere we create with certain kinds of objects, and their quality is inconsequential. See?

Different traditions parse things up in different ways. Etheric, psychic, astral, causal, etc., come with different names, but the qualities of each remain basically the same. The same goes for 'sacred objects' of various traditions. There are degrees of 'specialness' in various objects from personal icons to village idols, and so on, each requiring apparently different degrees of operation by their devoted.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Ethereal Sight
post Jan 8 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #5

Light Wielder
Group Icon

What I don't get is just the general idea of creating it. I can get all these materials and make all these sigils, but what do I actually do with them? I've heard everything from just mold a massive blob of energy and then charge it with your intent to give an psy-ball energy arteries and a purpose... I get all the materials and such, but how do I go about creating the actual thing? Is just having the materials and the desire enough, or is there more?

--------------------
"Take root in the ground, live in harmony with the wind, plant your seeds in the Winter, and rejoice with the birds in the coming of Spring." - Hayao Miyazaki (Sheeta from the film - Laputa: Castle In The Sky)
All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. - Voltaire
Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law. - Voltaire
I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. - Voltaire
Illusion is the first of all pleasures. - Voltaire

+Quote Post

Draw
post Jan 14 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

Great post Vagrant! I've been considering making a kind of 'object to enhance the power of a spirit' and you explained it fantastically, fetish's are an area i think i will explore.

Ethereal sight; I know what your getting at, the actual energy work to enchantment is tricky to describe and it's rare to see in books.
i will tell you what i usualy do.

first of all i have a good stare at the object, get to know its aura, the different fields around it etc.
I usually sense a small but dense field around the object, maybe another one slightly bigger over that one and a more distant one about 3-4" around that one. It all depends on the object.
The fundamental intent to the object doesn't necessarily have to be 'high powered' just send it energy with your hands an eye as you concentrate on your intent into the object.
Move your gaze to the smaller fields and inoculate it with the intent of altering and empowering your initial intent (kind of a 'make that bundle of intent work' energy or 'creator' energy)
then i would stare a bit beyond the edge of the outer field, feeling the energy of what i just did within the more distant field and empower that bubble with energy from my hands.
With that bit set up i would then return my gaze to the object.
At this point i would say that the actual initial intent is still malleable, so when you get into the next trance you can add and adjust things according to your intuition etc,
hold your solid expressions of intent in your mind as it's energy's are employed to where they are needed.
the energy's around the object are designed to polish up what you do an enhance your stream of intent, they are also their to protect and solidify the final product, like an eggshell.
When gazing at the object itself, pour into it your consciousness of the over-all intent, take it to a different level, broaden your perspective while narrowing your concentration.
At this point it's not uncommon for the object to seemingly glaze over black as the energy's of the object start to solidify and your gaze is being totally immersed in the embryonic fields.
This often shifts on and off for a period as your gaze empowers (or merges consciousness with) the different fields of intent.
At this point i get quite tired, so i usually stop work for a minute make a cup of tea roll a fag and meditate on it from a distance so as to set a pattern of how it energetically interacts with the you an the world,
experiment with its intensity, hold it, give it means to do its work

That's my little routine simplified, i dare say everyone's got a variant, i never learned it from a book.

Make magic to make making magic more intuitive.

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Jan 14 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #7

Practicus
Group Icon

My method is again a different paradigm from the above all together. I don't think there is a 'best' way, although it does need to be a complete method to covers the basic principles mentioned before.

I follow a sort of combination ceremonial/energy work approach. I set the ritual space appropriately, I have a specific figure for the creation of thoughtforms that I lay on the ground either in chalk or, if I can't work a room with a bare floor, a 5x5 canvas with the figure painted on it, which I trace before hand.

I set the altar either in the center, or in the appropriate quarter depending on the intention, and lay the appropriate foci around the altar and the circle (candles, elemental symbols and tools, etc., for me these are few but they can be banners, cloths, elemental weapons, crystals, etc., whatever you normally use).

Once everything is in place, I open myself to the Divine Source through an internal exercise, a process of kind of reaching for and identifying with the Godhead within, by another turn of terminology. When I am sufficiently focused on that current, I seek to consciously maintain it while performing the ritual proper - light candles, invoke candles; invoke the appropriate elements and spheres, invoke letter by letter (I tend to sigilize using hebrew letters because there is a mythos behind them, but the same is true of runes, heiroglyphs, and chinese characters). And then consecrate the object itself to each appropriate involved power, and the invoke the talisman itself.

The energy aspect comes, for me, from maintaining the inner current the whole time, allowing it to flow rather than forcing anything to flow. As long as that current is there, you might say every word and action is 'deified' in a way - "Him who spake the word and it was done, and unto whom all creatures be obedient" is the line that comes to mind. There are few places where it is necessary to direct the energy in any specific way, although I do lead the energy to particular elements - letters, names, etc., the elements that must be granted deific virtue to be efficacious.

I have standard invocations written for each element, sphere, letter, candles, etc., everything that I use on a regular basis in ritual. Invocations are structured according to, in my case, a kabbalistic framework based on zoharic and suares schools of kabbalah (as opposed to GD kabbalah).

For the invocation of the object itself, for talismans I simply structure it around "You object, do this thing, by and because of all these virtues." For thoughtforms of a slightly more complex variety, I structure it around "Hey you (name), I made you and gave you life, this is your purpose, and this is how you carry it out, and this is what not to do by fulfilling your role, and this is the measure of your life. Do as you are told and then return to the 'dust' from which you were made." The difference is that a talisman is intended to work forever, or under certain conditions when it is applied, whereas a thoughtform really should be given a time limit. If you want something really long term, make a talisman, but don't give it a name. Thoughtforms have to have names, naming something is part of what gives it individuality and substance on the mental plane. A talisman is, on the mental plane, more like a resonance field.

As soon as the object is made, I immediately wrap the object in linen or silk. If it is a talisman, I place it or wear it appropriately and when appropriate. If it is a fetisch, I set up an appropriate spot for it after the ritual is finished. So, for a prosperity fetisch, it goes next to the money jar, for protection at the door or window, etc., and I make sure to choose an object that will be appropriate to the nature of the thoughtform. You might, for instance, hang a shield by your door - it is not out of place,although eccentric, and it is appropriate for a thoughtform that is supposed to protect your house (in that case "For as long as you dwell there." Later on, it is better to make a new one for another home, otherwise the application of the intention begins to broaden and become unfocused.) A love thoughtform might go under a bed, or near a picture of the individual framed and set up somewhat like a 'love altar' as it were.

It sounds to me like you prefer straight energy work. All I will say is that, your method should be based on a calculated but intuitive approach, in one way or another expressing each of the necessary principles. A lot of people like to 'program psi balls' and such to make thoughtforms... A thoughtform will work an order of magnitudes better with a physical base. I would, if I were you, use an energetic method, and a ritual method, and see which one works best. You can, over time, learn the feels and flows of energy from ritual practice and apply the same fields on your own, although it takes a lot of work and attention to detail. And you have to develop a reliable lexicon for yourself so that you can control specific aspects of the field.

peace

--------------------

+Quote Post

SororZSD23
post Jan 28 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #8

Neophyte
Group Icon

A "servitor" is chaos magick jargon for a thought form that you want to make tangible in some way. In the extreme, among veritable shamans, the thought forms created can appear and act as phantoms. YOur average Chaos mage is not at this level but can get effects nonetheless.

Simply put, you must have a very clear image of the form, purpose, and personality/temperment of the serviitor. Then you hold this image (as in concentration type meditation for several days or weeks) and project this thought intensely until it seems strong enough to either test or fulfill a task. Some mages will go through a ritual of creating a sigil, a name, a container, a birthing, etc. of their servitor. I've gone through this rigamarole but I'm not sure that it is necessary or adds any oomph to the end result but a name and sigil for your mind to grasp and launch when you want to work with the servitor is reasonable. When I use a servitor, I imagine its form and feeling and strongly imagine it springing out of me to do whatever it is to do. You can practice expressing thought forms with magically inclined friends by asking them to concentrate on impressions of the atmosphere while you imagine that you are projecting a thought form. For example, I have a young friend who is working on a servitor that has the form of a werewolf. Before this was disclosed to me, we were practicing thought form reading and I would "see" a dark, thin, animal-like thing spring out of his forehead and stand beside him.

--------------------
Leaving aside those principles of magic that play on the superstitious and that, whatever they be, are unworthy of the general public, we will direct our thoughts only to those things that contribute to wisdom and that can satisfy better minds . . . -from De Magia by Giordano Bruno (born 1548; burned at the stake February 16, 1600).
My Webpage

+Quote Post

monkeyGeneral
post Feb 8 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #9

Neophyte
Group Icon

Hey Ethereal,

I made a sigil for a servitor who blocks the wind so I can light my cigar.
I invoke him by name when I am about to ignite the match, and thank him thereafter.

I thought about making a servitor who travels instantly into the Amazon basin, harvests jungle tobacco, then appears in the form of a beautiful goddess who rolls the cigar upon her thighs, lights it from her own lips, and presents it to me - but figured I'd start out with something simple.

On the other hand….

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse