"cult" In The News, FYI
monkman418
post Sep 19 2010, 02:52 AM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Some scary and unfortunate news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_missing_cult_members

Perhaps I should also note that the group appears to be Christian based, though very much an offshoot of what is considered mainstream. I'm not bashing Christianity, but I think it's always worth noting that the vast majority of true "cult" activity isn't based on Occultism/New Age, and instead reflects a degeneration of what's already in majority culture. In other countries with a non-Christian majority, you find the same problem in certain bizarre off-shoots.

This post has been edited by monkman418: Sep 19 2010, 02:54 AM

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

monkman418
post Sep 19 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

Looks like the group has been found:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/19/califo...dex.html?hpt=T2

It's also possible that the group wasn't planning a mass suicide in any case, hard to tell from the story.

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

Draw
post Sep 22 2010, 04:29 AM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

Well i'm glad they are all right, it dose highlight that their is a lot of fear over cult suicide's like heavens gate.

Whats wrong with a cult?! I'd much rather be part of a nice cult than a big unspecial religion anyway.

The comments are usually the most interesting, lots of racism i see.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse