Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Familiars
Thorn
post Mar 25 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

I know there's already a topic posted on familiars here, but that one focuses on spiritual guides and the like. This is more a question about physical animals and what makes them 'familiars' as oppose to 'pets'. It seems that some are just more naturally intune with the magic being worked around them than others... some people do dedication ceremonies for their pets in order to make them 'official familiars', of a sort. So I was wondering what people's thoughts were on animals as familiars, what separates them from the basic house pet, and also if any animal can be a witch's familiar or if it's only an animal with an already existing spiritual connection with you. Any opinions appreciated. Cheers:)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Mar 27 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #2

Practicus
Group Icon

QUOTE(Thorn @ Mar 25 2007, 05:33 PM) *
I know there's already a topic posted on familiars here, but that one focuses on spiritual guides and the like. This is more a question about physical animals and what makes them 'familiars' as oppose to 'pets'. It seems that some are just more naturally intune with the magic being worked around them than others... some people do dedication ceremonies for their pets in order to make them 'official familiars', of a sort. So I was wondering what people's thoughts were on animals as familiars, what separates them from the basic house pet, and also if any animal can be a witch's familiar or if it's only an animal with an already existing spiritual connection with you. Any opinions appreciated. Cheers:)

Me and my - I realize it's cliche - cat, share a short of familiar bond. I only realize it because there are now other cats living in the house. I haven't made her my familiar specifically with intent, exactly, but I've had her since she was born, literally, and when she was that small I was experimenting with sharing consciousness with parts of the world - animals, plants, other people, etc. - and tried on several occasions to forge a psychic link with her. I was experientially privy to the moment her spirit crossed from that world to this one, and always thought that had something to do with it.

I assumed she was just more in tune to me because she was 'over-bonded' which is just something that happens to cats or other young pets when you get them 'too early' in life. And over time I realized that she was very intelligent, and had a very large and distinct vocabulary of sounds. I always just be able to understand what she wanted, or some apparent message she was trying to communicate.

Well, we raised another kitten a year and a half later, and we got her just after she was born as well. We rescued animals constantly back then, and this is one of the few that stuck around. She exhibits the same sort of behavior, but doesn't communicate well, and isn't as consistent about it as my first cat. She doesn't understand as much, and vocabulary is far less varied, and she only ever seems to communicate her basic needs, whereas my first cat sometimes offers reassurance, calms myself, and my guests, down when we get frustrated with one another or life in general, and everyone who visits expresses amazement at how lucid she appears to be.

Now, I don't always have my cat around during rituals, but I often do have her there during meditation, and since I first began the attempt to share consciousness with her I've worked on it on and off for years. Now sometimes I wonder if I understand her more and more because I'm aware of her consciousness, and she is aware of mine. And I think that's the big difference between a familiar and a 'house pet'. But, I think that it's something that has to be worked on naturally, i'm not sure than with an adult animal, any ritual is really going to establish a connection like that.

As to what kind of animal you should choose and why, i think it mostly needs to be one you can really love - no use having a raven familiar, for instance, if you dislike birds. It has to be a genuine wish to really bond, and like any other animal bond - or a bond with a spirit for that matter - it should be respected as sacred, or it can be broken. When my cat is angry with me, she's very direct about it, and there's never any doubt that i've displeased her somehow, either by not paying enough attention, or letting the cat box get too full.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse