Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Astral Temples, Do you have one? What do you do there?
fatherjhon
post Sep 2 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #1

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Right so I got an astral temple and I’ve used it maybe two dozen times. Is a lovely place that I can visit at will, and hide out in if my tiny apartment is getting me down, and it provides a easy access point to the astral at large. I know the golden dawn has a lot of meditations for use in one, and I personally find meditation easier there. Aside from that, I have no idea what I can use it for.

So for anyone who has an astral temple, or anyone with path working experience, what can you do in an astral temple?

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

monkman418
post Sep 3 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Sep 2 2010, 11:02 PM) *

Right so I got an astral temple and I’ve used it maybe two dozen times. Is a lovely place that I can visit at will, and hide out in if my tiny apartment is getting me down, and it provides a easy access point to the astral at large. I know the golden dawn has a lot of meditations for use in one, and I personally find meditation easier there. Aside from that, I have no idea what I can use it for.

So for anyone who has an astral temple, or anyone with path working experience, what can you do in an astral temple?

Yo FatherJhon,

(Can hardly spell that, Jhon, I keep wanting to spell it "John," or am I missing something?)

If I'm remembering correctly, Crowley invoked the Holy Guardian Angel in his astral temple while riding on the back of a camel.

There have been times when I've done a banishing in the astral temple when I've been on the bus or something and would be looked at strangely if I screamed the God-names in the four quarters, and this has always worked quite well. So it's useful for doing magick when you're in a place where you can't use physical props.

I've also tried various elemental rituals in the astral temple alone, and confronted various "things" (thoughts and/or spirits...who knows) there that I'm working on understanding or mastering. So it provides access to the "inner realms" of self in a way that you don't normally experience in a physical ritual space. A nice bonus of working rituals in the astral temple is that you always have all the tools you want or need, can shoot lightning from your fingers, et cetera.

Then you can overlap physical ritual space with the astral, and that's probably the most fun IMHO. Cuz then the ritual space is especially...animated.

...so this leaves open a new question, if you haven't already answered it, as to what you want to achieve with magick to begin with...

This post has been edited by monkman418: Sep 3 2010, 12:39 AM

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Sep 3 2010, 01:21 AM
Post #3

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Sep 3 2010, 02:38 AM) *

(Can hardly spell that, Jhon, I keep wanting to spell it "John," or am I missing something?)

Hehe, indeed. That is an old relic from a long time ago that I've reclaimed. I have very bad Dyslexia, to the point that I was in my early 20's before I was able to pass as having some understanding of English spelling and grammar. My name was a miss spelling but I figured it was distinctive so it stuck . I pronounce it "dʒa-hon". Think john with heavy french accent.

...so this leaves open a new question, if you haven't already answered it, as to what you want to achieve with magick to begin with...

That's simple enough, I want to achieve occult gnosis, where I can be enlightened without having to live in a cave, and still live and interact in modern society- hopefully with a bit more ease.

I used to be really into CM, hence the astral temple, but found all the props a tad cumbersome. Perhaps if I had ask this question eight years ago I might still be practicing it. But be that as it may, my practice is eclectic now so I'm trying to re-task the temple so to speak. Seeing as CM and Shamanism have similar elements to them, I started playing with the idea of a shamanistic temple after reading your following quote. Haven't a bloody clue how that would work, although I have a feeling that it would be like a continuing vision quest.

I've also tried various elemental rituals in the astral temple alone, and confronted various "things" (thoughts and/or spirits...who knows) there that I'm working on understanding or mastering....Then you can overlap physical ritual space with the astral, and that's probably the most fun IMHO. Cuz then the ritual space is especially...animated.

This sounds fun, would you mind expanding this a bit?

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

kaboom13
post Sep 3 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #4

Unregistered

I do this constantly and I love it, though its more of a formal meeting space for me. Think of it as an office or a working space that I have to log into, or the place to meet a parole officer, that sort of thing. Basically going in or out of that state leaves me heavily euphoric, so its an enjoyable experience.

As you guys define magick as a means to change the outcomes of what we subjectively perceive as events, I don't do it any more. With most internal energy manipulation, its more of less that it's been something I've been doing since I could remember, and I basically check in with my handlers because if I don't, they either visit me or rip me out of my body to talk.

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Sep 3 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

D-jhon! By Jhon St. Jhon, I like it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bigwink.gif)

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Sep 3 2010, 02:21 AM) *

I used to be really into CM, hence the astral temple, but found all the props a tad cumbersome. Perhaps if I had ask this question eight years ago I might still be practicing it. But be that as it may, my practice is eclectic now so I'm trying to re-task the temple so to speak. Seeing as CM and Shamanism have similar elements to them, I started playing with the idea of a shamanistic temple after reading your following quote. Haven't a bloody clue how that would work, although I have a feeling that it would be like a continuing vision quest.
This sounds fun, would you mind expanding this a bit?

Hmm...how to explain it...overlapping the astral and the physical temple...

When you're in the astral temple and do a ritual, perhaps calling up a jinn or some such, you'll have a sense of what it feels like to interact with that entity. I think just a little experience will give you a very good sense of what this feels like.

Now go back to the physical temple, and call up the same jinn. Go through the same motions as before. The astral is always going on in the background of the physical temple anyway, but you can additionally imagine the astral temple as being in the background, or overlapping it. Now as you go through the ritual you'll get little...sensations, ideas and images will flood your mind from a seemingly unknown quarter, and you'll know from your exclusive astral experience that Mr. Jinn has returned...because it's the same kind of perception. Similarly, the powers you used to call up the Jinn in the astral can now be channeled through your magical weapons, again feeling similar to doing it in the astral temple. These sensations will grow more powerful with practice as you get comfortable and sensitive to what you're experiencing. Eventually, the images will stabilize and become...real...

It should probably be noted that this is easier to do than it sounds, though the results are extraordinary.

Yeah, no need to live in a cave, all you need to know is how to turn it off when you want to leave the ritual space. The LBRP should of course be employed if you're having trouble doing this. (I'm writing this last comment as much for anyone else who reads this and wants to try it as much as to you.)

(WOO HOO! Crown me a Sacred-Magick.org Zelator!)

This post has been edited by monkman418: Sep 3 2010, 04:56 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Sep 3 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #6

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Well that sounds straight forward enough, which means that I'm probably missing something. But then that's half the fun.

This multiple awareness you diatribe sounds a lot like what I'm looking for.

As for enlightenment let me just get there and hold on to it before I try turning it on and off.

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

☞Tomber☜
post Sep 3 2010, 09:31 PM
Post #7

Zelator
Group Icon

this all is very interesting. Noob question: I imagine you "found" the temple astral? Or it is a replica of a physical space. Or is there a way to sort of construct a astral temple?

--------------------
QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Jan 30 2013, 02:19 AM) *
Expect nothing, or you will get caught up in the future and not pay attention to the present. Just do the practice diligently, do it because you enjoy it, do it because you believe in it. Don't wait for results, don't wait for it to happen.

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Sep 3 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #8

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Sep 3 2010, 08:48 PM) *

Well that sounds straight forward enough, which means that I'm probably missing something. But then that's half the fun.

MUHAHAHA! Yes.

QUOTE(☞Tomber☜ @ Sep 3 2010, 10:31 PM) *

this all is very interesting. Noob question: I imagine you "found" the temple astral? Or it is a replica of a physical space. Or is there a way to sort of construct a astral temple?

You construct the temple in the imagination. It can be an imagined replica of a physical space. Or you can imagine yourself finding a temple.

[EDIT]...there are also specialized rituals you can use to "create" an astral temple.

This post has been edited by monkman418: Sep 3 2010, 09:55 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418

--- Stephen Hawking

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Sep 4 2010, 03:47 AM
Post #9

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(☞Tomber☜ @ Sep 3 2010, 11:31 PM) *

You can find ones that are already around too. The one I have was constructed but then I have also stumbled on to temples other people built. In fact I think Sacred magick once had a astral temple for the members. It used a something like a sigil of a set pyramid. In any case once you have a sigil you can open a portal to the corresponding temple. Most of the time that is not pleasant. Unless it is made for a group pr intended to be public a temple is a hard place to visit.

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Sep 3 2010, 11:54 PM) *

...there are also specialized rituals you can use to "create" an astral temple.

Oh? Could you direct me to some sources. I never had any directions more elaborate than "go think up a temple."

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

monkman418
post Sep 5 2010, 06:49 PM
Post #10

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Sep 4 2010, 04:47 AM) *

In fact I think Sacred magick once had a astral temple for the members. It used a something like a sigil of a set pyramid. In any case once you have a sigil you can open a portal to the corresponding temple.

Interesting...is it still around? Or are the old threads with the sigil still around? We should totally all arrange to visit it at the same time and have a party! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Sep 4 2010, 04:47 AM) *

Oh? Could you direct me to some sources. I never had any directions more elaborate than "go think up a temple."

Some people use Liber Pyramidos to this end. Others use a modified version of the Golden Dawn Neophyte ritual, which you can find in the G.D. "Z" documents.

A great way mentioned on the SM thread by Kinjo:
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=1865&hl=

Other ways:

http://www.occultcorpus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6832

http://themagickalmatrix.com/lofiversion/i....php?t5241.html

http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_66/785200...rint/sstral.pdf
I especially like this last one, baptizing the stones for the different elements, though you may want to change the consecrating prayers from reading "Father Satan" to "Lord Adonai" or something...

This post has been edited by monkman418: Sep 5 2010, 08:03 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418

--- Stephen Hawking

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Sep 5 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #11

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

Thank you! That's most kind.

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Sep 5 2010, 08:49 PM) *

Interesting...is it still around? Or are the old threads with the sigil still around? We should totally all arrange to visit it at the same time and have a party! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh this forum has been around a while, and you can find most anything here. But I'll do the archive searching.

Here is the opening topic, the sigi l, and the thread for listing you results.

Looks like few people ever went to it though, and only one or two posts about what people did there. Not even a group meeting.

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse