Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Accurate Translation Of Hebrew Texts?, Anyone know where i can find any?
Mchawi
post Mar 17 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Bascially hoping to tackle the abramelin ritual one day, a few years from now and am planning on adding (fervent) prayer to daily pratice in practice for the operation. Problem is all the torahs and psalms seem to be the badly translated versions, lord in place of various godnames... was wondering where I could find an accurate translation of the psalms...?

Thanks
M

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

esoterica
post Mar 18 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #2

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

i would say to do a personal translation as it brings it all into focus, gives you a better feel for the multiple-definition words, however: [they] "have their origin in and are drawn from the Hebrew, Latin, Greek, Chaldean, Persian, and Arabian languages by a singular Mystery" - good luck, and of course let us know how it turns out, and if you need some moral support to continue - may your intent never waiver, your thoughts never be perceived as unclean, and your prayers be as patiently accepted as dee's divine droolings! - lol it may be that the intent (behind the words) is more important than the translations, seeing as how some really odd formless stuff sometimes gets better results than fixed oration - perhaps a formless urgent cry gets more immediate attention

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Mchawi
post Mar 18 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

.lol. Screaming for three hours a day with good intentions. Has to be worth something rock music has been popular for a while now. Can be quite rigid when it comes to magick at times and the fact that I can't seem to find a good translation has spurred me on some kind of quest, its the hoofed man and archer sign residing over my birth me thinks.... would probably end up molding my own experience into things after a while though.

+Quote Post

Whisperling
post Mar 22 2010, 04:22 AM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

all I know is "forty" means "many" and "mana" means "WHAT IS THIS?"

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

seven171seven
post Mar 23 2010, 11:16 AM
Post #5

Initiate
Group Icon

Apparently MacGregor Mathers version of Abramelin is translated from a poorly done french copy. Georg Dehn recently has published a much more complete version, based on the first extant manuscripts. I'm definitely going to check out this new version, if only for the 251 magic squares which are inside. Also, Mchawi, it cites sources, so you could do your own translation (if you can get access to the texts cited, or read archaic German or whatnot).

Google Books:http://books.google.com/books?id=yPh9uxQfFYAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Georg+Dehn+and+Steven+Guth&source=bl&ots=s35ZkUGjQI

Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Book-Abramelin-New-Translation/dp/089254127X

This post has been edited by seven171seven: Mar 23 2010, 11:17 AM

+Quote Post

Mchawi
post Mar 23 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

Yeah... I've got the latest, its a nice book, well rounded. You can chat to Georg on the abramelin yahoo groups pages which is nice, people tend to attempt it and post up a blog of goings on for people to read, bit slow nowadays it seems but I appreciate being able to reach out and touch an author... signed copies will probably be worth quite a bit in years to come! .lol.

Do belive the squares hold power, its not a ruse. I had a running series of dreams about the book while I was reading it... granted I tend to read at night before bed, not one for a scruplous scientific approach to the matter but it was odd, in one dream my worth and reason for working the operation was questioned by an authority on the text itself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/black eye.gif)

+Quote Post

Xenomancer
post Mar 24 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #7

Rode off into the sunset...
Group Icon
From: AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON AKRON

You will have to sleuth the different original sources. The Enuma Elish has the original flood myth. The Song of Solomon (if memory serves me correct) was a song between Inanna and Tummuz. Meta-search and cross reference for the original sources. In the end, the Bible is an amalgam of different legends, slapped with an icing topping, and then served as the birthday cake, labeled, "Happy Birthday, Jesus!"

--------------------
IPB Image
¡HA HA! ¡ESTOY USANDO EL INTERNET!
-Never learn the Art of Sword before the Art of Dance. - Celtic Proverb
-Even with spiritual power, an unchecked ego will only seek to deify itself. - Frank MacEowen
-One cannot traverse waters without causing waves. - Xenomancer
-I find it interesting that we as scholars of metaphysics have no problem discussing the intricacies of the threads of reality, but when it comes to the things that really matter, we forget them. - Xenomancer
-This world is your home. We have a mix of everything here. If you want better, make better. There's no rule of going elsewhere for the tools. That's what magick is about. - Xenomancer

+Quote Post

Mchawi
post Mar 24 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #8

Zelator
Group Icon

Good point. Thanks.

Was actually debating this with a christian the other day, the fact that the bible is a compilation of texts and stories from elsewhere, cut and edited to fit in with political views.... is it then "holy" by the actual definition of the word? Same with the koran... the only one that would stand to scruplous testing would be the hebrew origional to which you can apply their entire philosophy to, astrlogical, numerological, QBL'stic and so on.

The bible isn't a holy text at all, nice read but it'll likely drive you mad like a badly written ritual would if you take it too seriously.

+Quote Post

esoterica
post Mar 25 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #9

left 30 aug 2010
Group Icon

>>in one dream my worth and reason for working the operation was questioned by an authority on the text itself.

nice! - and you're response was....(if you want share) - i get that crap all the time, inlcuding the lovely 'you will never be allowed to finish it'

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse