Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Wardrobe Of A Modern Magician, Getting the look updated
Bb3
post May 17 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Ok, no ones more a fan of robes than myself, and who doesn't love doing rituals naked? However, I've been thinking, what could someone in these modern times wear, regale themselves in, clearly asserting themselves without being totally in your face both in public and private? I'm really not much a fashion person, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts, I was thinking maybe an all black or white suit, I see some into Santeria out there sporting all white suits and such, it seems pretty good. Maybe a black tuxedo with a black vest and bowtie? Of course one thing would be some really nice custom jewelry but I'm thinking more accessible.

This post has been edited by Bb3: May 17 2011, 07:08 PM

--------------------
Mad skillz

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post May 17 2011, 07:56 PM
Post #2

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bb3 @ May 17 2011, 08:07 PM) *

Ok, no ones more a fan of robes than myself, and who doesn't love doing rituals naked? However, I've been thinking, what could someone in these modern times wear, regale themselves in, clearly asserting themselves without being totally in your face both in public and private? I'm really not much a fashion person, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts, I was thinking maybe an all black or white suit, I see some into Santeria out there sporting all white suits and such, it seems pretty good. Maybe a black tuxedo with a black vest and bowtie? Of course one thing would be some really nice custom jewelry but I'm thinking more accessible.

Depending on what I am doing, I wear a ratty old white cotton pants and vest that I have some protective sigils stitched on in red thread. I do not tend to use a circle so I feel justifiably paranoid when putting it on. Other wise I tend to wear whatever I have on when I decide to do the ritual, or work some spell. Interesting that you brought up jewelry. I have just been thinking of making some jewelry. I have a few pieces planed but I see them more as something for "on the go magick" where I have no place or time to do a ritual but need a pervasive influence as I go about by day. When I actually bother to do a ritual longer than five minutes I keep to rather strict rules about the metaphysics of my cloths. That I think is the reason why magick gear is so "in your face both in public". You need a very stylish person indeed to make something stylish while meeting all list of ritual requirements.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post May 17 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

When you are doing rituals on your own, there isn't anyone to see you, so unless it is built into the ritual it doesn't matter what you wear. When you work within a group there may be a uniform robe, like the group our group circled with a couple of weeks ago. Probably their robes were made in the same place. But when working in a group even if there are no requirements if one or two begin wearing robes then most others will feel the need to buy or make their own robes.

I've worked skyclad and in groups with elaborate robes, belts, jewellery with rank insignia and other accessories.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post May 18 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #4

Practicus
Group Icon

For private practice, I believe that taking into consideration any cloth requirements one can dress however they choose - when my tailoring skill gets to 375 I intend to come up with two sets, one black and one white, of long-coats, pants, vests and shirts that might look right stylish in an east-meets-west kind of way, with relevant embroidery as an appropriately mystical accent. For visual individuals, getting in the mood is helped along greatly by the right attire and surroundings. For public 'display' it's another matter I think.

There's a principle I've been considering for a while - I don't think it's anything new per say, but new to me when i considered it the first time - which has to do with the "magician's aura." There are three kinds of practitioners in the 'public eye' - the one who isn't, the one who clearly and obviously is, and the curious middle man who simply seems to have a certain mystique about them.

What I mean by this, if it isn't obvious, is that some prefer to keep their practice entirely secret - and it's arguably best that way from many points of view - and you would never peg them as a practitioner of the arcane if you shook their hand on the street. Then there are those clad in all black, with their many rings and baubles, their pentacle necklaces and red lensed glasses who will practically introduce themselves as a sorcerer/wizard/etc.

What I prefer is simply a unique and casual appearance. The purpose is not to proclaim that I am some kind of magician or sorcerer, but to be just interesting enough in appearance that people notice and begin to wonder. The notice attracts energy, the wondering generates a kind of 'open-endedness'; a subtle openness in the universe around myself and the other where possibility is a little bit looser. "There's something vaguely mystical about that person, I wonder what they do, who they are?"

Somewhat surprisingly, when the necessity arises to indicate that you practice some kind of arcane science, people who would otherwise laugh out loud at the gentleman with the mystical bling tend to be a little more open minded. Perhaps because they feel they've discovered something that they suspected but weren't sure about - a response to all the archetypal images of mystics we have lodged in our judgement-making brain bits - and are intrigued rather than affronted. Likewise the individual who dresses to conceal their practices entirely is often met with simple disbelief, that perhaps because the 'imago' of the individual in that other person's mind is at odds with the possibility they are mystically inclined.

On any given day I wear linen wrap pants and some vaguely asian styled shirt and jacket. I wear three magical objects every single day, first on in the morning and last off at night - prayer beads on my left hand, a box pendent visible over my shirt or top, and a talisman with a visible chain while the object itself is against my skin. I get questions about the box and the beads all the time - I give the exact same response every time, and that response is part of the ritual element of both pieces (it is removed enough from their purpose to keep that private). In my line of work, I've noticed that this 'uniform' causes my clients to assume that I have some specialized experience of benefit to them. When in uniform, I can talk to even the most conservative clients about energy and the flow of chi, explain why I need to hold this apparently random series of acupressure points and the process it will initiate. I can talk about Reiki and people just kind of open their mind to the idea. When I'm in scrubs, however, the response is very different. People expect me to be more medical in my explanations and withdraw when I mention energy work even if I demonstrate.

In summation, as magicians I think it is worthwhile in general for us to consider that we can be practitioners alone in the private areas of our lives, or we can consider every action we take, each image we create in the eyes of the public, as a kind of act of magic in and of itself - an ongoing ritual which we create a calculated imago of ourselves in the minds of onlookers which in turn reinforces our own power on the psychic and astral spheres. But the key there, is to be calculated and subtle and not haphazard and forceful.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Imperial Arts
post May 18 2011, 10:20 PM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

I have a terrible aversion to fashion as a consequence of my line of work. Stupid people buy worthless things for the sake of a brand name attached to them, or out of respect for advertising. More people aim for looking the way things are supposed to look as opposed to the way they want to look. When you get something awesome, everyone will want it, but when you get something everyone wants you are anything but awesome.

My own constant attire consists of a featureless black buttoned shirt and pants, sometimes with my cowboy hat. On TV I wear a white suit, and in the Magic Circle I wear a white robe. I prefer that people recognize me as a magician for what I do, not for how I talk or look.

When I was younger I went everywhere in a vomit-green robe, or clothes specifically chosen to look ragged and ugly. I think every magician ought to have that experience for a while, if for no other reason than to gain distance from the need for approval from others. If you can't stand to dress differently - and by different I mean unacceptably different, even to your friends, not fashionably different - you won't have much luck thinking and acting on your own initiative.

On the other hand, if you have children or a career, I think it's important to be respectable so that you will not embarrass your family and co-workers by dressing up like Pogo the Clown.

This post has been edited by Imperial Arts: May 18 2011, 10:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dancing Coyote
post May 19 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Imperial Arts @ May 18 2011, 09:20 PM) *

I have a terrible aversion to fashion as a consequence of my line of work. Stupid people buy worthless things for the sake of a brand name attached to them, or out of respect for advertising. More people aim for looking the way things are supposed to look as opposed to the way they want to look. When you get something awesome, everyone will want it, but when you get something everyone wants you are anything but awesome.

My own constant attire consists of a featureless black buttoned shirt and pants, sometimes with my cowboy hat. On TV I wear a white suit, and in the Magic Circle I wear a white robe. I prefer that people recognize me as a magician for what I do, not for how I talk or look.

When I was younger I went everywhere in a vomit-green robe, or clothes specifically chosen to look ragged and ugly. I think every magician ought to have that experience for a while, if for no other reason than to gain distance from the need for approval from others. If you can't stand to dress differently - and by different I mean unacceptably different, even to your friends, not fashionably different - you won't have much luck thinking and acting on your own initiative.

On the other hand, if you have children or a career, I think it's important to be respectable so that you will not embarrass your family and co-workers by dressing up like Pogo the Clown.

Agreed. I'm beginning to like you Imp.

--------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced form of magick will appear indistinguishable from science"

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post May 19 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #7

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ May 18 2011, 11:08 AM) *

There's a principle I've been considering for a while - I don't think it's anything new per say, but new to me when i considered it the first time - which has to do with the "magician's aura." There are three kinds of practitioners in the 'public eye' - the one who isn't, the one who clearly and obviously is, and the curious middle man who simply seems to have a certain mystique about them.... The purpose is not to proclaim that I am some kind of magician or sorcerer, but to be just interesting enough in appearance that people notice and begin to wonder. The notice attracts energy, the wondering generates a kind of 'open-endedness'; a subtle openness in the universe around myself and the other where possibility is a little bit looser. "There's something vaguely mystical about that person, I wonder what they do, who they are?"
In summation, as magicians I think it is worthwhile in general for us to consider that we can be practitioners alone in the private areas of our lives, or we can consider every action...an ongoing ritual which we create a calculated imago of ourselves.

Indeed, I can see this in my own experience from time to time, but I think I would fit nicely in to first category. A carefully crafted image is useful but it need not be a mystic one. I spend a lot of time crafting a bland personal image to avoid the hassle one tends to get when you have to live and work around people who are on the whole inconsiderate of your practice. I have gotten a lot of hostile energy directed at me over the years for wearing talismans, and have scared people off when talking about relatively tame topics like Taoist philosophy. Some times I just does not pay to advertize what you do and most people are happier not knowing.

Imperial Arts has a good point. Most people you run into have not sought you out and when forced to deal with you they will not likely respond well to Pogo the Clown. For the sake of others and your sanity having a highly fashionable and subtle, or simply hidden occult aspect to your dress helps move life along.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Bb3
post May 24 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #8

Zelator
Group Icon

Lots of good replies and I think a number of prevalent points were hit upon. Though attire isn't really a necessity when practicing solo or by oneself it can lend a certain influence to the mind of the worker, much in the same way the right incense, or the right music can help someone slip into a more magical frame of mind. So in that way my question was, what is that you could wear both for private ritual and also take outside and still be somewhat hip and modern, as let's face it robes, are a no go on the coolness factor outside nowadays.

However, many interesting points have been brought up, especially love the Vagrant story on how people's perceptions and their communications can be so radically altered depending on just what you're wearing. If you look at people who get paid to be magicians or psychics I think more often than not you'll find the most successful ones dress the part, especially during business hours to open up a more communicative customer and I think it's the smart thing to do. Even the simplest magic trick can move a person onto different levels of perception. The truth is that the majority of people judge you the first time they see you and aren't quick to abandon that first judgement. All in all being a magician is about action, not looks however I think it's amazing what the right look will do for effectiveness and success, and that's success of all kinds, not just in magical endeavours.

--------------------
Mad skillz

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post May 24 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #9

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bb3 @ May 24 2011, 03:35 PM) *

Lots of good replies and I think a number of prevalent points were hit upon. Though attire isn't really a necessity when practicing solo or by oneself it can lend a certain influence to the mind of the worker, much in the same way the right incense, or the right music can help someone slip into a more magical frame of mind. So in that way my question was, what is that you could wear both for private ritual and also take outside and still be somewhat hip and modern, as let's face it robes, are a no go on the coolness factor outside nowadays.

However, many interesting points have been brought up, especially love the Vagrant story on how people's perceptions and their communications can be so radically altered depending on just what you're wearing. If you look at people who get paid to be magicians or psychics I think more often than not you'll find the most successful ones dress the part, especially during business hours to open up a more communicative customer and I think it's the smart thing to do. Even the simplest magic trick can move a person onto different levels of perception. The truth is that the majority of people judge you the first time they see you and aren't quick to abandon that first judgement. All in all being a magician is about action, not looks however I think it's amazing what the right look will do for effectiveness and success, and that's success of all kinds, not just in magical endeavours.

Ok, that makes sense. Your looking for a prop to get you in the right headspace for living a more maigckal life. As props go, cloths are a good one for that, being how much meaning people will attribute to them. You might try basing your wardrobe around your magickal personality. For example, an eclectic witch might wear loose cloths of several colours and prints, while a folk magick uses might wear something vaguely traditional, and a summoner might wear black silk shirt and black linen pants (optional combat boots).

This post has been edited by fatherjhon: May 24 2011, 06:41 PM

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Bb3
post May 31 2011, 04:12 AM
Post #10

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ May 24 2011, 07:40 PM) *

Ok, that makes sense. Your looking for a prop to get you in the right headspace for living a more maigckal life. As props go, cloths are a good one for that, being how much meaning people will attribute to them. You might try basing your wardrobe around your magickal personality. For example, an eclectic witch might wear loose cloths of several colours and prints, while a folk magick uses might wear something vaguely traditional, and a summoner might wear black silk shirt and black linen pants (optional combat boots).

I'm not looking for anything that I don't have the answer to... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/starspin.gif) No my real question, revolves around the idea of someone who gets paid for magic in this day and age, yes in the east we know what these people would look like... but in the west shouldn't we have a fashion update from such traditions as the robes (see toga, or traditional), or the sky clad thing. What I'm saying is what outfit will display the affect of power both outside of ritual (ie working time) and inside of ritual (ie making the money time) other than stuff that's about four or five hundred years old? It's a serious question and worth investigating, as you say and I agree with, the power of perception is crucial, crucial in city scapes that many modern magicians are operating in. This is especially important when dealing with your typical person, as Vagrant rightly showed, if one displays occult (deep belief) people will most likely associate and therefore be more willing to talk about occult matters.

I think I'll have to give you the real props here as I like your idea of differentiation in magicians... In essence the final part of this post is exactly what I'm thinking of. What is the magical wardrobe a person might attire themselves in at this present time, being viewed in public, that fosters an acknowledgement of that person's 'place' but doesn't inspire ridicule. See pogo the clown. For instance I think the last appearance you mention really hits on something a person that's making money should be wearing in public. Because, for the most part it's ordinary, yet strong. The other two former recommendations can be true but are dependent solely on the strength of the person who chooses such adornment. Of course I haven't even heard from a lady yet, actually think it might be easier for them nowadays to make this kind of statement.

This post has been edited by Bb3: May 31 2011, 04:16 AM

--------------------
Mad skillz

+Quote Post

Praxis
post Nov 10 2011, 04:35 PM
Post #11

Mage
Group Icon

The overwhelming majority of my ritual work these days involves me sitting on my rump in meditative pose with a small stone altar in front of me to hold whatever basic implements I will use for the working. Gone are my early days when I would romp around the room casting The Circle, setting Wards, etc... passionately infusing motions with theatrical flare, because I finally have figured out how consistently to do so without all that dancing about. Back then, wearing a full stately robe was an integral part of it all. But now, the full length robes have become more of a bother, and after wearing the fabric thin, mid-length, over time with a butt spot, I knew I had to make some attire changes.

So I decided to make (crochet) my own "half robe" - which covers arms, chest, and back down enough to cover my lower back.
It really is just like having a sort of simple drape or blanket shawl on. And it keeps me warm in the late autumn, winter, and spring!

I treated the making of it as a ritual itself, "binding its intent" as I made each stitch. And I only use it for ritual / formal meditative work. It is not a fashion accessory for me to proclaim to the world, "Hey, everybody! Lookie Me! I is a Wizard!" or some such similar. Keeping its usage focussed on point like that makes putting it on assist me with more easily attaining a prepared state of mind.

+Quote Post

Mchawi
post Aug 31 2012, 06:38 PM
Post #12

Zelator
Group Icon

Hmmmm.. think that most head toward that place in practice, the very idea of moving from a world of differences and things (initiate) toward the idea of unity of purpose (mage) gives way for the idea of simplicity just as the need for tools lessens so does the need for expressive clothing in ritual.

Have read books that say an adept should wear quiet clothing, consider it to fit in with what others have said here so far, that in dressing "like" this and that people project views at you and effect your aura, attempt to shape your way of being in their approach to you in general. Fitting you into a certain current you would otherwise be better off avoiding.

Personally avoid branding at ALL costs, wear no statements on any of my clothes but in general confess to leaning toward a cultural tendency from where I'm from which sees me in army styled wear, not the full camouflage .lol. but all my jackets are army jackets, speaks of my interest in politics and worldly issues although I am hoping to avoid this eventually. The people of a school I sit with at times wear various colours according to astrological/seasonal correspondence, as you would in ritual but immersing themselves in it taking it outside of ritual space into their daily lives so you can tell when talking with them who is working with what diety or what they're all generally focusing on due to what they're wearing. Considering borrowing from their approach to an extent, in the mean time I like to keep it quiet for the most part, on a good day you'd probably tell that I'm into something.

+Quote Post

Bb3
post Sep 19 2012, 04:00 AM
Post #13

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mchawi @ Aug 31 2012, 07:38 PM) *

Hmmmm.. think that most head toward that place in practice, the very idea of moving from a world of differences and things (initiate) toward the idea of unity of purpose (mage) gives way for the idea of simplicity just as the need for tools lessens so does the need for expressive clothing in ritual.

Have read books that say an adept should wear quiet clothing, consider it to fit in with what others have said here so far, that in dressing "like" this and that people project views at you and effect your aura, attempt to shape your way of being in their approach to you in general. Fitting you into a certain current you would otherwise be better off avoiding.

Personally avoid branding at ALL costs, wear no statements on any of my clothes but in general confess to leaning toward a cultural tendency from where I'm from which sees me in army styled wear, not the full camouflage .lol. but all my jackets are army jackets, speaks of my interest in politics and worldly issues although I am hoping to avoid this eventually. The people of a school I sit with at times wear various colours according to astrological/seasonal correspondence, as you would in ritual but immersing themselves in it taking it outside of ritual space into their daily lives so you can tell when talking with them who is working with what diety or what they're all generally focusing on due to what they're wearing. Considering borrowing from their approach to an extent, in the mean time I like to keep it quiet for the most part, on a good day you'd probably tell that I'm into something.

Yeah, this is a great quote, but part of my question, is this: Let's say some important figure hired someone, and this persons job was 'magician' or 'seer' or any other title, what should that person wear? I think this distinction is a game changer, because you must really then present yourself as learn ed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) What might be the appropriate attire be for a such a person male or female?

--------------------
Mad skillz

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Sep 19 2012, 06:48 AM
Post #14

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bb3 @ Sep 19 2012, 06:00 AM) *

Yeah, this is a great quote, but part of my question, is this: Let's say some important figure hired someone, and this persons job was 'magician' or 'seer' or any other title, what should that person wear? I think this distinction is a game changer, because you must really then present yourself as learn ed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) What might be the appropriate attire be for a such a person male or female?

This is only half in jest.

The occult is "of the hidden" and magick has always been transgressive, shunning the conventions of the time. People expect things to coincide with their understanding of it; wizard therefore is too goofy now, aside from some punk types (a la Dresden Files), also Nicolas Chage ruined the unkept bad ass look, so pointy hats and trench coats are out. Looking back, I remember reading about two types of magick folk: the aristocrat and the slightly mole-like type that lived in the woods and had warts. I think the aristocrat is a better template these days. Also, a persona is just as important as clothes. So what that stream of consciousness has gotten us is a person with aristocratic demeanor who dresses and acts so that one thinks "there is something more about him" and which shuns the typical norms of the day.

Because everyone thinks professional means short, well groomed hair, maybe wear hair done up in an assertive, uncommon fashion. Perhaps facial hair. The clothes themselves should be a black (because occult is dark, right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) fine cloth, perhaps the tailoring is reminiscent of a sleeker 1980's power suit - broad shoulders and skinny waist. I like tight leather pants and think there should be more places to wear them so I'll toss that in. If you must a set of good quality pin-stripe trousers will do. Boots or very nice wing-tip shoes. The aristocrat is marked by the accessories he caries - cane and top hat for example - so a sorcerer should have his. I am thinking rings or some other from of jewelry subtlety engraved with occult markings.

A knowing gaze and casual display of occult powers couldn't hurt either.

This post has been edited by fatherjhon: Sep 19 2012, 07:05 AM

--------------------

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Bb3
post Sep 23 2012, 05:32 AM
Post #15

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Sep 19 2012, 07:48 AM) *

This is only half in jest.

The occult is "of the hidden" and magick has always been transgressive, shunning the conventions of the time. People expect things to coincide with their understanding of it; wizard therefore is too goofy now, aside from some punk types (a la Dresden Files), also Nicolas Chage ruined the unkept bad ass look, so pointy hats and trench coats are out. Looking back, I remember reading about two types of magick folk: the aristocrat and the slightly mole-like type that lived in the woods and had warts. I think the aristocrat is a better template these days. Also, a persona is just as important as clothes. So what that stream of consciousness has gotten us is a person with aristocratic demeanor who dresses and acts so that one thinks "there is something more about him" and which shuns the typical norms of the day.

Because everyone thinks professional means short, well groomed hair, maybe wear hair done up in an assertive, uncommon fashion. Perhaps facial hair. The clothes themselves should be a black (because occult is dark, right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) fine cloth, perhaps the tailoring is reminiscent of a sleeker 1980's power suit - broad shoulders and skinny waist. I like tight leather pants and think there should be more places to wear them so I'll toss that in. If you must a set of good quality pin-stripe trousers will do. Boots or very nice wing-tip shoes. The aristocrat is marked by the accessories he caries - cane and top hat for example - so a sorcerer should have his. I am thinking rings or some other from of jewelry subtlety engraved with occult markings.

A knowing gaze and casual display of occult powers couldn't hurt either.

Right, the only problem with the aristocrat image is that it has been portrayed to death, in the past twenty, maybe thirty years. I actually think this image makes it a more welcome and likely image for any Magi... Since, I'm sure back in the day if you chose to wear robes then for sure you would be ridiculed if not even hanged. Therefore, if anything, I would so side with that image, because it projects confidence, comfort and even mystery.

LOL at the second paragraph, I mean, they're all fine for some people, but yet they could be all wrong. I will like what you're saying because I'm fairly certain this is true. Maybe not an aristocratic method, however, in the overall feel, a modern day mage, dressed for the world to see must have some imposing facts about him/her. Otherwise, I think they will fail to be seen.

--------------------
Mad skillz

+Quote Post

Faustus
post Sep 25 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #16

Unregistered

I have never had any trouble obeying the Rosicrucian rule as found in the Fama: "None of the Posterity should be constrained to wear one certain kind of habit, but therein to follow the custom of the Country."

It's a cop-out, I know. I've got a closet full of robes, aprons, sashes, etc.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blablabla.gif)

+Quote Post

Penny_Lane
post Oct 7 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #17

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bb3 @ Sep 19 2012, 10:00 AM) *

If I held that position nowdays, I would wear a nice white blouse, black or white pants, and white blazer with a 1" silver pentacle necklace. In practice, I usually wear whatever I happen to be wearing at the time, with the addition of said necklace if I feel the need for extra protection. When I was new to magick, I wore some fairly ridiculous-looking garb I had cobbled together for the sake of symbolism particular to my faith.

(On a related note, I occasionally work on a political novel set in a fictional small country where occultism is the majority religion. The priestesses of Ishtar (Goddess of love and war), who are highly regarded in this society, wear an all-black fabric outfit which could be described as a sexy military look: a long-sleeved top with epaulets and collar insignia, miniskirt, black nylon stockings, and a sidearm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

+Quote Post

Jack
post Nov 30 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #18

Initiate
Group Icon

I'm gonna be straight here. I go for a long black pea coat most of the time with something like a fifties dock worker's cap, a vest, tie and dress shirt, a pair of ostentatiously colored corduroys (goldenrod, red, blue, etc.) and a pair of read suede boots. The coat is what makes my day the most. I feel as though it covers some bases...also my hair is blue. I shoot for refined strange.

+Quote Post

Bb3
post Dec 26 2012, 05:30 AM
Post #19

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Penny_Lane @ Oct 7 2012, 01:25 AM) *

If I held that position nowdays, I would wear a nice white blouse, black or white pants, and white blazer with a 1" silver pentacle necklace. In practice, I usually wear whatever I happen to be wearing at the time, with the addition of said necklace if I feel the need for extra protection. When I was new to magick, I wore some fairly ridiculous-looking garb I had cobbled together for the sake of symbolism particular to my faith.

(On a related note, I occasionally work on a political novel set in a fictional small country where occultism is the majority religion. The priestesses of Ishtar (Goddess of love and war), who are highly regarded in this society, wear an all-black fabric outfit which could be described as a sexy military look: a long-sleeved top with epaulets and collar insignia, miniskirt, black nylon stockings, and a sidearm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

I really do enjoy the idea that you talk about. Yeah, I know it's in depth, but that a great story. Thanks, makes me think deeper.

This post has been edited by Bb3: Dec 26 2012, 05:30 AM

--------------------
Mad skillz

+Quote Post

LeFou
post May 8 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #20

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

I love a good robe too in theory, but I have never found one in real life that really speaks to me. I think what matters most is that you wear something that makes you feel powerful, confident, and in the case of love/sex magic, sexy. Comfortable helps too. When I am performing serious ritual, as opposed to quick energy work or the like, I always go for dress casual: button down shirt (in relevant color if available) and black dress pants. Anything that looks like something the Devil would wear in a modern movie or TV show works. It's all about the drama you inspire, both to yourself and to the energies / entities you are working with, and I believe that those things change with the times as much as anything in the mundane world.

+Quote Post

magari
post Aug 30 2015, 10:24 AM
Post #21

Initiate
Group Icon

As within, so without right?

I take very good care of my image.

The only people it seems to rub the wrong way are the jealous.

--------------------
------------
The Only Constant is Change
--------------

+Quote Post

Master Sareth
post Jun 22 2016, 11:03 AM
Post #22

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

I think I know what you meant in the original post, you want to know what you could wear in public that would clearly mark you as a magician without being over the top and drawing too much attention to yourself. I think Lavey'n Satanist's do this quite well. There is a branch off sect of the satanic church with a website, they are followers of the "Satanic temple" and they sell merchandise on the website, mostly clothing and statues.

Here is a link to the website's page:https://shopsatan.com/

Notice that a person can wear a simple t-shirt, hoodie and hat with their symbol on it so that they can associate themselves with their religion very well. I don't think you would have any trouble identifying that a person decked out in everything Satan is a satanist.

If you had a bad ass high quality blue hoodie with long bell sleeves, oversized hood, some 4 pointed stars on it, perhaps a magical seal on the back and on the broach and a fancy gold/silver trim, I'm sure you would look pretty wizardy with just the hoodie alone... I know it's not a "robe" but men wearing robes in public these days is somewhat unusual and is bound to attract attention. So I would go with something more common place like t-shirts and hoodies but modify it so you can express your magical interests fully.

But if you wanted to look more like a sorcerer then I would wear the hoodie mentioned earlier with some black slacks and esoteric jewelry like rings and amulets with skulls on them or something to that effect. But that's if you want to look like a classic wizard. There are many different looks that magic practitioners can go with to express that aspect of themselves. Went with a red and black theme rather then blue, you could make a more dark sorcerer appearance. what sort of colors did you have in mind?

I will give you this magic spell so that all whom see you shalt know you are a sorcerer and respect that fact. This spell comes from the Grimoire called the "5th state of matter" it's a manuscript made by an associate of mine who's name shalt not be mentioned. Take 3 chemicals yttrium oxide, barium carbonate and copper oxide and mix them together. Then heat this powder well in a kiln at 2000 degrees for 24 hours under an oxygen rich environment, then slowly cool the powder via a process known as annealing. when this is done take the powder and press it into disks using a pollen press. you will be left with a poly-crystalline compound known as YBCO which stands for YBa2Cu3O7 a magical compound that scientists of today cannot explain very well. If you cool this crystalline ceramic disk with liquid nitrogen you will create an aspect of the 5th state of matter known as BEC or superconductivity. when you have a sufficient amount of superconductors made you can use a small silent device known as a miniature cryo cooler to keep your superconductors at cryogenic temperatures without liquid-nitrogen. Mounting the miniature cryo cooler on top of a staff with the superconducting disks covering the "cold finger" of the cryo cooler. the staff would be capable of levitating strong neodymium magnets on it's top and lock it in place via the power of perfect diamagnetism. walking around with a staff with the freaken 5th element on top is wizard enough, only that's exactly what it really is even according to science.

The staff is called a superconducting staff. A magnet wrapped in black cloth covered in fuel and set on fire is often levitated over the top of the staff during SSS ritual. The staff is an occult artifact of modern times and it is technically a violation of SSS guide lines to even divulge such information. This staff is believed to have magical properties that stem from the superconductor's ability to quantum entangle electrons.

This post has been edited by Master Sareth: Jun 22 2016, 12:47 PM

+Quote Post

jiny89
post Feb 2 2017, 11:55 AM
Post #23

Initiate
Group Icon

I think that this tread is laid to rest too long.
I also believe that the magician's power does not reside in his clothes but
in him, or her for that matter. If you see how the Word has evolved and
has become quite a dark place you see the people excising their might in Armani or Gucci suites.

This post has been edited by jiny89: Feb 2 2017, 11:56 AM

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse