Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Some Q's About The Lbrp, LBRP
ManNowDead
post Sep 28 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #1

Initiate
Group Icon

Hi, I am fairly new to the actual practice of CM and have a few questions regarding the LBRP that I hope someone could answer.

I have been meditating for quite a while, prior to gaining a strong interest in magick by any means. After reading the intro to Regardie's Golden Dawn and the first and second chapter of Modern Magick, I felt it was time for me to begin the LBRP (I have, at this point, been doing it twice a day for only two days). Some of my questions also come from a few youtube videos that I have seen about the LBRP (I know that youtube isn't the greatest source but it raised some questions nontheless)

I heard someone on youtube say that because this ritual is angelic in nature, it is absolutely necessary to wash your feet and preferably bathe prior to the ritual. I do not wish to disrespect the higher forces in any manner, and am curious about other's opinions on this topic. Part of me sees this part necessary if not alone for the psychological priming that I know certainly aids (if it is not wholly contingent upon) in the success of the ritual.
Similarly, I am curious about the necessary qualities of my place of ritual. I live in a rather small apartment with a roommate who is probably not opposed to magick, but certainly has little to no idea of my desire to practice it. He is often around at night and I am restricted to my very tiny bedroom which is not even big enough for any altar and barely any walking room for the ritual. My ideal location at the moment in my place is the kitchen or living room, but unless he is not home I would not perform it there. Perhaps now is not the time to begin such a ritual, and I should simply continue with meditations and readings until the time is right. Even if I do perform it in my kitchen or living room, they are not by any means sacred spaces. I feel that I must practice the ritual in order to get a good feel for it as well so part of me wants to think that I can currently not worry about such things. I am also curious about the magickal garb. Is it absolutely necessary when performing the LBRP? I currently have selected specific clothing for it as I have yet to create a robe. My next questions of course would be some tips on creating one. I know this is a lot at once, and I truly appreciate anyone who is offering some advice. I will continue to search the forums for some more answers in the mean time. Thank you all.

Sincerely,

MND

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Sep 28 2010, 04:18 PM
Post #2

Practicus
Group Icon

QUOTE(ManNowDead @ Sep 28 2010, 05:51 PM) *

I heard someone on youtube say that because this ritual is angelic in nature, it is absolutely necessary to wash your feet and preferably bathe prior to the ritual. I do not wish to disrespect the higher forces in any manner, and am curious about other's opinions on this topic. Part of me sees this part necessary if not alone for the psychological priming that I know certainly aids (if it is not wholly contingent upon) in the success of the ritual.

Cleaning the feet is symbolic of washing away past experiences, transgressions, etc. A symbol of being here, now; of self-forgiveness and the forgiveness of others, "a clean slate." I do not think it is a bad practice, though maybe not specifically necessary - angelic entities, and any other kind of energy/being, respond to your spiritual and psychic state of mind and the state of the energy in a space. I have never washed my feet before the LBRP practice, but I do bathe with a particular herbal blend, head to toe, before any bigger ritual while reciting personal prayers of absolution, exaltation, etc. However, if a few minutes alone before the 'temple' (your altar/space) to contemplate forgiveness for yourself and all who have 'wronged' you, and a sincere desire for inner purity of intention, are enough to place your mind and spirit in the right place then that is perfectly acceptable. That said, there are benefits inherent in ritual exercises. There are also drawbacks, so it depends largely on the kind of paradigm you want to embody and develop into. There is no hard fast approach to magic, although in this case you seem to be interested in ceremonial magic in particular. Even that can be flexible in practice as long as you recognize that if you believe angelic beings to be holy messengers of purity and innocence, then you want to approach them from that angle. Energies of chaos, for instance, entropy, decay, etc., will actually be hindered by a regimen that includes this kind of ritual self-purification. You want to achieve resonance with whatever energy you are working with. You can't do love magic without desire, you can't do harmful magic without harmful intent, and so on. LBRP is about banishing negative elemental forces - come to an understanding of what constitutes negative qualities of the four elements, and try to align the 'set-up' for the ritual with the desired outcome. In all forms of magic, even and especially CM magic, the entire act from ritual preparation to the final words and actions, should be done with a focused intention for a specific outcome, even if that outcome is cumulative and ongoing, and everything associated with the act should be in line with that intention. Find out what preparation is necessary for you to be in line with that intention (it should be some kind of activity, not just pleasant thoughts, even if it is simply reciting a prayer and burning incense), and that is enough. Don't stop short of achieving that focus though - if saying the lord's prayer and burning a stick of incense is just an empty action for you, find something else. Similarly, if washing your feet is just washing your feet for you, pick something else.

Similarly, I am curious about the necessary qualities of my place of ritual. I live in a rather small apartment with a roommate who is probably not opposed to magick, but certainly has little to no idea of my desire to practice it. He is often around at night and I am restricted to my very tiny bedroom which is not even big enough for any altar and barely any walking room for the ritual. My ideal location at the moment in my place is the kitchen or living room, but unless he is not home I would not perform it there. Perhaps now is not the time to begin such a ritual, and I should simply continue with meditations and readings until the time is right. Even if I do perform it in my kitchen or living room, they are not by any means sacred spaces. I feel that I must practice the ritual in order to get a good feel for it as well so part of me wants to think that I can currently not worry about such things. I am also curious about the magickal garb. Is it absolutely necessary when performing the LBRP? I currently have selected specific clothing for it as I have yet to create a robe. My next questions of course would be some tips on creating one. I know this is a lot at once, and I truly appreciate anyone who is offering some advice. I will continue to search the forums for some more answers in the mean time. Thank you all.

As with the preparation, the key to the space for any kind of ritual is in resonance. For a banishing ritual you might want to spend time tidying everything up (banishing chaotic elements and invoking orderly ones, symbolically). You might make an herbal tincture and spray each corner of the room (or one for each element and a spritz for each corresponding direction). You can also set up your room appropriately by correlating each direction of the room with each of the elements and associated angels, even temporarily. You might, for instance, make hangable banners with the symbols of the angels and elements on them (I'd recommend angel on top, element in the middle, and elemental spirit at the bottom personally). Then, when you want to perform the LBRP there, you might go about tidying up the room (remember that hidden messes = hidden chaotic forces, resonance is about more than just what you can see; take at least a day to really organize your space), then hang the four banners in the for directions, then do your ritual. If you want to maintain a standing resonance, or ward, you could leave them up, but if this is your bedroom it's better to set it up specifically each time, as you will inevitably do more than just acts in alignment with this ritual there.

As for clothes, again, it's about resonance. Use the same clothes each time, have them be simple and clean. I'd suggest hand washing them periodically (you can even infuse the water you wash them in with hyssop or some such if you like). If they are all made from the same kind of fiber, all the better, if they are white, this agrees with most suggestions - but they could easily also correspond to the four elements, though for banishing I think white is probably best.

To wrap up, resonance is the key to working with most entities and energies. Align yourself and your space with the intention of the ritual, in the flavor of the energies intended to accomplish that ritual, and do so with sincerity. You would find, over time, that practicing the LBRP regularly will draw you into resonance naturally, but you will experience results more clearly and more quickly if you work from 'both ends' as it were.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

ManNowDead
post Sep 28 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Initiate
Group Icon

Thank you very much Vagrant Dreamer. I will likely refer to this often in the up coming weeks.

Truly, peace as well.

+Quote Post

th0th
post Oct 6 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

I heard someone on youtube say that because this ritual is angelic in nature

I disagree that the ritual is inherently angelic. The Thelemic version of the ritual, for example (called the Star Ruby), does not involve the vibration of any angelic names. If I am not mistaken, the LBRP is a G∴D∴ ritual incorporating knowledge and symbolism from several spiritual traditions and disciplines (notably, Qabalah and ancient Indian metaphysical philosophy relating to the chakras). To play the devil's advocate, ceremonial magick arguably may have no relation to deities or other spiritual forces, and may actually be SOLELY a method of manipulating individual psychology and energy / prana / qi in order to achieve an altered state of consciousness. This, of course, is only one way to look at it, but suggests that the goal of ritual is far more critical than the forces used to achieve it.

it is absolutely necessary to wash your feet and preferably bathe prior to the ritual. I do not wish to disrespect the higher forces in any manner, and am curious about other's opinions on this topic. Part of me sees this part necessary if not alone for the psychological priming that I know certainly aids (if it is not wholly contingent upon) in the success of the ritual.

My opinion is, essentially, whatever works for you - remembering that there's no single correct way to do it. As you stated, psychological priming is key.

Similarly, I am curious about the necessary qualities of my place of ritual. I live in a rather small apartment with a roommate who is probably not opposed to magick, but certainly has little to no idea of my desire to practice it. He is often around at night and I am restricted to my very tiny bedroom which is not even big enough for any altar and barely any walking room for the ritual. My ideal location at the moment in my place is the kitchen or living room, but unless he is not home I would not perform it there.

It can be next to impossible to practice in an environment that is distracting or physically restrictive. My old room wasn't even big enough to do sun salutations; my two windows faced the street, which experienced constant traffic. Late hours were even worse, as police cars would frequently race along it at terrific speeds - so even meditation was difficult. I feel your pain.

I would seriously recommend finding a place to go, even if it requires keeping odd hours or travel, if you desire to practice this (and other) ritual(s) physically. I would also seriously recommend NOT discussing your interest in practicing magick to your roommate, because the skepticism, ridicule, etc. of uninterested parties is likely to affect your Work. Furthermore, it may be best to only discuss your Work with like minds in a general, indirect way, and to avoid specifics, unless discussing theory.

Perhaps now is not the time to begin such a ritual, and I should simply continue with meditations and readings until the time is right. Even if I do perform it in my kitchen or living room, they are not by any means sacred spaces.

A couple things: firstly, ritual need not be practiced strictly in the physical realm. I refer you to this link discussing the formulation (and training) of the body of light, which is the vehicle whereby one travels in the astral realm:
http://iao131.livejournal.com/32573.html

The article explains that one ought to train the body of light to perform all rituals one would practice physically. This could be a solution to your space issues.

With respect to sacred space - there are physical keys to creating sacred space, but "sacred" is essentially a context that can be created. Dan Winter, who was the real-life basis for the Darren Aronofsky film Pi, has some interesting things to say about the relation between geometry, magnetic maps, materials, and sacred space; although the material is a bit dense, you can listen to an interview with him here:
http://itsrainmakingtime.com/2010/danwinter

Melissa Joy Miller, a practitioner of feng shui, also provides insights into sacred space here:
http://itsrainmakingtime.com/2004/melindajoymiller

I feel that I must practice the ritual in order to get a good feel for it as well so part of me wants to think that I can currently not worry about such things.

In my opinion, that is the correct attitude. Your Will must not be inhibited if you would succeed. However, practice is only one aspect of the LBRP. In truth, the ritual provides excellent subject matter for meditation, and the symbolism goes much deeper than you may realize. Aleister Crowley's notes on the traditional LBRP indicate that the practitioner stands at the intersection of Samekh and Pe (paths 28 and 27, respectively) and four sephiroth on the Tree of Life (Qabalah): Tiphareth (Sun - one begins facing here), Netzach (Venus), Yesod (Moon), and Hod (Mercury). He also indicates that the vibration of the Divine Name should cause the archangels to appear, and that the pentagrams should form a column in which the practitioner is cut off from the outer and Qliphotic universes, in which the hexagram should appear above and below him/her without any effort whatsoever.

I have found that practice in visualizing the archangels, or at least my own conception of them based on certain keys (corner, color correspondences associated with those corners, the Qabalistic meanings of Hebrew letters which form their names, etc.) is invaluable as one progresses, although early on it is more important that the signs, steps, and names become second nature.

I am also curious about the magickal garb. Is it absolutely necessary when performing the LBRP?

Garb, like wands, stones, or anything else, is a ritual prop. It is as much a context-setting device as anything else one does to prepare oneself or one's ritual space for the Work. I often perform nude, as I have no suitable clothing for ritual. As a note, though, some practitioners have two ritual robes: a black one for thaumaturgic works, and a white one for theurgic works. But this is all preference. As long as you're clear on what your props mean, that's what they mean.

I hope this helps, and please do ask if I can expound or clarify.

Fraternally yours.

This post has been edited by th0th: Oct 6 2010, 01:31 PM

--------------------
z:.a:. - mucro pondera divinus
[ 61 + 146 = 0 ] : [ ªnode + ªngel = ªur ]
AUMGN for the restless, ARARITA for the Rest.
<< sevenspiration dot vox dot com >> (blog)

+Quote Post

ManNowDead
post Oct 8 2010, 01:34 AM
Post #5

Initiate
Group Icon

Thank you very much, this was quite helpful. Albeit about a week, so much has changed for me. It is as if the universe is surrounding me with synchronicities at an unbelievable pace. Recently my interests have fell into the realm of sacred geometry, and it is no surprise to me that you send me that link. Strange things.

In regard to the LBRP, I have begun to perform it during meditations, although I am not sure if this would qualify as an astral event. I am actually quite confused with astral projection in general. In my situation, I am simply visualizing in as great a detail as I can (which increases at a seemingly daily pace) specific things, and locations that I may be in, etc. I will certainly look into the development of the body of light.

** I just read the Formulation of the Body of Light in Thelema post, and I remembered something that I wished to address: Fear.
When in deep states of mediation I often get the feeling of someone else being there, which for one reason or another does invoke a sense of fear in me. I understand that this can be (and understand why to an extent) detrimental. Any tips on getting beyond it or is it something to simply something to continue to push myself into? The idea of astral beings for one reason or another both greatly intrigues me and brings out a sense of fear as well. Any comments on this or the astral would be awesome.**

Thank you very much for your time, truly.

This post has been edited by ManNowDead: Oct 8 2010, 01:41 AM

+Quote Post

th0th
post Oct 12 2010, 09:12 AM
Post #6

Neophyte
Group Icon

** I just read the Formulation of the Body of Light in Thelema post, and I remembered something that I wished to address: Fear.
When in deep states of mediation I often get the feeling of someone else being there, which for one reason or another does invoke a sense of fear in me. I understand that this can be (and understand why to an extent) detrimental. Any tips on getting beyond it or is it something to simply something to continue to push myself into? The idea of astral beings for one reason or another both greatly intrigues me and brings out a sense of fear as well. Any comments on this or the astral would be awesome.**

In a sense you are right to experience some reaction to the awareness of another presence. However, your reaction should indicate your individual needs for growth and development. One of the core concerns of spiritual Work, insofar as I am concerned, is to discover - and overcome - that which limits you. As a bulwark against fear, consider that the astral realm encompasses something of a paradigm shift in that symbols are real things and real things are symbolic there. Knowing how to correctly use symbols, such as banishing pentagrams, is useful there - as are other symbolic warding and protection tools. A little research and contemplation should yield some helpful results. I first read of this in, I believe, Lon Milo DuQuette's "The Magick of Aleister Crowley", which is a handbook of standard Thelemic rituals.

However, before you go off banishing any watchers in the astral, it may be of more use to simply protect yourself and make an effort to communicate with them. The simple act of pursuing spiritual Work makes one as a beacon in the higher planes, as if you were a lighter that just flicked on in a dark room. If you believe that the entities you encounter in the astral realm are external to yourself, consider that they are simply taking notice.

By communicating with such entities, one may learn their nature, their names, or their purposes, and potentially engage in a relationship with them (i.e., they become a familiar spirit). And this is another central magickal practice - communion with other beings. Whether they be angels, demons, gods, goddesses, extraterrestrials, or whatever is up to you to discern. Play with caution; learn what you're doing before you get in over your head; journal religiously.

And have fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

For the record, some texts indicate certain modes of etiquette when engaging with so-called "spiritual" beings. The Sacred Book of Magic of Abramelin the Mage, for example, states that demons are to be held in contempt. I don't know that I agree. Although I do agree it is important to know how to protect yourself, or in some way to "master" or "control" them, I question whether maltreatment of any entity is beneficial to the practitioner.

I wish you the best of luck.

--------------------
z:.a:. - mucro pondera divinus
[ 61 + 146 = 0 ] : [ ªnode + ªngel = ªur ]
AUMGN for the restless, ARARITA for the Rest.
<< sevenspiration dot vox dot com >> (blog)

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse