Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Using Two Decks
leech
post Jan 14 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #1

Initiate
Group Icon

I have been working with cards for a little while now but, am not very experienced. The first deck I bought (and one I am more familiar with) is a deck of Fairie Oracle cards. Over the summer, I bought a Hermetic Tarot deck and have been working with it much more than I have the Oracle cards. This evening a friend and I had a discussion about using multiple decks in a reading. She was rather concerned over combining use of two very different decks of cards.
I was wondering whether it was a good idea to use these two types of cards in one reading and, if so, what sort of spread would be used?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Animal Shaman
post May 14 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(leech @ Jan 14 2009, 10:44 PM) *

I have been working with cards for a little while now but, am not very experienced. The first deck I bought (and one I am more familiar with) is a deck of Fairie Oracle cards. Over the summer, I bought a Hermetic Tarot deck and have been working with it much more than I have the Oracle cards. This evening a friend and I had a discussion about using multiple decks in a reading. She was rather concerned over combining use of two very different decks of cards.
I was wondering whether it was a good idea to use these two types of cards in one reading and, if so, what sort of spread would be used?

I wouldn't mix decks. The decks are intertwine with one another and form a delicate web. Mixing them with another deck series could give you a wrong or misguided reading.

--------------------
totem guiding me in life right now:
The Frog
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post May 14 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #3

Practicus
Group Icon

Mmm, I disagree. The deck is just paper with pictures on it. Now, mixing tarot with oracle style decks might prove tricky to interpret if you're relatively new to cartomancy as a general practice, but there's nothing wrong with picking and choosing individual cards from a variety of decks (helps if they are the same size) if you like. You might consider spraypainting and possibly recoating (special spray on laminate coating for playing cards) so that the backs will be uniform, although that also isn't a major issue.

I experimented for some time reading with four sets of major arcana cards from four different rider/waite variations, each different set representing the four kabbalistic worlds - atzilut, beriyah, yetzirah, assiah - and had some very interesting, although ultimately not very practical, readings. Still, oracle decks are interesting in that any particular set of cards can be composed of fairly unique symbolism that you can either read according to the pamphlet, or based on your own connection to the card and its symbols. In the absence of the artistic talent and cartomantic experience generally requisite to craft one's own oracle deck, I think this would be a fantastic idea. And, there's no reason that the major arcana don't belong in a mixed oracle deck either, although if you are an in-depth reader with a kabbalistic bent that might not flow so well.

Anyway, go for it! Experimentation is the only way decide if it will work for you. If you can't make heads or tails of readings, mix other decks! If they're inaccurate, pay better attention and connect to the symbols better. Divination can be done with strong intention and a handful of grass.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Animal Shaman
post May 15 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

After contemplating on what you said Vagrant I do agree. Still for some reason I don't feel its for me but as you started might be more successful for others to dabble and try.

--------------------
totem guiding me in life right now:
The Frog
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Lee
post May 22 2010, 07:27 AM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ May 14 2010, 07:54 PM) *

Anyway, go for it! Experimentation is the only way decide if it will work for you. If you can't make heads or tails of readings, mix other decks! If they're inaccurate, pay better attention and connect to the symbols better. Divination can be done with strong intention and a handful of grass.

Ditto!

--------------------

"People are like stained-glass windows they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within."
Elisabeth Kübler-Ross (1926 -)

+Quote Post

sirius666
post Aug 12 2011, 08:12 AM
Post #6

Neophyte
Group Icon

I agree with Vagrant here - the best way to learn is to experiment with the decks. I would recommend though that you have that the two decks be attributed to two different aspects - perhaps using them in parallel in the same reading. For example, use one deck for your relationship with your dog and another for your practical external life. Do a parallel reading to examine the forces of nature involved between your relationship with your dog and determine how it affects your life.

Perhaps you may get some result, which tells you that you are not spending enough time with your dog so he is sad - and that the reason is that you are much to involved with your job or your cat. :-)

Of course you can make up your own methods and be creative - that in my opinion is a large portion of doing magick. Just be clear and consistent in your method and be sure to document your results.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse