Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Sigil Making Software
Tyler Durden
post Aug 14 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

NEWBIE QUESTION: I'm new to the sigil creation, so I hope you all do not mind me asking, but were these done on a computer program (ie-paint)?. And how does one go about creating a sigil. Is there a formula, or does one simply focus on the intent and get creative...

Many Thanks,

Makavelli

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Angalor
post Aug 14 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Makavelli @ Aug 14 2006, 05:36 PM) *
NEWBIE QUESTION: I'm new to the sigil creation, so I hope you all do not mind me asking, but were these done on a computer program (ie-paint)?. And how does one go about creating a sigil. Is there a formula, or does one simply focus on the intent and get creative...

Many Thanks,

Makavelli

These are probably used with either photoshop or painter. (I'm not entirely sure. I use photoshop and it's a bloody resource hog and drives me nuts after a while..but otherwise is great!)

Sigil creation often uses a series of formulas in order to create them. A sigil basically is a design that is drawn (or engraved) for magical power/energy. You can use already made sigils (such as planetary sigils) or you can create your own for a specific purpose. In creating your own there are a number of different ways you can go about doing it. Using the Hermetic Rose Cross is a way of making a sigil out of a word. The letters are written in Hebrew, but you can find the translations in various books such as Modern Magick. In order to create the sigils using the Rose Cross, you simply draw a circle around the letter you start on, connect all the letters in the word (in order) with a single line, ending with a cross wise line at the end of your word.

Other forms of sigil making use the planetary squares. When creating a sigil with a specific intent you find the corresponding planetary square. Such as, creating a sigil for wealth you would use the square for the sun, and essentially do the same with the rose cross. This is a little more tricky since it entails creating numbers from letters.

Another way, which is more so employed, is A.O. Spares way of making sigils from the letters themselves. In his method, you simply write out the phrase that states your purpose. "I want to have enough money to be financially stable." Then, take out the vowels so
your phrase reads this, "Wntthvnghmntbfnncllystbl". Take out the repeating consonants,"Wnthvgmbcls" and create a sigil from the remaining letters. Of course you might want to simplify your original statement so you don't end up with too many letters, but you can have some very beautiful sigils afterwards. You can also do this with a magical language aside from your natural speaking one, you'll end up with some interesting sigils in the end.

Other ways are to use the Geomantic Figures. Geomancy is a form of divination that uses either sand or paper. A series of four lines of dots are created in the sand (without counting them), and when done, are added up. An odd number creates one dot while even creates two. These in the end make up the geomantic figures. I'm not quite familiar with how some of the sigils are made using them, but there are a number of sigils already made using them that you can find.

You can also use personal intuition if you feel appropriate. I've done this in the past on a whim and it's worked quite well for me. Thereare many different ways to create sigils, but it all involves personal creation. Another words, the more creativity you use to personalize it, the more meaning it has.

--------------------
By ignorance is pride increased; those most assume know the least. ~Gay
Angalor.com

+Quote Post

A_Smoking_Fox
post Aug 15 2006, 06:29 AM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

i use adobe photoshop for my sigilling needs.
Many things can be done with it, if you are comfortable with the program.

I use it because i do a little web-design from time to time, and i am comfortable with the program.

--------------------
In LVX,
Frater A.V.I.A.F.

+Quote Post

diana
post Aug 17 2006, 04:45 PM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

i always had good results with spare's technique Angalor described, so i recomend it.
i seen, and used geomantic figures on talismanes, but always in combination with more symbolism. just pay attention on formulation of purpose, i heared of many 'mismanifested' results with sigil work.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Tyler Durden
post Aug 21 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

Can one make fractals from these programs? If so, can one use a fractal as a sigil? Forgive my ignorance, I am new to the terms of the Chao...

+Quote Post

Caliginos
post Aug 21 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #6

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Makavelli @ Aug 21 2006, 11:37 AM) *
Can one make fractals from these programs? If so, can one use a fractal as a sigil? Forgive my ignorance, I am new to the terms of the Chao...

Fractals can work quite well for some. You just need to make sure that the fractal imagery resonates for you. I've known people who have used fractals to good effect... on the other hand, I've known people that fractals didn't work at all...

--------------------
.:EOF:.

You are just a puppet... You have no heart... and cannot feel any pain... How can there be any meaning in the memory of such a being? What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, this is the illusion.

+Quote Post

bleachXlight
post Sep 6 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

sigil creation IMO

is best done in photoshop

there are times when i was making wallpapers

with an intent of anger, fustration, happiness

whatever i used the filters mostly

and i seriously came up with some craziness

i have one wallpaper that was done by accident

and it looks like there is a demon baby in the middle! FREAKY

+Quote Post

+ Kinjo -
post Sep 6 2006, 02:44 PM
Post #8

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

Photoshop is not very userfriendly IMO and I use PhotoImpact for all my graphic designs including this forum's template (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Ulead's PhotoImpact has it's limitation in comparison to Photoshop, but it has lot's of one-click features that is easy and very quick to use for beginner and intermediate users.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

bleachXlight
post Sep 10 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #9

Neophyte
Group Icon

this is true photoshop is very intimidating when you first open it
but its all about experimentation and just having fun
that program has endless possibilities (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

i think i've used photoImpact before
very decent program

+Quote Post

Sekmeth
post Sep 13 2006, 04:55 AM
Post #10

Neophyte
Group Icon

I've done mine so far with Adobe Illustrator, a similar working environment as in Photoshop but with more focus on drawing compared to PS.
For newbies in Photoshop and Illustrator I would suggest the video's of Total Training. Try http://www.totaltraining.com/ or go for the cheap way with edonkey.

+Quote Post

Tyler Durden
post Sep 19 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #11

Zelator
Group Icon

Are there any free or shareware programs that can accomplish this?

+Quote Post

Angalor
post Sep 19 2006, 01:29 PM
Post #12

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Makavelli @ Sep 19 2006, 12:58 PM) *
Are there any free or shareware programs that can accomplish this?

Um..I think a version of painter can be aquired, though I'm not sure. Usually adobe has 30 day free trials (but if you haven't used it you may actually spend those 30 days trying to figure out the program.) If you want, blender is a 3-d program and I do believe it's free. It's MUCH different than a painting program, but it does create some interesting effects. Otherwise I'm not sure, but I do know that the adobe free trial is nice. (Also works great if you have a wacom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

--------------------
By ignorance is pride increased; those most assume know the least. ~Gay
Angalor.com

+Quote Post

Tarem
post Sep 20 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #13

Neophyte
Group Icon

Blender is really hard to use... i really don't recommend that unless you have experiance in areas of digitail art and ect.

+Quote Post

Ray Wong
post May 13 2007, 07:27 AM
Post #14

Initiate
Group Icon

Macromedia Freehand MX is a very good software for sigil creation, easy to use and gets the job done fast.

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse