Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Traditional monastic study
Sadako
post Oct 31 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

I'm looking for options regarding studying under a more traditional "master - apprentice" type system, as I have found that most of the programs that are geared towards contemporary, Western civilization are watered down and not as deep as they were originally designed to be. The particular school isn't necessarily important, as I have found that most Eastern methods regarding enlightenment, Taoism, Buddhism, etc are just different paths to the same thing. I can already tell that some forum members will put forth the argument that going so out of one's way is unecessary, that these methods can be practiced regardless of environment or life situation. There is definitely some truth to that, but nonetheless, I feel it would be beneficial to me to gain some more "authentic" perspectives. My question is: does anyone have any direct experience with this type of system? Is there any particular area or school you would recommend? I can speak fluent Mandarin and have considered some of the Taoist temples in China, but they seem to be taken over by tourists (they have chair lifts in the Huashan mountains now -_-). Any information?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

mediocracy
post Nov 1 2005, 01:12 AM
Post #2

GONE
Group Icon

http://directory.google.com/Top/Society/Re.../Centers/Japan/

You should be able to travel to any reputable buddhist temple and study. This is something I have considered doing, and probably will at some point in the future.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse