Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Enochian, Something to start off
Athena
post May 22 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Kinjo, I am so glad that there is now an Enochian forum! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yahoo.gif):
If anyone has any questions about Enochian I would be more than happy to answer them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) And it would definatly get the topic up and running. I am particularly partial to the original Dee/Kelly Enochian, but also have worked with the GD version of it.
Also, others that work with Enochian, it would be awesome to compare notes.
This is a vast topic, so I am not sure where to start.
I highly recommend Geoffrey James book "The Enochian Evocation of Dr. John Dee". It is the best I have seen to date (I have been working on one but can't get off my behind to edit it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/13.gif)). Yeah I know the James book is out of print, but it is still very much worth the $50 if you are going to practice Enochian magic.
Athena

--------------------
Courses, client work, custom Daemon seals, ruby seals, magical supplies and more...
www.enochian.org &

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

mediocracy
post May 27 2005, 12:31 AM
Post #2

GONE
Group Icon

And for anyone that needs a printable pdf 'Sigillum' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached File(s)
Attached File  SDA.pdf ( 182.67k ) Number of downloads: 422

+Quote Post

bym
post May 28 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #3

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Greetings! I really find myself immersed in Enochian these last couple of decades...I just wish I could devote more time! Were you aware of the David Rankine and Skinner book out there about the Enochian works? I've yet to gather the $65+ to buy it...the book supposedly contains info left out of previous works. Any comments? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

mediocracy
post May 29 2005, 02:58 AM
Post #4

GONE
Group Icon

£35 on Amazon.co.uk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Two reviews have been posted...

"This book provides material which should have been available to magickians of angel magick many years ago, but instead got to be swept under the door and into a dark corner by the then chiefs of the Golden Dawn and other magickal orders.

Why? It provides detailed invocations which have been tried and tested, putting the power with the magickian wishing to invoke the Angelic beings which John Dee and Edward Kelly must have worked with.

The book starts with an excellent and well researched, together with well argued introduction to the history of Enochian Magick and the legacy of John Dee's manuscripts. Stephen Skinner has long been considered the world expert in Enochian Magick and it is just a pity he took so long to re-emerge to start publishing material again. I believe that this effort is worthy of support! It must have been a risky effort as I am sure that many Golden Dawn chiefs and others with a part of the pie will be upset by what is made available here, but just think of what else might be available!

Excellent work of research and publishing, this book is going to be a collectors item in the near future! "

and...

"For the serious student this book is going to change the way they view Enochian magic. Of course a superficial glance at the book might make it look dull and boring, as this is certainly not a beginners book, nor is it a book for anyone looking to learn the system step by step.

Instead, this book makes available previously unpublished invocations which can be used in the original context as the authors took no shortcuts when it came to producing this book. All the material is reproduced as per the original manuscript, allowing practitioners to work from the book in the same original style as those who worked the system before. This has the potential of establishing a new unbroken line of workings by modern enochian workers directly from the original work!

Of course many who have worked on inventing that which they did not understand or did not know about the enochian system before might feel that this book is not relevant. However for students of Dr.Dee and those interested in Renaisance magic the material in this book will be invaluable.

Congratulations to the authors and publishers for producing a future classic on my shelves. "

So the reviews are both positive. A hefty investment but it appears to be a valuable tome for the serious Enochian researcher/mage.

+Quote Post

Radiant Star
post May 29 2005, 07:27 AM
Post #5

Theoricus
Group Icon

Thanks for pointing us in the direction of the sigillum pdf Mediocracy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bym, David Rankine was one of the presenters at the LonStravaganzaworkshop and actually talked about doing research for this book and I was under the impression that he had uncovered some things not previously made available; I also vaguely remember him talking about a book for the near future, although I cannot remember the details of this one, but presumably Enochian based.

I had the chance to inspect the book mentioned at the LonStravaganza and am intending to buy a copy; I think it is worth it if you intend to follow the Enochian system.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wandwizard.gif)

+Quote Post

Athena
post May 29 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(bym @ May 29 2005, 01:47 AM)
Greetings! I really find myself immersed in Enochian these last couple of decades...I just wish I could devote more time! Were you aware of the David Rankine and Skinner book out there about the Enochian works? I've yet to gather the $65+ to buy it...the book supposedly contains info left out of previous works. Any comments? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I haven't read it yet, it is GD material, based mostly on the GD manuscripts so I haven't gotten around to it yet, but in time... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Athena

--------------------
Courses, client work, custom Daemon seals, ruby seals, magical supplies and more...
www.enochian.org &

+Quote Post

Michael
post Jun 12 2005, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

I would like to ask here what level of magic is required in order to start the Angelic Art ?

What caution does it dictate ?

This post has been edited by Michael: Jun 12 2005, 01:54 PM

+Quote Post

mediocracy
post Jun 14 2005, 11:42 AM
Post #8

GONE
Group Icon

QUOTE(Michael @ Jun 12 2005, 08:52 PM)
I would like to ask here what level of magic is required in order to start the Angelic Art ?

What caution does it dictate ?

I would suggest that anyone thinking of using the Enochian magick system read 'The Queens Conjurer' by Benjamin Wooley. This book give an account of the life of John Dee and the results of his contacting the 'enochian' entities. Once you have an understanding of the life of Dee it is then up to the individual to decide what level of risk they are willing to accept.

My personal opinion is that anyone who comes to magick with the intention of gaining personal power is set up a path that leads to self destruction, no matter which magick system they choose to study and use.

There is an interesting article in 'Book of Lies' entitles The Enochian Apocalypse written by Donald Tyson. The premise of this article is that the 'angelic' entities are anything but.

This post has been edited by mediocracy: Jun 14 2005, 11:46 AM

+Quote Post

ankhofisis
post Jun 25 2005, 02:12 AM
Post #9

Neophyte
Group Icon

thank you so much for starting this thread. enochian magick is intense and a huge subject. there is actually alot of information in "gems from the equinox." does anyone happen to know the origin of the verses in enochian, or are those given to dee by the angels.

blessings and peace!

This post has been edited by ankhofisis: Jun 25 2005, 02:15 AM

--------------------
93 "Discover your unconditioned will (Thelema) and abide by that law of original source connection alone." (or, "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law.")

93 "Holding the vibration of the original connected oneness in source (Agape) is the law of connection, by holding the vibration of the original connected oneness in source we embody the unconditioned will." (or, "Love is the law, love under will."

Your soul is identicle to god (Shiva,) perfect this very moment!

+Quote Post

Athena
post Jun 25 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #10

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(ankhofisis @ Jun 25 2005, 08:12 AM)
thank you so much for starting this thread. enochian magick is intense and a huge subject. there is actually alot of information in "gems from the equinox." does anyone happen to know the origin of the verses in enochian, or are those given to dee by the angels.

blessings and peace!

If you are meaning the Enochian keys or calls, yes they were given to Dee by the Enochian Entities. If however you mean anything else in the Vision in the Voice, Crowley received that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Athena

--------------------
www.enochian.org &

+Quote Post

ankhofisis
post Aug 17 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #11

Neophyte
Group Icon

Thank you Athena (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
93 "Discover your unconditioned will (Thelema) and abide by that law of original source connection alone." (or, "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law.")

93 "Holding the vibration of the original connected oneness in source (Agape) is the law of connection, by holding the vibration of the original connected oneness in source we embody the unconditioned will." (or, "Love is the law, love under will."

+Quote Post

Athena
post Aug 17 2005, 06:53 PM
Post #12

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(ankhofisis @ Aug 17 2005, 06:36 AM)
Thank you Athena (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Damn, your tag line was so long that I thought that was your post and was thinking you were sort of off topic LOL Np (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Athena

--------------------
www.enochian.org &

+Quote Post

ankhofisis
post Aug 19 2005, 01:28 AM
Post #13

Neophyte
Group Icon

LOL i know, i sort of cut it down a bit! sorry! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/13.gif)

ps- Practical Angel Magic of Dr John Dee's Enochian Tables: Tabularum Bonorum Angelorum Invocationes as Used by Wynn Westcott, Alan Bennett, Reverend Ayto (Hardcover)
by Stephen Skinner, David Rankine is offered on amazon for $40.95 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by ankhofisis: Aug 19 2005, 01:44 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Athena
post Aug 19 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #14

Zelator
Group Icon

Just keep in mind, for anyone that orders the above book that it is based on the GD version of Enochian and not the ORiginal MS. GOod book though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Athena

--------------------
www.enochian.org &

+Quote Post

crimsonvisions
post Dec 12 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #15

Initiate
Group Icon

where is the best place to begin studying enochian magic? any books you would reccomend? What have you had success with?

+Quote Post

bym
post Dec 13 2005, 03:01 AM
Post #16

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Look around. Read. More importantly read the guidelines. Selfstarters are paid more attention to than those who want everything and post nothing but remedial questions. We've a Library. You have access to Google and the already posted threads. Utilize your present situation. Have fun.

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

AlricThomas
post Dec 13 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #17

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Athena @ Aug 19 2005, 11:18 AM)
Just keep in mind, for anyone that orders the above book that it is based on the GD version of Enochian and not the ORiginal MS. GOod book though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Athena

The book by Skinner & Rankine may have been in the hands of some Golden Dawn members, but it don't follow the corrupt system they tried to work. I would recommend staying away from several Enochian books but not this one.
Alric

+Quote Post

Fr. 0
post Jun 3 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #18

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

QUOTE(AlricThomas @ Dec 13 2005, 09:18 PM) *

The book by Skinner & Rankine may have been in the hands of some Golden Dawn members, but it don't follow the corrupt system they tried to work. I would recommend staying away from several Enochian books but not this one.
Alric

So what ones wouldn't you recomend and why if I might ask.

+Quote Post

th0th
post Oct 15 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #19

Neophyte
Group Icon

I've been flipping through "A Beginner's Guide to Enochian Magick" by Donald Tyson. I find Tyson's scholarship refreshing, given that many occultists fail to question their sources or make sense of the original material on their own. He often references Causabon's True and Faithful Relation, and mentions the perspectives of (and issues with) other interpretations of the original documents and earlier works.

I have not yet begun practicing. I have simply studied and begun constructing my ritual props (I have only completed my Sigillum Aemeth so far).

QUOTE(crimsonvisions @ Dec 12 2005, 10:10 PM) *

where is the best place to begin studying enochian magic? any books you would reccomend? What have you had success with?

--------------------
z:.a:. - mucro pondera divinus
[ 61 + 146 = 0 ] : [ ªnode + ªngel = ªur ]
AUMGN for the restless, ARARITA for the Rest.
<< sevenspiration dot vox dot com >> (blog)

+Quote Post

ComaOfLoss
post Oct 16 2010, 12:42 AM
Post #20

Neophyte
Group Icon

I highly recommend our very own Athenas grimoire on enochian. A very warm spirited and personal style text, plus it has lots to offer other books don't. (Personal insight etc). A good read to anyone who's already somewhat familiar with the system.

+Quote Post

Neshamah
post Dec 18 2014, 08:00 AM
Post #21

Neophyte
Group Icon

Enochian Initiation and Enochian Vision Magick are both good (by Frater W.I.T.). They record his own experiences with working the system. He is a Thelemite, however, so all his experiences are interpreted through that particular lens.

Peace out.

--------------------

Neshamah, F.'.R.'.C.'.

IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse