Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 How Does "dedication" Work?, Can you dedicate yourself to more than one patron deity?
Silver Dragon
post Nov 2 2009, 03:16 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Is it possible to have more than one patron god/goddess? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Can a person dedicate themselves to gods/goddesses from different pantheons? (Say, Greek & Egyptian.)

This post has been edited by The Sorceress: Nov 2 2009, 03:17 PM

--------------------
IPB Image Silver Dragon

Follow Me on Facebook

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Hideout
post Nov 2 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

Of course, it all depends on your beliefs. I for one, believe that all gods exist in some form or another. I consider myself a disciple of Anubis, but I also do quite a bit of work with Kali and Ganesha from the Hindu pantheon. And, recently, Anki from the Sumerian pantheon. It's definitely possible to work through multiple pantheons, though, I do know a lot of people who say sticking with one seems to be helpful, as you get to know the gods and goddesses better, but from my experience, it makes no difference.

+Quote Post

Silver Dragon
post Nov 2 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #3

Zelator
Group Icon

Right now, I'm a disciple of Isis. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Laie_58.gif)

At the same time, I'm finding myself increasingly drawn to Hecate.

--------------------
IPB Image Silver Dragon

Follow Me on Facebook

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Nov 2 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #4

Practicus
Group Icon

I am not officially dedicated to any particular God/Goddess at all, but I have wandered through the Greek, Egyptian, Greco-Egyptian, Roman (Greek again?), Sumerian, Hindu, Buddhist (most confusing pantheon), and Norse pantheons at one time or another, and am always drawn to Tehuti/Hermes/Odin/Enki/Hanuman/Mercury(Hermes again?)/(still don't get the buddhist pantheon...) and have felt a sense of these Gods all being sort of expression of the same Being, the holder of Wisdom, the Father of Magic and Words, etc. They each have their own mythology, their own particular flavor, their own sense of expression during communion, inspire the same quality of reverence and thought during prayer/devotionals, and seem to 'talk' in similar ways.

This has led me to a sense of some kind of 'Uber-Pantheon' of sorts which I have not decided whether to dig up an older name for, invent a name for, listen for a name, etc., or what. But what I do feel is that the Gods are greater than any of these individual 'names' really encompasses. If Tehuti/Thoth is the wisdom and magic of the Egyptians, then Hermes is the Wisdom and Magic of the Greeks, Odin the Wisdom and magic of the Norse, etc. And each in their own way even with that pantheon. I'd say the 'male' half as gods of magic always seem to come paired Male and Female, God and Goddess, and above and beyond that I believe there must be a Third aspect that might not always be names but is always there nonetheless; the resolution of Masculine and Feminine.

I am admittedly biased, and less admittedly perhaps chauvanist, in my devotional thought and ritual towards Gods as opposed to Goddesses, so I cannot off hand consider the similarites, if they are there, between Isis and Hecate, but if you are drawn to both, I'll bet there are strong similarities. My philosophy rests largely on the resolution of Paradox, and the validity of two Divine Beings of two differing pantheons is, to me, a paradox, and is resolved by recognizing the commonlity between them as being the 'real' God/dess if you will. In such case, you are still only dedicated to one Goddess, she is simply showing you another face, that you may know her more deeply and profoundly.

In it's extreme, one might suggest that there is only God and One Goddess, and that they are the Masculine and Feminine in all things, in all ways - which naturally follows to a single Divinity of which these two are but faces, but at that point you are Monotheistic and your Divine Being is very far away indeed, in a certain sense, and at the same time woven into your every element of Self as well. I feel that perhaps knowing the God/dess piece-meal like that may very well be one kind of path to Oneness in the end.

Lately i've been considering dedicating myself officially to Thoth-Hermes (or Hermes-Thoth, or just one or the other), but Enki once spoke to me in a vision despite the fact that I did not blend well with the Sumerian current (possibly polluted by my source material in the Necronomicon to be fair), and I didn't dedicate myself to Him, so I do wonder what the operative element is there, which makes up the mind about such a thing.

What lead you to dedicate to Isis, and in what way did you mark your dedication? How does this experience compare to what is drawing you to Hecate? Does Isis (always a silent lady for me, although she is one of few Goddesses I have ever prayed to, her and Bast, both egyptian fancy that! Maybe I'll stick with Thoth...) have anything to say about the matter?

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Silver Dragon
post Nov 3 2009, 04:58 AM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vagrant Dreamer @ Nov 2 2009, 11:22 PM) *

What lead you to dedicate to Isis, and in what way did you mark your dedication?

I feel comfortable channeling Isis's energy (Hecate, not so much at this point. She's a dark goddess -- I'm not quite sure what I would be letting myself in for if I tried to aspect her.)

As for how I exactly did it, I performed a small ceremony. I swore an oath to Isis.

How does this experience compare to what is drawing you to Hecate? Does Isis (always a silent lady for me, although she is one of few Goddesses I have ever prayed to, her and Bast, both egyptian fancy that! Maybe I'll stick with Thoth...) have anything to say about the matter?

Isis hasn't said anything thus far (I'm still trying to resolve my relationship between the two goddesses.)

Speaking of Bast, I've found her to be most vocal!

When she wants something, she lets you know it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I am admittedly biased, and less admittedly perhaps chauvanist, in my devotional thought and ritual towards Gods as opposed to Goddesses, so I cannot off hand consider the similarites, if they are there, between Isis and Hecate, but if you are drawn to both, I'll bet there are strong similarities. My philosophy rests largely on the resolution of Paradox, and the validity of two Divine Beings of two differing pantheons is, to me, a paradox, and is resolved by recognizing the commonlity between them as being the 'real' God/dess if you will. In such case, you are still only dedicated to one Goddess, she is simply showing you another face, that you may know her more deeply and profoundly.

There are similarities (They are both Mother goddesses. They are each also goddesses of magick and sorcery.)

Each has their differences, however (Hecate, along with Demeter and Persephone, is a triple goddess. Hecate is also a goddess of the underworld.)

This post has been edited by The Sorceress: Nov 3 2009, 05:27 AM

--------------------
IPB Image Silver Dragon

Follow Me on Facebook

+Quote Post

Laila
post Dec 1 2013, 03:24 PM
Post #6

Neophyte
Group Icon

I see no reason why you shouldn't dedicate yourself more than one God or Goddess (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

God Seth is my favorite but the most i trust is God Lucifer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by Laila: Dec 1 2013, 03:30 PM

--------------------
http://marsskarlet.weebly.com/

photo GodLucifer_zps72c53be8.png
Was and stay loyal :D to my father..teacher..master...guide.......God.....

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse