I don't wear a robe (birthday suit) [ 19 ] ** [32.76%]
Total Votes: 58
Guests cannot vote 
benrachor
post Jun 24 2006, 02:00 AM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

Do you wear a black or white robe during your magical workings?

--------------------
"Acute sensitiveness is always associated with genius,"
"The power to perceive the Universe accurately,"
"To analyze, coordinate, and judge impressions,"
"Is the foundation of all Great Works."

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

A_Smoking_Fox
post Jun 24 2006, 06:15 AM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

if i could choose, i would like a dark brown/orange robe.
However, i can't seem to find a good looking robe, the ones i found for sale look lame... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
In LVX,
Frater A.V.I.A.F.

+Quote Post

benrachor
post Jun 24 2006, 06:55 AM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(A_Smoking_Fox @ Jun 24 2006, 10:15 PM) *
if i could choose, i would like a dark brown/orange robe.
However, i can't seem to find a good looking robe, the ones i found for sale look lame... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

A Smoking Fox,

May I ask why you would choose those colors?

Cheers,

Student at SAE World HQ
http://www.sae.edu
Australia

--------------------

+Quote Post

Vesna
post Jun 24 2006, 10:27 AM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

I prefer to be in my birthday suit when I do my magical workings. Just feel more comfortable. And sometimes that can make all the difference.

Vesna (IMG:style_emoticons/default/1238.gif)

--------------------
May you always find the help you need and the will to succeed in all you do.

+Quote Post

+ Kinjo -
post Jun 24 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #5

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

I actually have a tailor custom made a pair of robes for my rituals. A black and and a white Tau robe. The white robe even has some sigils embroided into it as described on Greater Keys of Solomon. But in reality, as I mainly do meditations these days, I rarely use them and meditate with nothing but my shorts in my ritual room (IMG:style_emoticons/default/13.gif)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

benrachor
post Jun 24 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #6

Neophyte
Group Icon

I'm just curious about this subject,

Traditionally I would suppose that most would wear black, as that is the stereo-typical garment of working magick.
My Tau is white with a hood and I ordered it from a religious supply store some years ago. (Very expensive too...)
Thank you everyone for your input!

My other question that I would like to propose is why do priests traditionally wear black?

Cheers,

Student at SAE World HQ
Australia

This post has been edited by benrachor: Jun 24 2006, 05:37 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

UnKnown1
post Jun 24 2006, 10:44 PM
Post #7

Smasher666
Group Icon

Black is pretty hard to see in the dark. Back in the days before gun powder it was a bit harder to protect ones self. So perhaps that is why it seems to be tradition that Priests wear black. In ancient times only a true idiot would go out at night in a white robe. Also white is very hard to keep clean.

I wear a black robe because that is what is written in the book of my pagan religious basis. Also though black is cool. Its my favorite color.

A white robe is nice if you wanna call angels. However if you wear a white robe and sit down in a mud puddle it is going to look like you pooped your pants. Worse you may be mistaken for a Klu Klux Klan member. And who wants to be mistaken for one of those a-holes?

So basically my opinion is that white robes suck. Dont be lame like the KKK. Be cool and wear black. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

benrachor
post Jun 25 2006, 12:52 AM
Post #8

Neophyte
Group Icon

Black is cool,

But I only have one for now, so I'm using what tools I have at hand, as I am living overseas at the moment..well I guess it depends on what sea you live over.

I will usually bring colors and or objects, burn incense, ect.. in my ritual space to attract whatever type of entity I'm working.
I kind of just have my essentials, so to speak, with me. And yes I have a heck of a time keeping my robe clean.
I had ordered it from a religious supply store some years ago, I think they are called Alb's.
I mostly work indoor and mostly work the "higher" and some elemental spirits so mine serves it's purpose.
I would consider getting new robes for the different colors elements, could be useful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wandwizard.gif)

Cheers,

Student at SAE World HQ
Australia

--------------------

+Quote Post

mystick
post Jun 25 2006, 01:06 AM
Post #9

Light of Enki
Group Icon

Well I just Got the Orange Shawl that you could see sages wear in India... Mine is kool and has been infused with a special mantra for protection. Now for the Body cover part in tantra it depends on which entities you are going to work with.. ther are black ones/ yellow/ white/orange etc.. but these are not robes.. instead they are like a huge shawl that you have to wrap around your body.. A bit like to what Mahatma Gandhi wore or what you see sages wear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blablabla.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blablabla.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blablabla.gif) .. I wonder if this could be used in Western Evocations?????

--------------------
"The foolish disregard Me, when clad in human semblance, ignorant of My supreme nature, the great Lord of beings"

+Quote Post

eSaNa
post Jun 25 2006, 02:33 AM
Post #10

Neophyte
Group Icon

I use several different coloured robes. Naturally I have the traditional black full length capewhich I use for most things. I also have a dark blue moleskin robe which is heavy and great for outings in winter here. We have the Moonfest here every month and in winter this robe is fantastic. I also have a nice aqua cape for summer. And I am currently working on a burgundy one. I have made them all myself- being a seamstress. I had an order from Germany for a heavy double velvet fully lined robe in bottle green which come up beautifully. Personally I think it is preference, problem for alot of people is finding what they have in mind, quality and the right price. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
IPB ImageSome People are Magick

+Quote Post

UnKnown1
post Jun 27 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #11

Smasher666
Group Icon

QUOTE(benrachor @ Jun 25 2006, 02:52 AM) *
Black is cool,

But I only have one for now, so I'm using what tools I have at hand, as I am living overseas at the moment..well I guess it depends on what sea you live over.

I will usually bring colors and or objects, burn incense, ect.. in my ritual space to attract whatever type of entity I'm working.
I kind of just have my essentials, so to speak, with me. And yes I have a heck of a time keeping my robe clean.
I had ordered it from a religious supply store some years ago, I think they are called Alb's.
I mostly work indoor and mostly work the "higher" and some elemental spirits so mine serves it's purpose.
I would consider getting new robes for the different colors elements, could be useful. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wandwizard.gif)

Cheers,

Student at SAE World HQ
Australia

I went to a few shops where the price for the robes seemed to be outrageous. After all its just a peice of cloth you dont want to pay an arm and leg for it. Finally I ordered a couple of Grim Reaper costumes from a costume supply online. I threw away the stupid gloves and masks and ended up with 2 nice robes for cheap. Take a look at such costume supplys online. They actually have some nice suff for cheap. The expensive crap in occult shops is probably purchased from places like these and marked up 600%. I actually paid quite a bit for a heavy cloak to go on top of the robe but its just for winter if I am outside and dont want to freeze my arse off.

Peace

This post has been edited by smasher666: Jun 27 2006, 06:48 PM

+Quote Post

A_Smoking_Fox
post Jul 4 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #12

Zelator
Group Icon

a brown orange robe just seem nicer to me. i don't like the two extremes of black and white.
Brown is a natural color, a more peacefull color. It means sageness and peace to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
In LVX,
Frater A.V.I.A.F.

+Quote Post

Chorozon
post Jul 4 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #13

Neophyte
Group Icon

is a robe neccesary when summoning a spirit? if so, what needs to be inscribed on it and what must it look like? thought i would ask this question here, since its related

+Quote Post

benrachor
post Jul 5 2006, 01:32 AM
Post #14

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Chorozon @ Jul 5 2006, 11:12 AM) *
is a robe neccesary when summoning a spirit? if so, what needs to be inscribed on it and what must it look like? thought i would ask this question here, since its related

Chorozon,

Ask your questions my friend, thats why I started this topic to get some Q and A. As far as inscribing or stiching ect...I don't have any on my robe, but that is because I use it for various purposes and I'm not locked into any style of practice. My robe is white and I will usually bring in colors and or burn incense to attract the type of entity I'm wanting to work with.

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post

Sabazel
post Jul 5 2006, 06:39 AM
Post #15

Neophyte
Group Icon

The robe I currently use is a set made for me and is that of a 16th century Christian monk. The colour is brownish. It works nicely and doesn't obstruct any movements. Which is very important since it is comfort related en being distracted by itches or such is a nuisance. Still I'm planning to get a silk green robe.

--------------------
www.SpiritualMagus.nl
My own dutch based website that covers paganism, traditions, religion, occult, paranormal and more

+Quote Post

Alafair
post Jul 5 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #16

Zelator
Group Icon

My robe is pale blue wool/cottonmix from India with holes in it. It works well as the colour is immaterial. What works should be inside the robe.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/angel.gif)

+Quote Post

Acid09
post Jul 5 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #17

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

I generally don't wear a robe and when I do its black with red lining. And I don't generally go around naked because in the winter here its cold and the summer there's bugs. THe only reason I would wear a robe in the first place is because its like a mask. A mask that to me signifies a gise of magick ritual. I would wear it only to represent my mentallity to take on a magickal gise. But wearinga robe is not specific of any type of ritual, just that I am taking on a ritual mentallity.

This post has been edited by Acid09: Jul 5 2006, 03:47 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Jul 6 2006, 02:40 AM
Post #18

Zelator
Group Icon

Being Gardnerian, we usually work skyclad, but when there are guests or some other reason, we wear robes. Mine is hooded, dark brown, based on the style of robe worn by medievel monks. I don't sew but one of my covenmates does and we bartered our services. I think I let her take a workshop with me in exchange. I looked at the robes available on the internet, but they weren't exactly what I wanted. Sometimes barter is a good way to get things like robes or tools, but it is definitely easier when you are a member of a group of people.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

Vesna
post Jul 19 2006, 10:04 AM
Post #19

Neophyte
Group Icon

One place I have found that has some very nice robes is a web site called www.alivans.com they sell wandsa robes and all other sort of things. They have some beautifull robes though. I am looking at one there for myself. I don't usually use one, because I prefer sky clad, but I thought it might be nice to buy one if I ever decide to use one. But I thought I might share where I am looking at one for myself.

Vesna (IMG:style_emoticons/default/witch.gif)

--------------------
May you always find the help you need and the will to succeed in all you do.

+Quote Post

Tyler Durden
post Aug 8 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #20

Zelator
Group Icon

Gray, of course...

here is another good site for robes and cloaks... I really like the elven vests.

www.paganshopping.com

Enjoy.

+Quote Post

Eroscupidonamor
post Aug 10 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #21

Zelator
Group Icon

White can be used in any kind of work...it would be strange to wear black in an operation of light,love etc...
but black is good too... a specially at some sort of evocations.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evil2.gif) !
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/angel.gif) !

--------------------
Exorcizo igitur te creatura!

+Quote Post

Frater F.A.M.E.
post Aug 17 2006, 06:38 AM
Post #22

Zelator
Group Icon

I don't wear a robe, just my everyday clothes. The less prep, the better; though in the beginning, I needed and wanted a certain formality, so I had a "sacred jumpsuit", LOL!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I also had a "Sacred T-Shirt", lol! Hell, I still came to know that I'm sacred, lol!

Occasionally I might go sky clad during the summer (though I havn't done so since the summer before last). It feels gooooood, lol!

-F.F.

This post has been edited by Frater F.A.M.E.: Aug 17 2006, 06:57 AM

--------------------
Have you handled your business today?
IPB Image
Make the right move.

+Quote Post

Radiant Star
post Aug 17 2006, 09:40 AM
Post #23

Theoricus
Group Icon

I have two sets of wizard wear, both have long black dresses and long black robes, one set has white embroidery around the sleeve edges and this set has a matching shawl with white embroidery on one edge. Known as the 'best' set and the 'daily' set.

I am looking to get a white robe too and maybe a red one. I don't wear them often, but being black they are useful for covering up light clothes and do put me in the right frame of mind for magick.

+Quote Post

Darkmage
post Nov 11 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #24

Snarkmeister
Group Icon

Neither. For me it's everyday street clothes. Since all of them are black, I suppose I'd fit into the 'black robe' camp on a technicality, but I don't think in mind they had knit turtlenecks, Gap jeans, and knee-high boots in mind when they wrote that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Besides, I live in the desert, so it can be nice and warm (or downright hot at 110F+ in the summer) during the day, then at night it gets *damned* cold. 60F may not seem chilly to most, but when there's no humidity in the air you'll freeze fast. Clothing = protection from the elements.

This post has been edited by Darkmage: Nov 11 2006, 07:19 PM

--------------------
As the water grinds the stone,
We rise and fall
As our ashes turn to dust,
We shine like stars...
--Covenant, "Bullet"

+Quote Post

ClockKeeper
post Nov 11 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #25

Neophyte
Group Icon

I'm not into CM, but I would most likely wear a birthday suit just to see the expression on who ever I summoned.

+Quote Post

Jesse Miller
post Nov 16 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #26

Initiate
Group Icon

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/Home.aspx has some robes and stuff.. this is where I got my black monk robe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilB.gif)

+Quote Post

SPoison
post Nov 16 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #27

Zelator
Group Icon

I wear black because it is the color I feel most comfertable in. It gives me a sense of saftey and serenity.

--------------------
A blind person who sees is better than a seeing person who is blind. - Iranian (on wisdom)

Feel your center of power... Feel the world around you... Close your eyes and expect the unexpected...

Knowledge is universal

+Quote Post

Pilgrim Child
post Nov 30 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #28

Neophyte
Group Icon

I prefer naked (except for a little scented oil) as it gives me most freedom and comfort,
although i find that a robe can help as a mood enhancer and focuser.

As there are certain benefits to making ones own magical instruments,
putting together your own robe can charge it with a lot of energy.
the 'Servants of the Light' website gives instructions on how to make your own robe.
(and at the end of the day its also the cheaper option)

http://www.servantsofthelight.org/knowledge/makingrobes.html

+Quote Post

Thorn
post Jan 10 2007, 12:37 AM
Post #29

Zelator
Group Icon

I use a black cloak for magick work. Black is generally the color I feel most comfortable in. Although I would also like to have a dark purple cloak or robe, because purple in my opinion heightens magickal and psychic ability, and is still a nice dark color.

PS - Vesna: Nice display picture;)

+Quote Post

The Mad Arab
post Jan 10 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #30

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

[i think it pretty much depends on what magical working and when..

obviously for crisis magick ( u know the shit that just cant wait ) u are stuck with what u are or are not wearing at the time, if one is on the bus it is hardly practical to say.. hang on entity that is using this person to annoy me while i change into something more becoming...

for the rest.. i am happy in a pair of old trackies.. what ever makes u comfortable..

but if i had to go for the robe look

something in a silky black, japanese/chinese style with lots of gold and some red..

such a clotheshorse (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blablabla.gif)

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
2 Pages 1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse