Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 The Priest And The Magi
Mchawi
post Aug 29 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

Fancy title, could write a book based off of it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

After my time with the G.D I'm hoping to join a priestly class/school to better help them and their cause but after attending their meetings and I'm quite proud to say being asked to join (strokes ego) I have been wondering as to the diffrence between myself and my priestly compadres, between what I do now and what ever it is they get up to .lol. They use the tree of life but have a very much diffrent understanding of it all, they don't use the paths for some reason but variations aside its obvious that as much work a person does as a G.D'ist that they aren't priests... they're magicians, I sit with them and although I probably do more work than they do I am a magician and they're priests.

Guess that its in the docrine, they are of a certain school of understanding and relate to things from wthin that understanding whereas I am ''free'' to attach which and what I will to my practice as long as it falls within a certain relationship with everything else, their studies include relating to the world from a certain religious view point, mine does not. Still... I'm not sure about the rest of the grades ahead of mine but I'm quite sure that a practicioner could stick to a Juedo christian outline throughout the grades, at least for the majority of it... does that then make said person a, ''priest''?

Can't quite put my finger on it, sitting with them I feel almost lesser than they are, kind of suits me fine as I like to have broad understanding of things, not one to be stapled to a view point anyway... to get to the point;

Whats the diffrence between a Priest and a Magician?

Peace
(+) M (-)

This post has been edited by Mchawi: Aug 29 2008, 09:33 AM

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Dreamer
post Dec 28 2008, 07:06 AM
Post #2

Neophyte
Group Icon

There are strong differences between a Magician and a Priest.

First of all, remember the O.T.O. structure. Depending on the grades of the members, they receive a corresponding ordination in the E.G.C., and the O.T.O. isn't the only order that I know that holds an ecclesiastical arm. My perception is that an ecclesiastical body is perceiving things from the aspect of Tipharet, and the achievement of a true Tipharet state is its purpose, while the magician isn't only concerned about this aspect. The reason why these two seem to be working together is that the one sees things from the end of the road, while the other one from the beginning and these two aspects are combined. A magician is an occultist, performing in an active way, while priesthood is more like mysticism and it works more in a passive way. I would give the allegory that the one acts according to the forces of the Pillar of Severity and the other of the Pillar of Mercy (which may not be correct practically, but I think it is a good example to understand the intentions of their workings).

--------------------
"We shall dive down through black abysses...
and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever"

H.P.Lovecraft

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse