Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Ninjitsu
Jayakanth
post Jul 7 2008, 01:52 AM
Post #1

Initiate
Group Icon

Hi ppl. I'm new here. I just wanted to ask if u all knew of any place where i can get information on ninjitsu stamina training exercises. Yup. I wanna develop my physical running stamina. any help woulb be appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Acid09
post Jul 8 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #2

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

As I understand it only three places teach authentic ninjitsu - A place in Japan, somewhere in California and a spot in Europe - I don't know where exactly. Unless you are near those locations I would think ninjitsu would be the best martial art to study. It is one of the most widely sought martial arts. But that only means there are lots of knock offs and fonies who don't teach the real thing. Ninjitsu philosophy is still around though. I'm sure the web is full of related topics. A book I have that I found pretty interesting is called "Mind of the Ninja". I don't know the name of the author though.

Alternatively you might consider a different martial art like Kung Fu or Kav Maga. Again, like ninjitsu, you should be careful who you study under and make sure they are legit as both are also widely sought styles with relatively few outlets for authentic training.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Matthew Kelly
post Jul 9 2008, 05:36 AM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

Look for a school that teaches Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

The Bujinkan is an umbrella organization who can teach you 3 genuine ryu-ha of ninjutsu, and I've had the pleasure of studying under some of the shidoshi of this system. It's not easy to find them because there are few licensed teachers in the U.S. thus far, but the numbers grow each year. It's not true that you can only learn ninjutsu in a few places... it is true, however, that you have to be prepared to search. And spend a lot of money on gas getting to and from the classes... unless you happen to live in the vicinity of a Bujinkan dojo.

--------------------
Regards,
Matthew

-----------------------------

IPB Image
Myspace.com/Dehumanation - Death / Black / Industrial Metal

.:Order of the Necronomicon | Disciples of Enki:.

+Quote Post

Jayakanth
post Jul 11 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #4

Initiate
Group Icon

Thank you. I don't want to learn ninjitsu actually. I just want to know wat type of training they do. I heard they have a lot of stamina. Any place i could get information on this?

+Quote Post

Matthew Kelly
post Jul 12 2008, 01:03 AM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Jayakanth @ Jul 11 2008, 10:57 PM) *
Thank you. I don't want to learn ninjitsu actually. I just want to know wat type of training they do. I heard they have a lot of stamina. Any place i could get information on this?

Google "Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu" and go to all of the dojos' sites. They'll give you an idea of what's done, generally, but nothing is going to teach you about it except going to a class. Even just one. That'll give you a much better idea than reading it on some sites because to be honest each person has his or her style of training, developed over time, and there is no set in stone method of transmission in terms of the ryu-ha Hatsumi can teach.

The training is on so many levels that it's really impossible to encapsulate and set forward in text.

--------------------
Regards,
Matthew

-----------------------------

IPB Image
Myspace.com/Dehumanation - Death / Black / Industrial Metal

.:Order of the Necronomicon | Disciples of Enki:.

+Quote Post

Lonerobin
post Jul 14 2008, 02:02 AM
Post #6

Initiate
Group Icon

Try running with light leg weights, and a weight belt or vest, you can get from martial arts mags, make run with tracksuit bottoms on to keep your legs warm just watch boxers how they train, none of those silly little pants or tops, and stretch before and after, run on grass or sand if you can, hope this helps.

--------------------
May your spirit listeth where the wind bloweth.

+Quote Post

eternal ginja
post Sep 18 2008, 03:11 AM
Post #7

Neophyte
Group Icon

lest we forget the most closely related sport that has similar movements to ninjitsu... parkour.

honestly just do what you feel you should... remember that the creators of ninja and samurai and all other arts alike were just regular guys like you and me. they just had a passion, asked themselves a lot of ? and let NOTHING get in their way.

dont know if any of this helped

--------------------
smile kid it could be worse

squee's so sad

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Sep 18 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #8

Zelator
Group Icon

Finding the right teacher is far more important than the particular style. You might want to look more closely at martial arts that focus more on your main area of interest, like striking, or grappling, or better still, a balanced mixture of the two. But there may be several styles that fit your needs. Then you have to have a close look at the teacher. A good teacher ought to be able to walk the walk, as well as talk the talk. He/she should be able to perform the art at a high level, but also be able to communicate that knowledge clearly. Personality is also important. The teacher should inspire liking or respect. But if there is a choice between a teacher who has a high degree of knowledge and one who is likeable, choose the one who is knowledgable.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

eternal ginja
post Sep 18 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #9

Neophyte
Group Icon

*nodding head in approvement*

only thing i can say is that the journey in finding any real master is always a lot harder than it looks. and the journey into even being trained by any master is even more terrafiying still. so i guess it depends on how bad you want it. i still think the only one who can teach you is truly you. but i believe in a different aspect of life than most. everyone has their own querks.

--------------------
smile kid it could be worse

squee's so sad

+Quote Post

Kath
post Oct 11 2009, 05:40 AM
Post #10

Zelator
Group Icon

In watching different martial arts styles, I've noticed that students of ninjitsu seem to have a superior sense of balance & poise. From that I could infer that they probably spend a great deal of their training in methods which probably don't have an obvious 'fighting' application. They also seem to have a really superb sense of pressure points and ways of getting at them.

I have also heard it said by a student of ninjitsu, that the best modern embodiment of the true spirit of a 'ninja' is probably a highly skilled sniper. Ninjas have always used stealth, and the most advanced technology available to them. And their 'function' was always as an assassin. This student said that "traditional ninjitsu" is conceptually at odds with it's own original underlying purpose. Sort of like collecting antique muskets. A person could do this out of a sense of history or tradition, but this interest is somewhat of an abandonment of the original purpose of the muskets. Also, that modern ninjitsu has become more of a 'martial arts style', where people compete fairly and amicably. Where in martial arts competition, everything is above-board, point based, no 'dirty' tricks... whereas a traditional ninja would throw sand in their opponent's eyes, or try to kill him silently before he even realized he was in a fight.

--------------------
‘Εκατερινη
IPB Image
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Audaces fortuna iuvat

+Quote Post

blackritual0
post Jan 26 2010, 01:20 PM
Post #11

Initiate
Group Icon

QUOTE(Acid09 @ Jul 8 2008, 06:14 PM) *

As I understand it only three places teach authentic ninjitsu - A place in Japan, somewhere in California and a spot in Europe - I don't know where exactly. Unless you are near those locations I would think ninjitsu would be the best martial art to study. It is one of the most widely sought martial arts. But that only means there are lots of knock offs and fonies who don't teach the real thing. Ninjitsu philosophy is still around though. I'm sure the web is full of related topics. A book I have that I found pretty interesting is called "Mind of the Ninja". I don't know the name of the author though.

Alternatively you might consider a different martial art like Kung Fu or Kav Maga. Again, like ninjitsu, you should be careful who you study under and make sure they are legit as both are also widely sought styles with relatively few outlets for authentic training.

Im pretty sure the place in california is located in LA, isn't it? One of Stephen Hayes schools i believe, kinda a shame that there's so many fakes :/

+Quote Post

Silver Dragon
post Jan 27 2010, 12:07 AM
Post #12

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Kath @ Oct 11 2009, 06:40 AM) *

I have also heard it said by a student of ninjitsu, that the best modern embodiment of the true spirit of a 'ninja' is probably a highly skilled sniper. Ninjas have always used stealth, and the most advanced technology available to them. And their 'function' was always as an assassin.

Ninjas have also traditionally been spies as well as assassins.

Cross a sniper with a Navy SEAL (with an Army Ranger and a Marine LRRP trooper mixed in for good measure) and you'll have what essentially amounts to a modern ninja.

A lot of mythology has grown up around the ninja. Make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for (lest you have any romanticized notions as to what the training actually entails.)

This post has been edited by The Sorceress: Jan 27 2010, 12:12 AM

--------------------
IPB Image Silver Dragon

Follow Me on Facebook

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Jan 27 2010, 02:27 AM
Post #13

Zelator
Group Icon

Very true. There is also a lot of mythology that has grown up around the Navy Seals, Rangers and Marines. None is highly rated compared to the elite of most developed countries. Being that ninjitsu has always traditionally been covert and illegal most of the times, it would be easy to make false claims about. People could claim to be of a valid but hidden lineage. Also they could make claims about the effectiveness of secret techniques. If you asked them to demonstrate the technique, they could say no, otherwise it wouldn't be a secret. It is like claims about the Dim Mak, the death touch. Some people say it is real, some say it is just a story.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Acid09
post Jan 27 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #14

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

As I understand the Dim Mak it works by opening an embilism in the temporal artery of the brain and a person basically slowly hemorages in their brain and dies within 3 days. I also thought the Dim Mak was associated with another form of martial arts (I think kung fu actually), not Ninjitsu. I'm sure Ninjitsu has its own version(s) of a death touch though.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Jan 28 2010, 03:09 AM
Post #15

Zelator
Group Icon

I didn't actually say that Dim Mak was associated with ninjitsu. But likely ninjitsu does have it. I was just using Dim Mak as an example of martial arts secrecy. It is difficult to know how it works exactly. I had heard it explained in terms of energy. But from what I can recall, it is done to the chest. There may be variations on it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

plainsight
post Apr 9 2010, 07:34 AM
Post #16

Zelator
Group Icon

I've heard of running kung from a library book, its not ninjitsu though. I think it was like 15 percent of body weights added to your legs or something.

+Quote Post

th0th
post May 11 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #17

Neophyte
Group Icon

Actually, they show you how to do it at the end of Kill Bill 2. Just watch the final confrontation between Uma Thurman and David Carradine in slow motion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(Goibniu @ Jan 28 2010, 02:09 AM) *

I didn't actually say that Dim Mak was associated with ninjitsu. But likely ninjitsu does have it. I was just using Dim Mak as an example of martial arts secrecy. It is difficult to know how it works exactly. I had heard it explained in terms of energy. But from what I can recall, it is done to the chest. There may be variations on it.

--------------------
z:.a:. - mucro pondera divinus
[ 61 + 146 = 0 ] : [ ªnode + ªngel = ªur ]
AUMGN for the restless, ARARITA for the Rest.
<< sevenspiration dot vox dot com >> (blog)

+Quote Post

Silver Dragon
post May 11 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #18

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(th0th @ May 11 2010, 04:46 PM) *

Actually, they show you how to do it at the end of Kill Bill 2. Just watch the final confrontation between Uma Thurman and David Carradine in slow motion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It's probably the "Hollywood Version" (Read: It doesn't work IRL).

--------------------
IPB Image Silver Dragon

Follow Me on Facebook

+Quote Post

th0th
post Oct 15 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #19

Neophyte
Group Icon

A bit late, but I wanted to make it clear that I was joking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE(The Sorceress @ May 11 2010, 07:29 PM) *

It's probably the "Hollywood Version" (Read: It doesn't work IRL).

--------------------
z:.a:. - mucro pondera divinus
[ 61 + 146 = 0 ] : [ ªnode + ªngel = ªur ]
AUMGN for the restless, ARARITA for the Rest.
<< sevenspiration dot vox dot com >> (blog)

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse