Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 The Tao Of Zen, The Way of Presence
Praxis
post Nov 15 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Mage
Group Icon

I have learned that Zen (without the religious variations of Buddhism) is the perfect complement to my Magickal work.

Does anyone else also include Zen as an integral part of their lives?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Nov 15 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

In some ways, yes. Zen is the Japanese form of what is known as Chan Buddhism in China. It is really a fusion of Buddhism and Taoism/Daoism. I tend to incorporate Taoism as a regular part of my life.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

Praxis
post Nov 16 2011, 05:58 AM
Post #3

Mage
Group Icon

With regard to the historical development of it as a formalized practice with various techniques and schools, Zen seems to me to be the love child of Buddhism and Taoism, Goibniu - in the sense of being the evolutionary combination of the best of both, without being exclusively either.

However, with regard to the essence of it, Zen to me simply is about fully being present.

I have learned that the more presence I apply for working magick, the more I succeed with my magickal work.
And the less present I am when working magick - well, it makes so much as establishing the sphere a struggle.

As The Way of Presence (which also and accurately can be expressed as: The Art of Nowness), Zen also provides me with the best practice to engage after working magick - because Nowness ensures that when the ritual is done, I leave the working in the past and focus on discerning results during the course of daily life.

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Nov 16 2011, 09:35 AM
Post #4

Practicus
Group Icon

Zen in that sense plays a role for me on a daily basis as well. Over time I practice less and less ritual magic, and focus more on the magic of presence; being available to and aware of the present moment as often as possible, in order to live a life as integrated with the flow of energy as I can be. I find that when I have more consistent intuitive and psychic experiences when I am able to maintain that presence, and I use those experiences both to assist my other magical work in manifesting (that is to say, I am aware of the nudge my own magical work gives me and can cooperate instead of allow myself to be driven) and to navigate towards my other goals instinctively.

Zen is of great utility to any endeavor.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Praxis
post Nov 16 2011, 10:29 AM
Post #5

Mage
Group Icon

Since my purpose for Magickal work is focused on personal growth (theurgy) - instead of trying to be the "Great and Powerful Oz!" hurling spells around for sex and riches, and/or waging ostensible "magic warfare" with enemies - I've also noticed that the more I actually grow, then the less ritual work I do.

Oh, sure, when something is off I get on it.
And yeah, I find that ritually landscaping the inner-verse can be both very entertaining and educational.

Yet I increasingly notice that as the soul sculpting progresses, the need for repeatedly summoning, invoking, evoking, banishing, and otherwise ritually magick tinkering with the dynamics of my inner-ecology has become far less than what it was when first getting started with The Art. To make a physical comparison, it's parallel with having reached the point with working out at the gym where it's maintenance with appropriate corrections, and not so much a super weightloss / muscle gain focused routine.

Developing progressive mastery with Zen is the means by which I apply the results of my soul sculpting through relationships with others.

So I understand what you mean, Vagrant Dreamer.

This post has been edited by Praxis: Nov 16 2011, 01:02 PM

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse