Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Magic Circle For Meditation, Could this help?
greenlantern153
post May 29 2013, 03:39 AM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

I've been practicing Vipassana on and off for a while now, and I've noticed that whenever I keep my practice constant on a daily basis, I seem to receive a 'flow' of metaphysical insight, on an almost daily basis. The reason I practice Vipassana is because I want enlightenment, which I understand to be an awakening to the true nature of reality. So receiving insight can only mean that I'm moving in the right direction.

What I'm wondering is whether or not the construction of a magic circle to meditate in, that is consecrated specifically for the practice of Vipassana, could enhance the process of enlightenment. Has anyone attempted this? Does meditation within a magic circle of any kind alter the experience of meditation? And, what energies and symbols do you think would be most appropriate to include into the circle? All I can think of that might be appropriate is the element of akasha / spirit, as well as symbols that represent the spirit of Buddha.

--------------------
Life is profound.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post May 29 2013, 05:52 AM
Post #2

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(Green Lantern @ May 29 2013, 05:39 AM) *

I've been practicing Vipassana on and off for a while now, and I've noticed that whenever I keep my practice constant on a daily basis, I seem to receive a 'flow' of metaphysical insight, on an almost daily basis. The reason I practice Vipassana is because I want enlightenment, which I understand to be an awakening to the true nature of reality. So receiving insight can only mean that I'm moving in the right direction.

What I'm wondering is whether or not the construction of a magic circle to meditate in, that is consecrated specifically for the practice of Vipassana, could enhance the process of enlightenment. Has anyone attempted this? Does meditation within a magic circle of any kind alter the experience of meditation? And, what energies and symbols do you think would be most appropriate to include into the circle? All I can think of that might be appropriate is the element of akasha / spirit, as well as symbols that represent the spirit of Buddha.

Vipassana is subtle technique that is easily overshadowed, so much so that in a ten day retreat you are asked not to do any other practice while you are there. Anyone wishing to attend a 4+ month retreat is asked to for go all other forms of practice for a year beforehand. Really, it's a very specialized technique of meditation which does not lend itself well to additions at all. The idea is to watch the mind as it reacts to itself and other things without the distraction. Even the slightest perception of the senses diverts ones attention away from the task. Much more so when you actively use the mind. Casting a circle though a small act requires one to engage the mind with symbols, concepts, ideas, energy, form, intent, ritual practice, the associations with those things and then the circle is a distraction in itself - being an energy and form that is linked to you and available even when the eyes are closed.

For a while I would cast a circle when I was meditating with a different technique but found the results less helpful than without a circle. I find circles draw the attention too much for most practice. Now, with energetic meditations (chigong, neigong) I often cast a circle because the meditation is active enough to keep my attention absorbed - it therefore dose not drift to the circle.

If what you are doing now is providing you with a stream of insight then there is no reason to kergigger with it. Let it be and carry on as before.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse