Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 French Satanism, Satanism before LaVey?
monkman418
post Jul 22 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #1

Zelator
Group Icon

I was surprised recently to hear that, before LaVey came along, Satanism *may* have been practiced in France.

My source cites the 1891 novel "La-Bas," (trans. "The Damned) by J.K. Huysmans, which describes the practice of Satanism in that period-- especially describing in detail the "black mass." He asserts that the novel is based on factual happenings.

Now, it could be that "La-Bas" was a fictional invention entirely. But I haven't read it, and I don't know.

Does anyone have any evidence either way?

This post has been edited by monkman418: Jul 22 2009, 11:05 PM

--------------------
MonkMan418
---------------------------------
"It sometimes strikes me that the whole of science is a piece of impudence; that nature can afford to ignore our impertinent interference. If our monkey mischief should ever reach the point of blowing up the earth by decomposing an atom, and even annihilated the sun himself, I cannot really suppose that the universe would turn a hair.” --- Aleister Crowley

“We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special."
--- Stephen Hawking

Therefore, God is a monkey.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Goibniu
post Jul 23 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

From what I remember, some of the French nobles used to play act with Black Masses, using nude women as altars before the French Revolution. There was also the Hellfire club in Britain, and probably other groups from time to time back to the middle ages. I think that Ben Franklin was involved in one of those groups while an ambassador. It seems inevitable that if the church is repressive, there will be some people who mock and parody it. But I doubt that these people took this form of satanism seriously as religion. More likely it was just another excuse for getting women naked and having orgies. Anton LeVey didn't originate satanism, he just created another version of it.

--------------------
Don't worry. It'll only seem kinky the first time.

+Quote Post

Hermetic668
post Jul 25 2009, 12:59 AM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Jul 23 2009, 12:04 AM) *

There's a book that's probably still on the Guttenberg Project website:

DEVIL-WORSHIP IN FRANCE
OR
THE QUESTION OF LUCIFER
A RECORD OF THINGS SEEN AND HEARD IN THE
SECRET SOCIETIES ACCORDING TO THE
EVIDENCE OF INITIATES
BY
ARTHUR EDWARD WAITE
“The first in this plot was Lucifer.”—Thomas Vaughan
LONDON
GEORGE REDWAY

I can't vouch for any accuracy therein - it's in my ever-growing "Need to read this" stack.

There's also evidence that it didn't take much to be "Satanic" in earlier times. The Cathari, for example, who seem to have practiced a form of Gnosticism. The Brethren of the Free Spirit (who were soft of proto-Protestants, hence the Heresy of the Free Spirit).

Anyway, maye that will be of some help. I susepct, however, that it's just a elaboration/expose on the guys Goibniu mentions.

Best,
Hermetic668

--------------------
Fear not any man; fear not thineself; remember that fear is failure and the forerunner of failure. Be thou therefore without fear, for in the heart of the coward virtue abideth not.

+Quote Post

Xenos
post Jun 22 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #4

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(monkman418 @ Jul 23 2009, 12:04 AM) *

I was surprised recently to hear that, before LaVey came along, Satanism *may* have been practiced in France.

My source cites the 1891 novel "La-Bas," (trans. "The Damned) by J.K. Huysmans, which describes the practice of Satanism in that period-- especially describing in detail the "black mass." He asserts that the novel is based on factual happenings.

Now, it could be that "La-Bas" was a fictional invention entirely. But I haven't read it, and I don't know.

Before LaVey came along there was even a Satanic Coven here in the USA!

LaVey popularized his form of Atheistic Satanism(though I find it had to call yourself something when you deny belief in the being attachted to it,sorta like..oh i'm a christian but I don't beleive in Christ 0_o<---- look i gave someone when they told me that one).

The fact of the matter is no matter how much the LaVeyans try to change the definition,Satanists before LaVEy cam eon the scene where all Traditional/theistic so some degree or another in their beliefs!

+Quote Post

grim789
post Jun 23 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

I would assume that it was practiced long before LaVey perhaps he was the only one that really got more attention and got noticed more. I cannot say i have heard anything before LaVey came along although im sure there is some information somewhere out there on it. Sorry i could't be more help i would be interested in this myself.

My assumption is that laVey got his ideas from somewhere perhaps this is some of the places. Interesting topic though.

--------------------
When the devil cries in agony who then comes to his aide.

+Quote Post

Faustus
post Sep 26 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #6

Unregistered

In getting my M.A., I took a few courses in the history of the French Revolution and the Napoleonic period.

Indeed, many nobles during the Enlightenment performed the "Black Mass." It was an early attempt to undo societal-religious programming inflicted on them by the Catholic and Protestant Churches.

As the French were by-in-large Catholics, the Black Masses performed were parodies of the Catholic Mass, even using stolen Eucharist wafers to mock and blaspheme.

There are many books on the subject and many more are in the works.

Good luck and happy hunting!

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse