Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 Battle Magick, Just a little question..
Marshall
post Aug 5 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

Hello, how are you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Alright, so I was reading this book "PsyberMagick" by Peter J. Carrol, it is a very interesting book, very complete and the art is so simple, yet so perfect.

But then I found this topic about using Magick in a "Magickal Battle" something about creating shields, and emotional attacks to the other person, and that usually these battles are done with the porpuse of finding something!

What is this exactly? I mean, are these battles done in the material plane?
or are they like some kind of Astral Plane showdown?

Thank you very much for your attention, I know my question is stupid, but still, just wanted to get out of the doubt.
also, i think battles should be done directly, like strenghting your soul and your body and your mind, instead of your ability to aim curses at people.
You'd be able to defend yourself straight ahead, instead of hiding in a room, and you will be healthy!

Martial arts are like the only Battle Magick I know, and I think its more of an Inner battle with yourself and your limits!

Thanks again.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Dancing Coyote
post Aug 6 2011, 02:58 AM
Post #2

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Marshall @ Aug 5 2011, 10:33 AM) *

Hello, how are you? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Alright, so I was reading this book "PsyberMagick" by Peter J. Carrol, it is a very interesting book, very complete and the art is so simple, yet so perfect.

But then I found this topic about using Magick in a "Magickal Battle" something about creating shields, and emotional attacks to the other person, and that usually these battles are done with the porpuse of finding something!

What is this exactly? I mean, are these battles done in the material plane?
or are they like some kind of Astral Plane showdown?

Thank you very much for your attention, I know my question is stupid, but still, just wanted to get out of the doubt.
also, i think battles should be done directly, like strenghting your soul and your body and your mind, instead of your ability to aim curses at people.
You'd be able to defend yourself straight ahead, instead of hiding in a room, and you will be healthy!

Martial arts are like the only Battle Magick I know, and I think its more of an Inner battle with yourself and your limits!

Thanks again.

meditate until you can feel your aura, and you can visualize how to use energy this way as a full bodied thing. The energy you'll be using starts as an experiment so try and use a real world example to create a shield. My teacher always made sure I didn't layer my physical shielding because that's a bad idea, but you can layer house shielding for different effects. Start with a chi ball and try to visualize what it is you're making and (when satisfied) apply it to your whole body via meditation.

--------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced form of magick will appear indistinguishable from science"

+Quote Post

Marshall
post Aug 6 2011, 07:52 AM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dancing Coyote @ Aug 6 2011, 04:58 AM) *

meditate until you can feel your aura, and you can visualize how to use energy this way as a full bodied thing. The energy you'll be using starts as an experiment so try and use a real world example to create a shield. My teacher always made sure I didn't layer my physical shielding because that's a bad idea, but you can layer house shielding for different effects. Start with a chi ball and try to visualize what it is you're making and (when satisfied) apply it to your whole body via meditation.

Thank you...but I already knew this..haha my question was what are these magick battles... I studied already about shields and fusetsus ! But still, thanks for replying ;D

+Quote Post

Dancing Coyote
post Aug 6 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #4

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Marshall @ Aug 6 2011, 06:52 AM) *

Thank you...but I already knew this..haha my question was what are these magick battles... I studied already about shields and fusetsus ! But still, thanks for replying ;D

Well they don't happen very often. And if you think you're in one you're probably not.

--------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced form of magick will appear indistinguishable from science"

+Quote Post

fatherjhon
post Aug 6 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #5

Taoist Mystic
Group Icon

QUOTE(Dancing Coyote @ Aug 6 2011, 09:28 PM) *

Well they don't happen very often. And if you think you're in one you're probably not.

While I am among the first to groan when someone asks how to pull a psychic whammy on an attacker, Marshall seems to be asking more for general explanation about what psychic shields are good for and in what manner they might be employed. Although a qualification is needed first. As far as I am aware these battles or mostly figments of over active imaginations. Most people do not go around tossing off psychic attacks like a thug trying to mug your psyche. That being said, most people do go around tossing off psychic detritus and energy, and anyone who has ever tried to make you do something or just got you in a foul mood has asserted themselves in a psychic and/or energetic way. Therefore, you come into conflict with someone else. If you wish to look at it like a battle, then it is fought on all planes (physical, emotional, physic, astral) just like you exist on all planes. In that sense you need a shield if you start to notice it simply because it is rather hard to be around some people without one. Too much stimulation is very distracting and people toss off a lot of detritus. Aside from that and establishing a space for a ritual there are few uses for a shield.

As to what someone might try to find, well that is harder to answer. Most people are really, really bad at lying. Most don't even try and will tell you if you just ask the right questions or tip you off by what they do. I have trouble imagining a scenario where a Magus wages a fully realized assault on another Magus just to find out something. Partly because we meet so infrequently in person and most are too calm for that, but also because divination is much simpler. You might run into that sort of thing when you summon a spirit though. Some forms of shamanism deal with consuming in one sense or another a spirit and some of the Goetian Spirits will try to assert control in a way that might resemble a battle.

--------------------
Cosmic consciousness is devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity exists in notion....
We contemplate that reality in which everything exists, to which everything belongs,
from which everything has emerged, which is the cause of everything and which is everything....
The light of [this] self-knowledge alone illumines all experiences. It shines by its own light.
This inner light appears to be outside and to illumine external objects.

-Sage Vasishtha

+Quote Post

Imperial Arts
post Aug 7 2011, 01:16 AM
Post #6

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(fatherjhon @ Aug 6 2011, 07:24 PM) *

Most don't even try and will tell you if you just ask the right questions or tip you off by what they do. I have trouble imagining a scenario where a Magus wages a fully realized assault on another Magus just to find out something.

He is probably referring to this:

"Counting Coup" by Phil Hine

One of the best bits of advice I ever heard any magcian give about magical combat was this:

"If you realy think that guy is a problem, just kick his ass."

Somewhat more politely, in the same vein, comes from the Edda: "Against witches, use steel."

--------------------

+Quote Post

Dancing Coyote
post Aug 8 2011, 03:12 AM
Post #7

Zelator
Group Icon

QUOTE(Imperial Arts @ Aug 7 2011, 12:16 AM) *

He is probably referring to this:

"Counting Coup" by Phil Hine

One of the best bits of advice I ever heard any magcian give about magical combat was this:

"If you realy think that guy is a problem, just kick his ass."

Somewhat more politely, in the same vein, comes from the Edda: "Against witches, use steel."

Magick has shown to be quite interesting at times,
I once had a physical interest that I'd been chasing around-and wanted to impress her by the 'simple' means of magickal destruction of her previous lover: whom was also a practitioner and wouldn't stop calling her. Using my recollection of his voice as a link, I did a slight projection into (what I saw as a casting circle) and beat him up and he called her the following morning detailing my gruesome ass-kickery politely left on her voicemail (specifically defining how I beat him up matched what I saw myself doing the previous night and she didn't warn him about my intentions). I was completely shocked by this: I was young and hadn't learned how real this stuff was until then. Recalling it still floors my perception of the universe, it's a wonder I still consider myself sane.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse