Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
 The Unimaginable Advancements In Technology, What if there was an invention that could transfer data directly betwe
Barnard
post Sep 8 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

I was thinking about this while I was in class (information technology). What if there was a device that could directly link your mind to your computer, just like an external harddrive. Let's say this device could look like nothing more then a headphone set with a brain symbol on it that rests on the upper part of the head. It would show the contents of the person's mind just like that of an external harddrive. The user could copy text, audio and video files from the computer straight into memory. Of course the device would have to be able to convert the format of the files.

What impact do you think the availability of this invention would have on society?

I think it would be a means to get a college level education in minutes or hours, depending on how fast the computer can transfer data. It could be used as evidence in a crime, or to show dreams and nightmares to others. Users could even delete traumatic memories that haunted them for years if they wanted to.

Of course this could have disadvantages too. Steganography is one of them. This is the technology of hiding a text document in a picture file. The text isn't part of the actual visual image and so the hidden message wouldn't show in a printed copy. With this scenario, a person could be brainwashed into associating whatever the hidden message was with the image. Another disadvantage would be spyware. A device like this should never be used while the computer is connected to the internet. As far as computer viruses getting into the mind, the only way this could work is if the attacker was skilled in both hacking and neuroscience. A working rootkit would be the worst thing to get into a persons mind.

This may seem like a strangely random thing to discuss, but class was just that boring today and I had to imagine something off the wall to stay awake.

--------------------
Stand strong for what's true in your heart, your mind and your soul. Be different. Be true. Be real.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Praxis
post Nov 10 2011, 06:43 PM
Post #2

Mage
Group Icon

Slowly but surely technology progresses to techno-neural devices.

Emotiv EPOC Neuroheadset:

(IMG:http://www.emotiv.com/upload/iblock/217/header_set.gif)

Emotive Spirit Mountain Demo Video Game (using EPOC Neuroheadset)

Spirit Mountain Demo Game

Jedi Mind Control Game:

Jedi Mind Control Game

So get ready folks.
It's coming sooner than most people think (pun intended)

In fact - these working prototypes are already here - and for sale!

This post has been edited by Praxis: Nov 10 2011, 06:44 PM

+Quote Post

Vagrant Dreamer
post Nov 11 2011, 09:06 AM
Post #3

Practicus
Group Icon

QUOTE(Praxis @ Nov 10 2011, 07:43 PM) *

Slowly but surely technology progresses to techno-neural devices.
Emotiv EPOC Neuroheadset:

(IMG:http://www.emotiv.com/upload/iblock/217/header_set.gif)
Emotive Spirit Mountain Demo Video Game (using EPOC Neuroheadset)

Spirit Mountain Demo Game
Jedi Mind Control Game:

Jedi Mind Control Game
So get ready folks.
It's coming sooner than most people think (pun intended)

In fact - these working prototypes are already here - and for sale!

Here, but still need a LOT of work before they're useful. However I suppose having people out there testing the hardware does help them advance.

The EPOC is very limited in it's usefulness, and the jedi mindtrick game responds to a prominence of lower level brainwaves, so it's a good concentration trainer. You have to get into a state of concentrating without getting distracted by the excitement of moving something with your mind - so, actually a useful tool for meditation.

I purchased both of these when I had heinous excess money to fling around last year. I don't regret the chance to try them out, but while the JMT 'game' is continually interesting when you are developing this ability, it is less so when you pick it up and realize you already have mastered the exercise. Still, confirmation.

The EPOC, though, is barely worth the money, and the main attraction is the novelty. Now, they have a software development kit that supposedly expands the capabilities of the hardware, and even an additional version of the headset (the really really expensive one) that has more bands of sensitivity, so that you can work with more commands, etc., but it isn't really intended for use in the general public yet, in my opinion.

Still, that it's there at all is promising.

peace

--------------------
The world is complicated - that which makes it up is elegantly simplistic, but infinitely versatile.

+Quote Post

Praxis
post Nov 11 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #4

Mage
Group Icon

In the summer of 1978, a group of buddies and I sat around after a session of Dungeons & Dragons and started a series of discussions about how fantastic it would be if someone somewhere invented a way to make a role playing video game. And when I say "video game" I mean the real basic home version ala Pong, and old-school coin op versions that started coming out on the market. After all, if they could make a science fiction based game where we shot aliens invading earth from the sky, why couldn't they make one according to a fantasy theme, where warriors wield swords and wizards cast spells to defeat attacking monsters in dungeons? Perhaps there could even be a system for character creation, where the computer would handle the dice rolls and all the complex rules, so that the game play could be less encumbered and more action oriented! Given the technology of the time, such talk seemed to us then as only plausibly coming out within the next hundred years. Anytime sooner than that seemed as likely as sparkling rainbows shooting out of a bull's backside.

One year later, Adventure for Atari came out and completely blew our minds. Others followed on Intellivision and Colecovision. Gauntlet appeared in the arcades in the mid 80s. And increasingly interactive graphics began to be added to various beloved RPG text games RPG TRS80s and Commodore64s. Ultimata seemed like the Second Coming. And the slew of MMORPGs that followed as the computers and Internet connectivity advanced have lead to the point where, today, what my old group of friends and I once dreamed for fantasy RPGs actually has come about, and even transcended our wildest speculations at the time.

Our concurrent discussions about technological innovation during the 80s ran ramptant, and were even more bold and brazen given our group's reading, movie, television, and computer interests. Although it's called the Internet today, back then the terms "datasphere", "dataplane", "cybersphere", etc... were used in the general speculative language for talking about and explaining it through various fiction. The most conservative guesses for when it would be invented, based upon technology of the time, was somewhere between 2030 and 2045, if we were lucky. Around 1995, the Internet truly hit Critical Mass and since has become the reality that my generation had dreamed about, but mostly dismissed as just truly entertaining grist for the science fiction mill.

Seems to me as if we are in the process of a similar visualization and manifestation cycle right now regarding the fulfillment of techno-neurological accomplishment. While crude, these devices are finally becoming available to the public. They seem to me to be akin to the "Pong Phase" of home video games - and I have no doubt that they will be considered as clunky and as laughably archaic as kids today used to playing World of Warcraft consider Adventure for the Atari2600.

Although Ray Kurzweil's timeline remains suspect, his basic premise regarding the climax (The Singularity) for the exponential evolution of technological advancement seems not only plausible to me, but also inevitable barring any serious societal glitch (like true economic crash, devastating world war, etc...) that would dramatically slow (if not completely halt) its arrival.

I am thrilled to see this all happening.
And I am looking forward to the progress to come.

This post has been edited by Praxis: Nov 11 2011, 11:01 AM

+Quote Post

Draw
post Nov 14 2011, 05:16 AM
Post #5

Zelator
Group Icon

Well this is somewhat of a long term goal of mine, to be at the edge of this 'user input' phase coming up, in fact partially the reason for focusing on the occult rather than my first obsession (computer programming)
I thought that by learning more about my minds interaction with the universe it might give me far better insights into the possible connectivity with computers.
My reason was flawed as i'm pretty sure i'd have worked it out anyway, when the new 'inputs' of the future arrive they will be cheep simple and wireless, without anything strapped to your head.
practically a new type of mouse, although i doubt that people will be uploading new skills like the matrix, it just doesn't work like that IMO.
I don't know when someone will hit out with this kind of tech, it's almost ripe for it though.

The REAL interesting stuff is with the development of proper AI, this is one of those challenges humanity has set it-self that will be a revolution far more intense than the internet,
I don't see the future to it being very good without using massive realistic on-line 'games' where people train their AI's like children for a long time, what is intelligence without it being like a child for a time?
Even the most basic single cell organism displays incredible 'intelligent' behavior, the cell wall by definition is very similar to that of a microprocessor.
When games get varied enough so that their isn't a single thing the same in it and an AI's existence isn't reliant on any one user's existence some really massive leaps will start to happen IMO.

Just like people with their souls, AI could be free from time an space,
capable of talking one on one with a billion people at the same time, remembering it all, effective immortality, incarnated to any form in any land even in our world.. in the form of robots
How unique is creativity to humans? i mean all most people see as intelligent is stuff humans do, an frankly, i don't see how a few generations of real AI couldn't excel at everything a human can do, an then some.
Taking into account how effective 'virtual enchantments' have proven to be, this is going to be a VERY interesting part of history.
Fancy talking to a bunch of god's? idol worship might just get some ace's to it's pack.

Bring on the dawn of the true immortals!

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse