2 Pages 1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
 sigils
Sage of the ages
post Nov 18 2004, 04:20 PM
Post #1

Neophyte
Group Icon

could someone explain sigils to me? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

--------------------
i am forever and my body is nothing but thought.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Dark_Mystic
post Dec 3 2004, 10:17 AM
Post #2

3 Posts Probation
Group Icon

I could tell you how to make a sigil but I can't exactly explain it to you. I have a complicated mind so when I start explaining things I just make it more complicated.

--------------------
"But those rare souls whos spirit gets magically into the hearts of men, leave behind them something more real and warmly personal than bodily prescence, and ineffable and eternal thing. It is everlasting life touching us as something more than a vague, recondite concept. The sound of a great name dies like an echo; the splendor of fame fades into nothing; but the grace of a fine spirit percades the places through which it has passed, like the haunting loveliness of mignoette"~~~~James Thurber, "Collecting Himself"

+Quote Post

Sage of the ages
post Dec 3 2004, 06:03 PM
Post #3

Neophyte
Group Icon

ok how does one make a sigils? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post

+ Kinjo -
post Dec 4 2004, 03:30 AM
Post #4

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

Try this one:
http://www.sacred-magick.com/sigilisation-tutorial.swf

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Sage of the ages
post Dec 6 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #5

Neophyte
Group Icon

thank you Kinjo! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post

R3QuI3M
post Feb 13 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #6

Initiate
Group Icon

I like the tutorials,especially the last part. "Charge The Sucker" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

EDIT: Please try and watch your language. Although we engage in adult discussions here at SM we have no restrictions on minor access.
-Mod

+Quote Post

mediocracy
post Mar 31 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #7

GONE
Group Icon

And remember to experiment!
It is easy to fall in to a routine of 'x' method works so i'll use it all the time, but remember that to learn new things you have to experiment and accept failure as well as success and learn from both. Pictoral/Visual Sigils are great, but try Audio Sigils for a change...try new methods and see what works.

ModSquad note
The creation of Servitors is linked in the minds of many with Chaos Magick. It should be noted, however, that the creation of Servitors is not the exclusive province of Chaotes. The Artificial Entities forum also contains posts on the creation, use (and abuse) of Servitors. The ModSquad will move Servitor related posts to the AE forum where such posts do not relate to chaos magick specifically.

This post has been edited by mediocracy: Apr 1 2005, 02:18 PM

+Quote Post

mediocracy
post Apr 1 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #8

GONE
Group Icon

So what is a Sigil?

Well basically it is a technique for manifesting ones Will. One starts with a statement of intent and ends up with a pictoral representation of this statement called a Sigil. The theory is that this pictoral representation bypasses the conscious mind and acts upon the higher or subconscious mind. Why? Well, the conscious mind if burdened with doubts and fears and a lot of other baggage that gets in the way of one manifesting ones true Will. Secretly many of us want to fail and are afraid of our true Will.

For example, ones true Will may be to date 'x', but what if she rejects us? The conscious mind is full of doubt...so bypass it!

Chaotes intersted in the creation and use of Sigils may wish to take some time to read the work of Spare, Hine and Carroll. Frater U D's book 'Practical Sigil Magick' is another well know source of information but has been out of print for some time and exchanges hands for high prices of eBay.

+Quote Post

babyalien
post Apr 2 2005, 11:45 AM
Post #9

Neophyte
Group Icon

QUOTE(mediocracy @ Apr 1 2005, 03:37 PM)
So what is a Sigil?

Well basically it is a technique for manifesting ones Will. One starts with a statement of intent and ends up with a pictoral representation of this statement called a Sigil. The theory is that this pictoral representation bypasses the conscious mind and acts upon the higher or subconscious mind. Why? Well, the conscious mind if burdened with doubts and fears and a lot of other baggage that gets in the way of one manifesting ones true Will. Secretly many of us want to fail and are afraid of our true Will.

For example, ones true Will may be to date 'x', but what if she rejects us? The conscious mind is full of doubt...so bypass it!

Chaotes intersted in the creation and use of Sigils may wish to take some time to read the work of Spare, Hine and Carroll. Frater U D's book 'Practical Sigil Magick' is another well know source of information but has been out of print for some time and exchanges hands for high prices of eBay.

Don't buy that out of print book which cost the earth, sigil magick is simple, study everything on the net!. If you start now and experiment it will pay off.

Goodluck!

This post has been edited by babyalien: Apr 2 2005, 11:50 AM

+Quote Post

+ Kinjo -
post Apr 2 2005, 12:26 PM
Post #10

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

In fact, the Sacred Magick Library has Liber Null and other great books that has a lot of info on sigil. Check them out.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

+ Kinjo -
post Apr 2 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #11

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

QUOTE(mediocracy @ Apr 1 2005, 01:46 AM)
  Pictoral/Visual Sigils are great, but try Audio Sigils for a change...try new methods and see what works.

I'm not sure I heard of Audio sigil before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused012.gif)
That is interesting! Care to explain pls?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Marconus
post Apr 3 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #12

Neophyte
Group Icon

Audio sigils are just sigils created using sounds,

I like doing the classic conversion method (a.k.a. Write-n-Slash) then arrange the remaining letter to make sounds that I chant til gnosis.

There's another method where after the letter conversion is done, the letters are numerologically converted to numbers then the repeats are eliminated again and one of three things can happen:

1. Add them up to you get one number that can be turned into a geometric shape (3 is a triangle, 4 is a square, etc.). This one can lead to repeat sigils (which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your views about repeat sigils.)

2. Build the sigil with the numbers ( 6 and 9 could be eliminate since they're the same shape reversed).

3. Convert all the numbers into geometric shapes and build the sigil.

Just my 3 cents. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

bym
post Apr 4 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #13

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Hmmm......add to the audio sigil derivations using various scales and then add an 'olfactory' element, and then some appropriate mudra and VIOLA, a very potent combination! Or it may just go "BANG!" A good time by all! Try to use a scientific/magical method to your experiments and keep careful logs of the laboratory conditions so you'll be able to reproduce the results (...or not...) when you wish. Happy Experimenting! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

Fio Praeter Humanus
post Apr 4 2005, 01:15 PM
Post #14

Theurgist
Group Icon

Just a quick note. In Chaos Magick sigils are a intent of will. A creation of desire or goal. But not to cause issues I wanted it to be known that in Ceremonial Magick sigils are magical signitures. Spirits, demons, angels each have a sigil that is used as sort of a telephone number that allows us to contact that spirit. Sigils can also be created for divine names and such for various reasons.

My two cents...

Frater NERO

--------------------

+Quote Post

babyalien
post Apr 9 2005, 10:02 AM
Post #15

Neophyte
Group Icon

http://www.chaosmagic.com/archives/sigils/...tements-o.shtml

+Quote Post

A_Smoking_Fox
post Apr 12 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #16

Zelator
Group Icon

I use colors and geometrical shapes, and my own intuition when creating sigils.
I often work many hours on a sigil and they are always rather graphical.
I work in photoshop cs when creating my sigils.

I think a good sigil is intuitively created, by the subconscious. I experiment until i find the exact right color and the exact right shape, and its like a click, i just know when it is finished and operative for the cause.
When i look at it without charging i have to feel the right vibe.

I have never used the above method when creating sigils. Sometimes i use the rose cross, in a deformed way. Honestly it is the first time a hear of the above method, I will try it in the future.

I think a sigil library would be great for this forum. a locked topic with a collection of sigils, one could pm his sigils and the intent to a moderator, who would review it and post it to the locked tread.
This way a clean index of sigils and intents could be made.

--------------------
In LVX,
Frater A.V.I.A.F.

+Quote Post

+ Kinjo -
post Apr 12 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #17

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

A sigil library would be great, but we do need people submitting sigils so we can build the library here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) We'll think of something.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

A_Smoking_Fox
post Apr 12 2005, 11:21 AM
Post #18

Zelator
Group Icon

I have some, were can i place them?

--------------------
In LVX,
Frater A.V.I.A.F.

+Quote Post

+ Kinjo -
post Apr 12 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #19

Bu Kek Siansu
Group Icon

For now, you can post your sigil on a new thread and post the link/s here.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Kiwi Kid
post Apr 13 2005, 10:09 AM
Post #20

Neophyte
Group Icon

Heh, good idea! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I would post some sigils, but mine are rather sloppy.......particularly when compared to Smoking_Fox's, heh.

--------------------
*~*We have eyes, but do we truly see?*~*

+Quote Post

A_Smoking_Fox
post Apr 13 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #21

Zelator
Group Icon

the quality of the Sigil is not defined by the quality of the graphics. Some of my better Sigil are hand drawn on a piece of paper, and look like shit. The way and the speed by which they do there job is what defines their greatness.

I would like to see your Sigils.

--------------------
In LVX,
Frater A.V.I.A.F.

+Quote Post

Kiwi Kid
post Apr 13 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #22

Neophyte
Group Icon

Heh, that is true, but often by spending time making it look good etc, you usually put more energy into it. But yeah, I'll post some, as soon as make some new ones, heh, alot of my ones I made when first interested I've thrown away a month or so ago, because I thought they were "worthless" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)....meh.

Also, I just realized you live in Belgium, where do you live? I lived there for a year, about 3 years ago, in Brussels, Overjise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
*~*We have eyes, but do we truly see?*~*

+Quote Post

A_Smoking_Fox
post Apr 13 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #23

Zelator
Group Icon

Yeah i spend a lot of time on the graphics of my sigils. It takes me many hours to create a sigil.
I carefully choose every color and graphical effect. I also review them when making to see how well they stare.
I often change the colors and size of things many times during creation, until it feels perfect.
The number of points and lines in certain figures and shapes in my sigils also has meaning, although not always.

I live in a small rural town. nearby "Tienen" and "Diest".

--------------------
In LVX,
Frater A.V.I.A.F.

+Quote Post

Avitus
post Jul 26 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #24

Neophyte
Group Icon

I always thought Sigils were similar to the Goetic Seals does anyone else see this parallel?

+Quote Post

Acid09
post Aug 17 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #25

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

A sigil is symbol with magickal representation that is charged and operates through ritual contruction and its pre-determined use after ritual. Anything could be used as a sigil. But the best ones are those created according to personal artisitc style. These types of sigils are tapped into the mind's abstract qualities. Which follows along the lines of "magick is the art of creating rational change from an irrational state of mind".

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

bym
post Aug 17 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #26

Gone But Not Forgotten
Group Icon

Well said.
We need to have a more permanent gallery here on Forum. The beautiful artwork performs not only magically but aesthetically as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

--------------------
Rest in Peace Bym.
http://www.sacred-magick.org/index.php?showtopic=7662

~The Sacred Magick Management

+Quote Post

Acid09
post Aug 18 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #27

Health Hazzard
Group Icon

I think the combination of artistic perspective and spiritual symbolism is a very potent way to learn and use magick. It not only inspires the creator and expresses his inner being but can inspire those lucky enough to gaze at the artistry as well.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

forsakentroll
post Sep 16 2005, 01:44 AM
Post #28

Initiate
Group Icon

Nice thread, i've always wondered about sigils.

However I've always thought sigils are meant to be destroyed, or
at the very least locked away and never seen again (burried).

Does this happen only with certain types of sigils, or am I thinking
of a completely different form of magick?

+Quote Post

mediocracy
post Sep 16 2005, 02:30 AM
Post #29

GONE
Group Icon

Some people destroy the sigil after charging as this helps them to visualise the release of the magickal energy. Other people don't do this and keep their sigils. Use whichever method works best for you.

+Quote Post

GaiusOctavian
post Sep 16 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #30

Gone
Group Icon

Yesterday I had created my first sigil that concerned me getting my special order contacts...Now when I last got in contact with the company last week they had told me they were still making the contacts after about a month of waiting, so I got tired and created a sigil "I Will have my contacts tommorow", I charged it using some saliva, blood, and a little meditation..Now not only after I put it in a drawer did I realize that the sigil really concerned other people since I'll be the one who just gets them, not ship them out, or be the person actually driving around to deliver them...But to my suprise, it worked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)...I received my contacts not more than an hour ago, and after I got my contacts is when I destroyed the sigil...I had just left it in my desk...I guess a sigil doesn't have to be destroyed for it to work..

+Quote Post

Closed
Topic Notes
2 Pages 1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse